WBS Penguins sign Ty Loney

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
No I'm saying there's nothing to complain about. This is just a typical minor league depth signing. No need to get excited or ticked off as it's unlikely to ever affect the big team.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
It's a WBS signing, good for him.

If we were wasting a 50-man spot on him I'd be pissed, but on a minor league deal he'll likely move between Wheeling and WBS and that's perfectly fine. Anyone having negative feelings about our AHL team signing someone to an AHL contract needs to step off the ledge and take a deep breath.

Giskard

Jun 20, 2008
Alps
WOW something real is happening! So far in this offseason we got all the compensatory 3rd round picks we could, we almost trade Malkin and we're still mourning Despres.
At least we don't waste a second draft pick on him, so it's good.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I get disgusted every time I hear a forward has to work on his defense. NO! Every forward needs to focus on their offense first, second and last. Hockey is so dumbed down nowadays.

:laugh: what?

You think a forward only needs to focus on offense? That's 'dumbed' down hockey.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
I have no knowledge of this player, but yeah, my gut reaction is this is that Samuelsson/Bathgate/Meloche/Malone legacy crap (though Malone did work out and Samuelsson's at least a serviceable call-up type). Descriptions from those who have seen him are at least positive.

That's my presumption until proven otherwise. Expectations are 0 because of this, so maybe he'll pleasantly surprise.

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
Throughout the organization we need to get bigger at wing so these signings are steps in the right direction. Baby steps maybe, as Loney and Krause don't look to have much NHL upside. But they cost next to nothing and are mature enough to immediately step in at the minor pro level. Loney got 2 goals and 2 assists in 5 AHL games as a tryout with Norfolk. Krause was initially signed back in April but spent his tryout with Wheeling (3 goals and 5 assists in 13 ECHL games). He had been getting top marks for leadership and scholar-athlete stuff in the WCHA, and captained Minnesota-Duluth in his junior and senior years.

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
My initial reaction is negative. The kid could have earned a spot, but all my mind thinks of real quick is yet another Penguin alumni that the organization has to look out for. Band of brothers. That's how broken this organization has made my mind. Every reaction is a negative one.

They signed him to an AHL-only deal. How is that not having to earn his spot?

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Sometimes the nepotism angle works in the other direction. Maybe Loney got the same offer from a dozen other teams, but chose the Penguins to be close to home and be with an organization he's half-familiar with?

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I have no knowledge of this player, but yeah, my gut reaction is this is that Samuelsson/Bathgate/Meloche/Malone legacy crap (though Malone did work out and Samuelsson's at least a serviceable call-up type). Descriptions from those who have seen him are at least positive.

No offense, but Samuelsson wasn't a bad pick and if the Pens took Henrik, we'd be happy with him too. Malone wasn't bad either, people just want to ***** for the sake of *****ing? My goodness.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
It's pretty hard to be an NHL organization for almost 50 years and avoid any descendants of former players or management altogether. Impossible even. Hockey is a small sphere in general.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
It's pretty hard to be an NHL organization for almost 50 years and avoid any descendants of former players or management altogether. Impossible even. Hockey is a small sphere in general.

Especially since hockey has more legacy players than other sports, just because of the opportunities having a player for a father opens. Also money. Money helps.

If we drafted Ty in the 2nd round out of high school that'd be different, but it's an AHL contract for a guy who has AHL games under his belt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad