WC: May 3 GDT - Canada vs. Slovenia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crossbar

Apr 29, 2003
48" above the ice
Looks like Luongo can stay mentally sharp with 20 or fewer shots through out the course of a game. ;) Bravo on keeping Canada's GA column low by completing the shutout and bravo Team Canada for adding 8 more in the GF column. :handclap:

Oil_slick9416*

wasn't a pretty game, and it was very boring to watch. the D wasn't that great again....they need to improve an fast with a big game coming up in 2 days. once again the forwards played great especially maltby and draper. they owned the boards down low and when was added to that line it was almost unstopable.i think it was the 7th goal, when morrison scored...for some reason i find that that goal so funny, it was almost like he didn't want to score. the goalie was down and out. the puck was just lying there morrison took and kind of made a move then tapped it in, i dont think he'll ever score an easier goal.

that being said the slovenian goalie played extremely well today. as gord and Pmac said it could have easily been a 15 goal game. he made some great saves today.

Steveorama

Aug 20, 2003
Oakville, ON
Visit site
"bravo Team Canada for adding 8 more in the GF column."

Good point. If we end up tying the Yanks on Thursday, that 8th goal might be huge (i.e. 1st versus 2nd place). Of course, it depends on how the US fares versus Latvia today...

Vic Rattlehead*

Wow, wish I could have saw the game, especi***y since Thornton had four points. Damn school!

wassup77

Nov 15, 2004
Sweden
Steveorama said:
"bravo Team Canada for adding 8 more in the GF column."

Good point. If we end up tying the Yanks on Thursday, that 8th goal might be huge (i.e. 1st versus 2nd place). Of course, it depends on how the US fares versus Latvia today...

since it went 3-1 it means that the eight goal wasn't needed to win +/- over USA.

Bill McNeal

Jul 19, 2003
Montreal
19bruins19 said:
Wow, wish I could have saw the game, especi***y since Thornton had four points. Damn school!

That's the second place on these boards I've seen "all" censored in one of your posts. Da hell? :)

rulin

Jan 30, 2004
Due to school, I wasn't able to watch the game (but I guess I didn't miss much). But after reading these comments, I'm very interested in seeing how Canada's D will hold up against Team USA. They will be Canada's first true test, no offense to Latvia and Slovenia, and from what I have seen and heard, I don't know if the D will be able to handle it...

Mysterion

Oct 15, 2004
Just saw this

A quick look at Canada after Tuesday's win

Pierre Lebrun
Canadian Press

Tuesday, May 03, 2005

ADVERTISEMENT

INNSBRUCK, Austria (CP) - A report card look at Canada after Tuesday's 8-0 win over Slovenia at the IIHF world championship:

Forwards

Rick Nash, A: Can you spell M-V-P? Another awesome display of his talent. Scored once and had seven shots on goal. Joe Thornton, A: Playing like a No. 1 offensive centre, dangerous on every shift. Scored twice.

Brendan Morrison, A: The only player on his line going on all cylinders right now. Scored second and third goals of the tournament.

Simon Gagne, B-plus: Quietly doing all the dirty work on the No. 1 line. Had goal and assist and plus-3 rating.

Kirk Maltby, B-plus: Flying out there and put up goal and assist even though that's not his job.

Kris Draper, B: Not his kind of game but nifty setup on Maltby's goal.

Ryan Smyth, B: Nice wraparound goal after demotion to checking line.

Mike Fisher, B: Created numerous scoring chances for himself but couldn't finish.

Patrick Marleau, B-minus: No points and wasn't on the ice for any of the eight goals but he played a good defensive game in limited action on fourth line.

Shane Doan, C: Struggling to find his offensive game.

Brenden Morrow, C: One shot and no points, but in limited ice time on fourth line.

Scott Walker, C: No shots and no points, again in limited ice time on fourth line.

Dany Heatley, C: Last year's M-V-P has yet to demonstrate any of that kind of game. Time to get it going.

*snip*

Last edited by a moderator:

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Honestly, this game means nothing. Just like the Latvia game meant nothing. Just like Thursday's game vs. the U.S. will mean nothing. We win the pool? So what. Due to the fact we have to have 16 teams (at least four have no business being there), and two round robins, the first round robin means nothing for strong teams. Wake me when the next round robin starts, and we don't play joke teams against Slovenia, whose best player ever is 17.

Steveorama

Aug 20, 2003
Oakville, ON
Visit site
God Bless Canada said:
Honestly, this game means nothing. Just like the Latvia game meant nothing. Just like Thursday's game vs. the U.S. will mean nothing. We win the pool? So what. Due to the fact we have to have 16 teams (at least four have no business being there), and two round robins, the first round robin means nothing for strong teams. Wake me when the next round robin starts, and we don't play joke teams against Slovenia, whose best player ever is 17.
So why are YOU posting here now? Why not wait until next week when the games "mean something"? Just curious.

Mysterion

Oct 15, 2004
Oops missed the defencemen part.

Dany Heatley, C: Last year's M-V-P has yet to demonstrate any of that kind of game. Time to get it going.

-

Defence

Wade Redden, A: Very active in both zones with precise passes and good anticipation. Two assists and plus-3 rating.

Sheldon Souray, B-plus: Looked more comfortable in his second-ever world championship game, used his heavy shot from the point - leading team with eight shots on goal - and played a physical game.

Chris Phillips, B-plus: Jumped into the play and looked more confident than first game.

Ed Jovanovski, B: Seemed to be keeping himself for the U.S.

Scott Hannan, B: Ditto.

Dan Boyle, B-minus: Only one shot on goal from offensive blue-liner.

Robyn Regehr, C: Physical in his own zone but didn't record a single shot in a game where Canada had 56.

-

Goal

Roberto Luongo, B-plus: Faced only 12 shots but made a sensational glove save in the first period.

Jorge Garcia

Dec 9, 2004
About time somebody noticed that Redden has been Canada's best D-man by far. And don't worry about how the D will hold up against the Americans. They'll be fine. It's Hal Gill and his little American friends who are in for a bad night.

Mysterion

Oct 15, 2004
The press in europe have noticed too

INNSBRUCK, Austria (CP) - The Canadian Press's three stars of Canada's 8-0 win over Slovenia at the IIHF world hockey championship Tuesday:

First star: Joe Thornton, Canada. Boston Bruins centre set the tone with early goal. Had four points.

Second star: Brendan Morrison, Canada. Vancouver Canucks forward was flying en route to two-goal effort.

Third star: Wade Redden, Canada. Ottawa Senators defenceman had dominating performance at both ends, recording two assists and plus-3 rating

Vic Rattlehead*

The Albino said:
That's the second place on these boards I've seen "all" censored in one of your posts. Da hell? :)

Zone Alarm firewall. For some reason, on my laptop, "all" is censored. If I shutdown Zone Alarm, it works.

Oil_slick9416*

Jorge Garcia said:
About time somebody noticed that Redden has been Canada's best D-man by far. And don't worry about how the D will hold up against the Americans. They'll be fine. It's Hal Gill and his little American friends who are in for a bad night.
:biglaugh:

i like the way you put that
:bow:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad