GDT: WC - Czechs vs Swedes

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
This should be the match of the day. Could have some big implications on final seeding for crossover. Swedes with the great looking D and their always great teams here. Czechs with a strong looking squad (for them).

We found our O. Kase can't come (having a baby) and Michal Kempny is coming (bit of a surprise). Waiting on Pasta (injured), Nosek and Kampf.

I expect Vejmelka to start and a bit more aggressive effort from our NHLer's who were carried by our Extraliga guys to victory yesterday.

Reactions: jj cale

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
I placed all my bets on Czech regular time win, because Sweden is doing that roster roulette and keeping the door open for some NHL players as long as they can.

Czechs being able to practice for longer with a fuller roster and combined with a new very good Finnish coach is combination that will lead the Czechs to a win. Sweden's game will look messy and possibly Sweden will look tired on the 3rd period, playing only 3 lines of forwards. I'm unaware if Sweden has more than 9 forwards for today, but if they do, then those guys who just joined the team didn't get to practice with team Sweden much if at all.

What can put a little curveball to my prediction is that Swedish have strong defenders and maybe they can over come more adversity than I predict because of that.

With this strategy Sweden will get themselves into a QF match up against one of Canada or Switzerland who will play top-2 in the other group. I got Sweden placing 3rd or 4th.

Elias40

Jan 3, 2020
I placed all my bets on Czech regular time win, because Sweden is doing that roster roulette and keeping the door open for some NHL players as long as they can.

Czechs being able to practice for longer with a fuller roster and combined with a new very good Finnish coach is combination that will lead the Czechs to a win. Sweden's game will look messy and possibly Sweden will look tired on the 3rd period, playing only 3 lines. I'm unaware if Sweden has more than 9 forwards for today, but if they do, then those guys didn't get to practice with team Sweden much if at all.
Aman and Lang are on the roster today, with 11 forwards, six defenders and two goalkeepers.

I also told the Czechs that they would win in the 60th minute. On the second ticket I have their win by at least two goals.

Reactions: Mestaruus

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018

Czechs being able to practice for longer with a fuller roster and combined with a new very good Finnish coach is combination that will lead the Czechs to a win. Sweden's game will look messy and possibly Sweden will look tired on the 3rd period, playing only 3 lines. I'm unaware if Sweden has more than 9 forwards for today, but if they do, then those guys didn't get to practice with team Sweden much if at all.
Based on this, sounds like we are ripe for an upset. We will see! I could see us winning this in a nice game and I could easily see the Swedes beating us like they do 80% of the time.

I think we have the edge in net today. I also think our forwards, today, have a few more explosive options (Hertl, Vrana, Krejci) but I'm 100 percent positive their D is much better! Like, not even close.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Aman and Lang are on the roster today, with 11 forwards, six defenders and two goalkeepers.

I also told the Czechs that they would win in the 60th minute. On the second ticket I have their win by at least two goals.

That shuts the door for some NHL reinforcements for Sweden. Do you know how many non goalie slots Sweden has open now? 22 is the maximum allowed.

Based on this, sounds like we are ripe for an upset. We will see! I could see us winning this in a nice game and I could easily see the Swedes beating us like they do 80% of the time.

I think we have the edge in net today. I also think our forwards, today, have a few more explosive options (Hertl, Vrana, Krejci) but I'm 100 percent positive their D is much better! Like, not even close.

There is a little chance for an OT match but my feeling is that it's most likely a Czech win on regular time. I don't see Sweden winning this on regular time at all though. Sometimes these games are decided by who scores on PP and who doesn't, so that remains to be seen.

Reactions: Czechboy

Elias40

Jan 3, 2020
That shuts the door for some NHL reinforcements for Sweden. Do you know how many non goalie slots Sweden has open now? 22 is the maximum allowed.

There is a little chance for an OT match but my feeling is that it's most likely a Czech win on regular time. I don't see Sweden winning this on regular time at all though. Sometimes these games are decided by who scores on PP and who doesn't, so that remains to be seen.
A total of 17 players were registered against Austria, if they now wrote Aman and Lang, they are at number 19, if I have the right information. They have to register a third goalkeeper, so there should be two vacancies, if I'm counting well. But it doesn't matter, no Berggren, no Söderblom but Lang and Aman. I'm frustrated.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
A total of 17 players were registered against Austria, if they now wrote Aman and Lang, they are at number 19, if I have the right information. They have to register a third goalkeeper, so there should be two vacancies, if I'm counting well. But it doesn't matter, no Berggren, no Söderblom but Lang and Aman. I'm frustrated.
5 empty spots for skaters, 1 for a third goalie.

Reactions: Dala

Elias40

Jan 3, 2020
5 empty spots for skaters, 1 for a third goalie.
Of course, I miscalculated, I'm ashamed. Thanks for the correction, I'm so frustrated and angry with Garepnlöv that I can't even count the number of players on the roster.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Of course, I miscalculated, I'm ashamed. Thanks for the correction, I'm so frustrated and angry with Garepnlöv that I can't even count the number of players on the roster.

Gambler's strategy to wait for the players for this long, but gamblers sometimes win (gold) :). I think that this strategy will matter even in the FIN-SWE match and Sweden will secure Canada or Switzerland for themselves in the game of death.

If I was a Swedish person right now I'd be excited but mad at the same time probably, because this could work and it is exciting to see some of your own nations best players playing instead of some more boring players.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
sweden have no chance against the czechs. when was last time sweden won over czechs in wc, 15 years ago?

Elias40

Jan 3, 2020
Gambler's strategy to wait for the players for that long, but gamblers sometimes win (gold) :). I think that this strategy will matter even in the FIN-SWE match and Sweden will secure Canada and Switzerland for themselves in the game of death.

If I was a Swedish person right now I'd be excited but mad at the same time probably, because this could work and it is exciting to see some of your own nations best players playing instead of some more boring players.
But you have to know who Garpenlöv can really get from the NHL. The players from Minnesota refused, I think no one contacted Ullmark, Johansson from Capitals refused. So, waiting for the decision of Bäcsktröm, Nylander and Grundström from LA, Kempe has no contract and will not come. Players from the SHL final can take two places. So yes, five places is a lot, but it depends on the quality of those players.

I hope Söderblom will be among the five players.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
But you have to know who Garpenlöv can really get from the NHL. The players from Minnesota refused, I think no one contacted Ullmark, Johansson from Capitals refused. So, waiting for the decision of Bäcsktröm, Nylander and Grundström from LA, Kempe has no contract and will not come. Players from the SHL final can take two places. So yes, five places is a lot, but it depends on the quality of those players.

If Calgary lose tonight Markström, Lindholm, Backlund, Järnkrok, Andersson and Kylington can become avaliable and none are FAs. That is a starting goalie, a 1C, 2C, 3C and two top 6 defencemen who we could get. Maybe Zibanejad is avaliable too, depending on tonight. Considering the coach is Garpenlöv maybe all decline though.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
If Calgary lose tonight Markström, Lindholm, Backlund, Järnkrok, Andersson and Kylington can become avaliable and none are FAs. That is a starting goalie, a 1C, 2C, 3C and two top 6 defencemen who we could get. Maybe Zibanejad is avaliable too, depending on tonight. Considering the coach is Garpenlöv maybe all decline though.

Either Finns or Swedes can get a big chunk of players from that Dallas vs Calgary game 7. Finns are kind of hoping that Dallas would get eliminated, because there are 5 players there. Finland does have only 2 slots available though.

Btw I got Rangers winning that game if Crosby is still injured, so maybe no Zib for you.

Kibe

Regular User
Jan 17, 2012
Helsinki

Arvidsson injured or declined already?

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Kylington's an FA.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Either Finns or Swedes can get a big chunk of players from that Dallas vs Calgary game 7. Finns are kind of hoping that Dallas would get eliminated, because there are 5 players there. Finland does have only 2 slots available though.

Btw I got Rangers winning that game if Crosby is still injured, so maybe no Zib for you.
I think both are unpredictable 50/50 games really. I probably hope Calgary lose in hope of reinforcements but if they win at least the Swedish colony goes far. Think you feel the same way.

As a Rangers fan I really do hope the Rangers win. I’m not so sure about that though.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
I think both are unpredictable 50/50 games really. I probably hope Calgary lose in hope of reinforcements but if they win at least the Swedish colony goes far. Think you feel the same way.

As a Rangers fan I really do hope the Rangers win. I’m not so sure about that though.

Not having Crosby hurts though. He's still one of the best players in the league. Rangers got the home crowd perhaps helping them.

Yep I do feel that way about the teams which have some of the better Finnish players. I'm not a fan of any particular NHL team myself. However plenty of those Finns are already on the second round such as Florida Panthers, Carolina and Colorado so no need for Dallas to go the second round this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad