U18: WC 2019 Division I, II, III

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
The ranking on the websites has been corrected. Israel now ahead of Iceland.
I would assume they also had them exchange the medals and I wonder how the teams reacted to the whole thing.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
So 2A starts in a few days and from Lithuanian perspective the situation is pretty sucky. Although we have a really good generation which would definitely be in the mix for gold in full strength Grinius underwent the surgery and won't be there, Noreika is in the process of winning the WSHL and won't be there and Mažulis (who was invited to play for Mora in the summer) will play his first games this season after missing it entirely due to career-threatening injury.

Very sucky situation and winning the division seems borderline impossible under the circumstances.

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
Spain - Korea 0:10
SOG 26:22

Anyone watched the game?
Skimmed through the stream to watch the goals. Tragic. I understand Spain's goaltenders were both so distraught they threw themselves in front of the team bus after the game.
Luckily, the bus went between their legs.
I kid, I kid.
But the goaltenders were ... not good. Maybe one or two of those goals were deserved.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
2nd day of the tournament but the decider is being played today, Poland - Lithuania this evening. Chances are 20-80 in Poland's favor but we'll see how it goes.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Poland, meanwhile, ensures the promotion with another dominant win - 8-2 against Estonia.

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Looks like Germany will be promoted this year. With two games left against Ukraine and France they should be able to hold on to that 1st place.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Considering he is 2 years younger than the rest of the players, yeah, he looks good. Will be interesting to see what he can do in HV71 J18 elit next season. Is there like a minimum age at which players can participate in J20?
Jesper Wallsted was Vasteras starting goalie in SuperElit at the age of 15 last year so I don't think there is. Or at least it's definitely not 15.

In D1B, things are meanwhile getting very interesting. Hungary smashed Italy 7-3 hence before the last round all 3 of Hungary, Italy and Great Britain are under serious threat of relegation.

Gianpaolo

Jan 28, 2006
In D1B, things are meanwhile getting very interesting. Hungary smashed Italy 7-3 hence before the last round all 3 of Hungary, Italy and Great Britain are under serious threat of relegation.
Italy's head coach Ivo Machacka resigned his position just a few days before the start of the tournament, because his home team HC Pustertal was heading to the finals of Alps Hockey League and he is serving as assistant coach for the team. HC Pustertal was a candidate to win this league all the season long and nobody planned how to deal with this situation. Absolutely disappointed!

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
What a heartbreaker in IA where Ukraine allows a goal which relegates them with 7 seconds left.

Italy, meanwhile, solves their problems with 3-1 win against GB but it now puts Hungary on the spot - they need at least a point against Japan who have been perfect thus far. The only positive is game means nothing to Japan.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Aaand Hungary does it. 5-3 win at home against Japan and they send GB to IB. Tough luck for GB, they played a really good tournament but alas, Hungary won the game that mattered and GB didn't.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Japan icing a terrible backup goalie, was simply painful to watch him in the net.

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Anybody watch France vs. Germany?
Did Germany really score 3 goals in 21 seconds in the final 30 seconds of the game to finish with a 9-3 victory?
That's just weird.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad