WBS Penguins sign Ty Loney

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
I remember seeing him as a freshmen when I would watch Denver games (spying BB) and I remember him having a great motor. Good grit and hustle. Great work ethic.

Last edited:

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
My initial reaction is negative. The kid could have earned a spot, but all my mind thinks of real quick is yet another Penguin alumni that the organization has to look out for. Band of brothers. That's how broken this organization has made my mind. Every reaction is a negative one.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
My initial reaction is negative. The kid could have earned a spot, but all my mind thinks of real quick is yet another Penguin alumni that the organization has to look out for. Band of brothers. That's how broken this organization has made my mind. Every reaction is a negative one.

I have no knowledge of this player, but yeah, my gut reaction is this is that Samuelsson/Bathgate/Meloche/Malone legacy crap (though Malone did work out and Samuelsson's at least a serviceable call-up type). Descriptions from those who have seen him are at least positive.

puck swami

Apr 29, 2004
He put up 4 points in his 5 AHL games at Norfolk at the end of last year, so we know he can compete at the AHL level. He's got a good attitude and is a team guy.

As for the NHL, he has the size, hands and pedigree for the next level, but needs to get faster and work on his d-zone coverages to make the next step, IMHO. Gambling a minor league contract seems like a small price to pay. For an undrafted player, he's come a long way already.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK

His numbers are decent, he has good size and he did well in his brief stint with the Admirals. I'm sure the connections don't hurt but I can't see how he's not worth an AHL contract (if he has a solid year he could earn himself an NHL contract). He had more consistent numbers in college than Carter Rowney did.

We also signed another guy, Adam Krause. Loney's numbers are much better than his.

Harv

R.I.P. Pavol.
Dec 30, 2007

My thoughts.

Wait 'til Steigy and Errey get ahold out him ''Ehhhh Steigy, look at that Loney boy go. Looks like just his old man out there!''

And don't forget the ROOT Sports special with Potash. 12 mins of the same clip over and over again and a few still shots of him as a PeeWee.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
If Ty Loney brings nothing more than what his dad did...he'd make a great character 4th liner.

When I worked a retail window at the post office, Troy used to come in all the time. He is a gigantic, solid brick ****house of a man. Even now.

BrunoPuntzJones

Biscuit Scorer
Apr 17, 2012
Washington, DC
I have no knowledge of this player, but yeah, my gut reaction is this is that Samuelsson/Bathgate/Meloche/Malone legacy crap (though Malone did work out and Samuelsson's at least a serviceable call-up type). Descriptions from those who have seen him are at least positive.

At least they didn't use a draft pick on him.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Let's keep in mind these are AHL-only deals. So he and Krause will probably spend more time in Wheeling than WB/S.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
we talk about needing size. This guy is 23yo and big, and they didn't waste any assets to get him. I can't see the negatives.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
That's very interesting. I took english class with him my freshman year at PR before I switched high schools. I assume it's pretty much an organizational depth signing.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
I get disgusted every time I hear a forward has to work on his defense. NO! Every forward needs to focus on their offense first, second and last. Hockey is so dumbed down nowadays.

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
Yep - sorta reminds me of the UFA college version of Philip Samuelsson.. and we all know how that one worked out. Mario helping his buddies out.

At the same time, it's low risk as it gets.. so can't complain too much, but still it's sad to think that our scouting/personnel moves all come down to "well did they know mario?" "if so, yes lets draft or hire them"' It certainly does not surprise me though.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
This is an AHL contract, the big college free agents are going to want an ELC.

puck swami

Apr 29, 2004
I get disgusted every time I hear a forward has to work on his defense. NO! Every forward needs to focus on their offense first, second and last. Hockey is so dumbed down nowadays.

Interesting point. Here's my take - unless you are a rare ultra-gifted forward in the upper quartile of NHL talent who can thrive putting points on the board on a consistent basis against any defense, any NHL GM will tell you that the other 3/4s of your forwards have to be two-way forwards just to stay in the league, especially those with big bodies. You mentioned hockey being dumbed-down today, and you are right in that purely gifted offensive players seem more rare today - but it's not because they don't have skills or devote enough practice to it. Defensive systems are so much better taught these days and every player out there can skate - even the seventh d-man on any team. Gap control has become systematic. When you watch tape of 80s hockey for example, offensive players had so much more time and space tp produce than they do today. The quality of goaltending and goalie coaching is so much better now, since the butterfly position changed the game. From a GM's point of view, it's cheaper and somewhat easier to build a sound defensive team that can keep you in any game than it is to build an offensive juggernaut that dominates with three great, high scoring lines.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad