Ways the Kings can address goaltending next season

Kudelski37

Feb 19, 2021
I thought Blake was really clear about that.

Petersen will play NHL and Copley has a contract while Portillo plays AHL
Our tandem is Copley and Petersen, why is that so difficult to understand?

There won't be any goalie trade
Petersen will have a chance to make the Kings opening night roster, but he needs a full summer of slump-busting in order to not shit the bed for the third straight year. The odds of this happening are worse than the odds of successfully navigating an asteroid field. Maybe with the Kings having an ECHL affiliate now, they can just send him there so Portillo can get lots of starts in Ontario.

Reactions: kinghock

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005

You have to apply some kind of social intelligence to Blake's comments.

He's saying that because it's what he's supposed to say. He's not going to trash Petersen in public.

Kings will acquire another goalie in the offseason. Petersen, if he's not traded, will get a chance to compete in camp, and will likely get sent down afterwards.

Last edited:

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
If Gavrikov comes in around 5.5, that's going to take moving walker & Iafallo.

Any money for goaltending beyond that needs to be cap in cap out. Unless cutting Roy or Iafallo & another of the 4M wings or moving Cal or not signing a LD, there isn't even money to bring back Korpisalo.

Going to have to wait a year. Also doesn't address Lizotte at 3C.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
If Gavrikov comes in around 5.5, that's going to take moving walker & Iafallo.

Any money for goaltending beyond that needs to be cap in cap out. Unless cutting Roy or Iafallo & another of the 4M wings or moving Cal or not signing a LD, there isn't even money to bring back Korpisalo.

Going to have to wait a year. Also doesn't address Lizotte at 3C.

4D chess really

now when people hammer him for not addressing concerns we've had for 3 years, he has the "well we have no cap" excuse baked in

Reactions: Lt Dan

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
4D chess really

now when people hammer him for not addressing concerns we've had for 3 years, he has the "well we have no cap" excuse baked in
Gavrikov, most important move is getting Clarke a long term partner.

3C punt until trade deadline & reassess. Try Byfield, Vilardi, really anything until then.

Goal, can't fix until Cal's 5M is bought out. Maybe a deadline deal works.

It isn't an excuse. Just reality. Can pay Hawks to take Cal & then not have the assets to get the right goalie.

Would like to see the D adjusted to what it's going to be in 2 years. Get Clarke, Spence, Björnfot in & get reps. Then add a top6 C & a starting goalie by 24-25.

What does PLD & Helle cost from WPG with them taking back Cal & retaining salary? Don't think Blake has enough assets for that.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Well the Leafs have proven that you need a good goaltender to advance in the playoffs. They made plenty of changes and still have a weakness in net. It might be working out for Vegas but that is just one team. Most winning teams in the league have a top notch goaltender between the pipes. Look at the Oilers, they're journeyman Gt didn't get it done. Look at Florida, Carolina, Dallas and Seattle, they all have really good goaltenders between the pipes.
Huh? Woll was excellent, and Samsonov was one of the better goalies in the NHL this year.

Carolina and Seattle are starting journeymen goalies Anderson and Grubauer.

And that's in addition to Vegas employing Adin Hill and Laurent Brossoit. True legends.

Also, Oettinger has been one of the worst goalies in the playoffs.

Last edited:

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Who cares who is net next year, its irrelevant. This team isn't going to win a round no matter how it shakes out. The house isn't in order. There is no leadership, no extra effort, no size, no grit, the goalie and #4-6 defensemen aren't going to change any of that. The whole identity is broken.

Play the kids, sign Vilardi and Kupari, let everyone else go. Do NOT offer Kopitar a new contract. Keep the cap space open to spend next summer because if you play the kids and god forbid they win their jobs, it would be asinine to lock them out of the lineup behind new vets who won't make enough of a difference anyway.

This team is MUCH worse off than folks think. They need to tear down as much as possible and truly embrace the next era of Kings. Anything else is a guaranteed failure and just postponing the inevitable.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Well the Leafs have proven that you need a good goaltender to advance in the playoffs. They made plenty of changes and still have a weakness in net. It might be working out for Vegas but that is just one team. Most winning teams in the league have a top notch goaltender between the pipes. Look at the Oilers, they're journeyman Gt didn't get it done. Look at Florida, Carolina, Dallas and Seattle, they all have really good goaltenders between the pipes.

The Leafs have the lowest xDawg in the league. Even 2012 Quick isn't leading that team to a cup.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Who cares who is net next year, its irrelevant. This team isn't going to win a round no matter how it shakes out. The house isn't in order. There is no leadership, no extra effort, no size, no grit, the goalie and #4-6 defensemen aren't going to change any of that. The whole identity is broken.

Play the kids, sign Vilardi and Kupari, let everyone else go. Do NOT offer Kopitar a new contract. Keep the cap space open to spend next summer because if you play the kids and god forbid they win their jobs, it would be asinine to lock them out of the lineup behind new vets who won't make enough of a difference anyway.

This team is MUCH worse off than folks think. They need to tear down as much as possible and truly embrace the next era of Kings. Anything else is a guaranteed failure and just postponing the inevitable.
Let Kopitar walk. That’s rich. Might as well say “punch out god”. Blake’s already got the blank check ready.

The Leafs have the lowest xDawg in the league. Even 2012 Quick isn't leading that team to a cup.
XDawg? Is that like “naw dawg”?

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Let Kopitar walk. That’s rich. Might as well say “punch out god”. Blake’s already got the blank check ready.

XDawg? Is that like “naw dawg”?
Nothing will change until they cut that cord. It needed to be done 7 years ago. Everything else is a wate

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
You have to apply some kind of social intelligence to Blake's comments.

He's saying that because it's what he's supposed to say. He's not going to trash Petersen in public.

Kings will acquire another goalie in the offseason. Petersen, if he's not traded, will get a chance to compete in camp, and will likely get sent down afterwards.
He pretty much trashed him, saying he better plays like a starter since he is payed to be one

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
Blake made his bed when signing Petersen to that horrendous contract. He can't move it, live with it. So I expect a cheap UFA goalie carrousel until:

A: Cal's contract runs out and we sign a decent starter or look for a trade then.
B: A kid magically develops into an NHL goalie within 3 years.

This off season we should not spend actual assets for a goalie, the D needs alot of work first + add some size on the roster.

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica

Because Copley and Petersen is potentially the worst goaltending duo in NHL next season. The Kings will lose games because of goaltending if that's the case.

Petersen doesn't have the mental makeup to be an NHL goalie and Copley was an outlier that was winning games despite putting up very mediocre stats, and that won't last forever.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
The leafs have also proven that you can't win the playoffs without depth and a joke of a D core

chris kontos

Feb 28, 2023

imo the season wont be a failure if you see success as selling lots of season and single game tickets.
"this team is MUCH worse off than folks think"- ive been mildly amazed through the year that if the goal is actually winning in the playoffs, the hockey astute members of this board dont see that truth as obvious. id upvote your post a million times if it was allowed.
my fear is that as long as blake and his imbicile management team continue to provide the $$$ aeg wants and that aeg's goal is the same as the imbiciles everything will stay the same for years to come. this franchise has come a long way from the hockey siberia it once was. here's hoping the imbiciles dont turn it back into the joke it once was.

Papa Mocha 15

I love the smell of ice in the morning.
Nov 27, 2008
Hanging with Brad Doty.
Blake made his bed when signing Petersen to that horrendous contract. He can't move it, live with it. So I expect a cheap UFA goalie carrousel until:

A: Cal's contract runs out and we sign a decent starter or look for a trade then.
B: A kid magically develops into an NHL goalie within 3 years.

This off season we should not spend actual assets for a goalie, the D needs alot of work first + add some size on the roster.
I read an article the other day that for LA could trade to Chicago to get rid of Peterson but it will cost them a prospect or roster player and maybe a draft pick to free up money for Gabrikov. They're rebuilding and need to reach the cap floor so if that's the case, I'd say do it and dump a player who is expendable, take your pick and move out both contracts for future considerations or something lame-o like that.

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
I read an article the other day that for LA could trade to Chicago to get rid of Peterson but it will cost them a prospect or roster player and maybe a draft pick to free up money for Gabrikov. They're rebuilding and need to reach the cap floor so if that's the case, I'd say do it and dump a player who is expendable, take your pick and move out both contracts for future considerations or something lame-o like that.
I’ll trade Petersen and Durzi for a years supply of Giordano’s pizza. Come on, Chicago, that’s a sweet deal.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009

Like who though? I'm obviously not opposed, but which prospect? Spence? Kaliyev? Fagemo? Chromiak? Durzi? And which pick? Are we trading Petersen + Kaliyev + 2nd to Chicago to move that contract? Do they accept anything less?

jgs

Oct 24, 2019
Like who though? I'm obviously not opposed, but which prospect? Spence? Kaliyev? Fagemo? Chromiak? Durzi? And which pick? Are we trading Petersen + Kaliyev + 2nd to Chicago to move that contract? Do they accept anything less?
Hell the Kings are not using Spence and most likely won't as long as TMac is the coach. Spence would probably want in on that trade so he could get out of the Kings organization and go to one that will play him.

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
Turcotte seems sensible. He could go back to his home town, get a fresh start. He might even make that roster out of camp.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad