WC: May 3 GDT - Canada vs. Slovenia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Leaf

Phaneuf would be an improvement over half of Canadas D.Canada looks much better BUT it is Slovenia ..the Pembroke Lumber Kings would beat these guys by 4 or 5 goals .
The USA game will be a true test .

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Hannan is pretty much the only D-man playing well.

What about that Slovanian goalie? Poor guy must have lost 10 pounds so far.

Everest

Apr 19, 2005
Heater continues to play for passing instead of shooting...end of 2.
One d-man who has not been bad...Dan Boyle...at least he is timing his offensive jumps...Jovo is so random and erratic...the forwards really don't know where/when or how with him...its pure chaos whenever he's on the ice...little wonder he's with Regher

espo*

ryz said:
Jovonoski was the worst Canadian D-man on the Olympic and World Cup squads during the games and so far has been again in these World Championships. How long before another young Canadian D-man replaces him on these international teams. It almost seems like he can't play at the level. Get him out.
By the end of Salt Lake he was one of our best defensemen and the coaches knew it,that's why his shifts went way up the last few games.As for the world cup,well,he got injured in the first game,pretty hard to show what he can do when that happens. He can play and be an impact player at any level,he's rusty here so far,if he can get his rythm going he'll be one of our best d-men.

Steveorama

Aug 20, 2003
Oakville, ON
Visit site
cyclops said:
By the end of Salt Lake he was one of our best defensemen and the coaches knew it,that's why his shifts went way up the last few games.As for the world cup,well,he got injured in the first game,pretty hard to show what he can do when that happens. He can play and be an impact player at any level,he's rusty here so far,if he can get his rythm going he'll be one of our best d-men.
Agree totally.
He has been frightening in his own zone. Not to make excuses for Jovo, but the ice is crap in that arena...not exactly condusive to Jovanovski's speed skating game. But the poor play has more to do with the layoff, IMO.
He'll get better as the tourney progresses, and he is the type of game-breaker from the back-end we may need in later games. The team is not exactly packed with skilled offensive dmen. And attacking with speed from the back end is going to be needed to beat trapping teams.

espo*

Steveorama said:
Agree totally.
He has been frightening in his own zone. Not to make excuses for Jovo, but the ice is crap in that arena...not exactly condusive to Jovanovski's speed skating game. But the poor play has more to do with the layoff, IMO.
He'll get better as the tourney progresses, and he is the type of game-breaker from the back-end we may need in later games. The team is not exactly packed with skilled offensive dmen. And attacking with speed from the back end is going to be needed to beat trapping teams.
I find he gets roasted on hfboards a lot and i can't figure out why.I know Jo-Vo can be risky at times and some games he makes himself look bad out there but really those games are few and far between during the course of a season he's involved in from start to finish.When on he's on he's one of the top defensemen in the league,at least top 20 and for stretches of time top ten.Hockey officials know it too....that's why he keeps getting picked for these teams,Tambellini and those guys are'nt stupid,think hitchcock would want a guy on the team that can't play defense and adds nothing? Regehr get's lot's of love on hf boards (i hardly ever see anyone say a bad thing about him and i like him too) but he has'nt been any better then JO-Vo at this tournament either so far.Jovanovski is skating fine for a guy who has'nt played a lick all year..ya have to think once he get's in the right mental groove he'll really help.I'm not sure if there is time but he's got the ability.No doubt about that. So far he's been real rusty but that's what it is...rust.If he can get his "a" game back in time he'll help...a lot.

Rick Middleton

May 14, 2002
Ottawa, ON
cyclops said:
I find he gets roasted on hfboards a lot and i can't figure out why.I know Jo-Vo can be risky at times and some games he makes himself look bad out there but really those games are few and far between during the course of a season he's involved in from start to finish.When on he's on he's one of the top defensemen in the league,at least top 20 and for stretches of time top ten.Hockey officials know it too....that's why he keeps getting picked for these teams,Tambellini and those guys are'nt stupid,think hitchcock would want a guy on the team that can't play defense and adds nothing? Regehr get's lot's of love on hf boards (i hardly ever see anyone say a bad thing about him and i like him too) but he has'nt been any better then JO-Vo at this tournament either so far.Jovanovski is skating fine for a guy who has'nt played a lick all year..ya have to think once he get's in the right mental groove he'll really help.I'm not sure if there is time but he's got the ability.No doubt about that. So far he's been real rusty but that's what it is...rust.If he can get his "a" game back in time he'll help...a lot.
When he's good, he's great.
When he's bad, he's terrible.

The one knock on Jovo's game is his inconsitency. You never know which Jovo will show up.

Everest

Apr 19, 2005
The Golden Child of Slovenia was excellent. He nearly scored in the final minute,sailing a 40 foot slapshot over the short side...just missed. I can't believe he is that strong/confidant at such a young age. He looked like a guy who could score 40/50 goals in the CHL next season...if somebody ever pulled him across the pond.

Everest

Apr 19, 2005
Yes,Ithinkso..but they did have a few good chances in the game...prbably had a better game than they did vs the USA...despite the score.

rival

Feb 15, 2004
Victoria
cyclops said:
By the end of Salt Lake he was one of our best defensemen and the coaches knew it,that's why his shifts went way up the last few games.As for the world cup,well,he got injured in the first game,pretty hard to show what he can do when that happens.
Glad someone else said this before I had the chance too. In Salt Lake he was awesome.

I think so far Jovo is skating and passing well but the decision making is not there. The good thing about this tournament is the long round robin/qualifying whatever it's called portion that gives the guys who haven't played in a while a chance to get their game up to speed. If this was another short tournament I'd ask Jovo to focus on shutting down oppositions top lines because he is a monster when put in that role. If guys like Boyle and Redden are producing I might ask him to do that anyways.

Kopitar matched up far better physically than I could have ever imagined. He can skate, shoot, comes back to his own end and for the most part makes great decisions. Very, very impressed by him (even in a blowout).

I never realized what a great skater Hannan is when he gets going at top speed.

Art Vandelay

Jan 14, 2004
Stockholm
www.eliteprospects.com
Everest said:
The Golden Child of Slovenia was excellent. He nearly scored in the final minute,sailing a 40 foot slapshot over the short side...just missed. I can't believe he is that strong/confidant at such a young age. He looked like a guy who could score 40/50 goals in the CHL next season...if somebody ever pulled him across the pond.
Anze Kopitar today signed a 1-year contract with Södertälje SK of the SEL, he spent his last season in Södertäljes junior team.

Everest

Apr 19, 2005
Lets hope that the game vs USA will bring out more intensity in our defencemen...I think they have not felt challenged so far. The relaxed pace lends itself to falling asleep/or getting too fancy. Overall,this defence core is best suited for physical play/along the wall. Again...Dan Boyle has been very good...he should be helpful in an offensive role...and a few others need to reign in thier chaotic play...and let the forwards carry the puck/start the offence.

rival

Feb 15, 2004
Victoria
Bonde 007 said:
Anze Kopitar today signed a 1-year contract with Södertälje SK of the SEL, he spent his last season in Södertäljes junior team.
They mentioned during the game that he planned to play a year in the SEL then come to North America to play junior.

ryz

Dec 24, 2004
Canada
This is off topic, but what is the addresse of the official website of the tounament?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->