Wayne Simmonds top line LW

PK16

Jul 28, 2013
Simmonds cannot play with Giroux, he's not nearly good enough with the puck.

He seems much better with the puck this season. Initially, I had the same thought as you, but recently, I have noticed that his puck and possession skills have been much better. Just my 2 cents.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
He seems much better with the puck this season. Initially, I had the same thought as you, but recently, I have noticed that his puck and possession skills have been much better. Just my 2 cents.

They have. He looks like a completely different player than when he first got here. His shot too. He never beat goalies before with his wrister,

McNasty

Jan 20, 2007
Rutgers
I haven't seen anything out of Simmonds that would indicate he's even remotely improved his passing or puck handling.

Edit: Please don't come in here with the one time he pulled off a toe drag in the boston game and got a shot off, I'm talking about in possession.

PK16

Jul 28, 2013
I haven't seen anything out of Simmonds that would indicate he's even remotely improved his passing or puck handling.

Edit: Please don't come in here with the one time he pulled off a toe drag in the boston game and got a shot off, I'm talking about in possession.

Guess we will have to agree to disagree. Obviously, he does not process play at the speed that Jake and G do, but I certainly think he does process play faster than B. Schenn...and he was given a shot on their line. Like I said, this is just my observation.

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
Simmonds cannot play with Giroux, he's not nearly good enough with the puck.

This is my initial thought as well, though I haven't seen him enough this season to see if it's improved. I know he's immaculate on the boards and down low in battles, I'm just afraid too many great Giroux/Voracek passes will be squandered by Simmonds' iffy hands...kinda like they are with Raffl right now

I wouldn't mind seeing Voracek and Schenn play together again (with Schenn centering). I'm not sure who'd that leave G to play with though...Raffl and Vinny? Vinny and Simmer?

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012

of course you haven't, because you refuse to. you're a huge Simmonds hater. he doesn't have great hands but you act like he's Scott Hartnell.

PK16

Jul 28, 2013
No reason to change the first line at all, they've been great.

It's not a question of whether the first line should be changed. I agree, I would not move Raffl off the first line in favor of Simmonds at this time due to a number of factors, including spreading around the offense to other lines. The question raised was could he play on the first line with G and Jake. I happen to think he could, and that his puck handling and decision making seem better this season.

Patrick Division

Jan 13, 2008
NJ
It's not a question of whether the first line should be changed. I agree, I would not move Raffl off the first line in favor of Simmonds at this time due to a number of factors, including spreading around the offense to other lines. The question raised was could he play on the first line with G and Jake. I happen to think he could, and that his puck handling and decision making seem better this season.

Exactly. I think Raffl is doing a good job on the top line and probably should be left alone for now. That being said... I also feel that if Simmonds played with G and Jake he could score 40+ goals easily. A lot of people want/wanted Evander Kane on that line (I would love that too BTW) but what would we have to give up to get him? Sanheim + Laughton + 2015 1st +Etc. He makes over $5mil yr. and Simmer makes less than $4mil. Then we need a 2nd line RW. We either fill from within using what we have or if we trade for a 2nd line RW the price is much cheaper then an Evander Kane or some other player thats considered a "top line" LW.

blinds

Jan 5, 2012
If the first line starts to struggle, I wouldn't be against giving it a try for a few games. If he can get to where he plays on the PP at ES, he could be dangerous.

Simmonds has looked a lot better with the puck on his stick this season, not sure what you're talking about McNasty. He's been carrying it up a lot for his line.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Simmonds does handle a puck a lot better than he used to... I think partially though it is due to his improved skating, over the last two years he has got way, way faster and that combined with his strength means he can give himself a lot of time, especially near the boards, to make plays. He is far less rushed than he used to be.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
It's early yet, but right now Michael Raffl is on pace for just under 50 goals. I'll be shocked if he even gets to within 20 of that by the end of the season, but while he's producing with G & Jake you don't change anything.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I have a wild idea, why not go with what's working?

The first line is scoring, why would you take a guy off it who has put up 6 goals in his first 10 games. And who does the dirty work for the two playmakers and is responsible defensively? Duh.

Why would you break up Schenn - Bellamare - Simmonds just when it looks like they're developing some chemistry? If Schenn is going to make a permanent shift to LW, leave him with the same linemates for a couple months, given that they actually fit together well.

As far as Couts, it would be good to upgrade Umberger, but he's been with Read for a couple years and it seems to work, plus this is a solid checking line that can actually provide a little offense.

The real question is how to get rid of Vinnie, since I have a problem seeing him centering Rinaldo and Akeson. But that may be something Berube has to live with until next year, meanwhile limit Vinnie to mostly PP duty - given how good the first three lines may be, they can rack up most of the ES duty. This is one reason Berube wants Rinaldo on the PK, to free up guys like Couts and Raffl for ES duty.

Next year, fourth line is probably Rinaldo - Laughton - Leier/Cousins. They dump Vinnie and Umberger and add a LW for Couts until AK is ready.

PK16

Jul 28, 2013
I have a wild idea, why not go with what's working?

The first line is scoring, why would you take a guy off it who has put up 6 goals in his first 10 games. And who does the dirty work for the two playmakers and is responsible defensively? Duh.

Why would you break up Schenn - Bellamare - Simmonds just when it looks like they're developing some chemistry? If Schenn is going to make a permanent shift to LW, leave him with the same linemates for a couple months, given that they actually fit together well.

As far as Couts, it would be good to upgrade Umberger, but he's been with Read for a couple years and it seems to work, plus this is a solid checking line that can actually provide a little offense.

The real question is how to get rid of Vinnie, since I have a problem seeing him centering Rinaldo and Akeson. But that may be something Berube has to live with until next year, meanwhile limit Vinnie to mostly PP duty - given how good the first three lines may be, they can rack up most of the ES duty. This is one reason Berube wants Rinaldo on the PK, to free up guys like Couts and Raffl for ES duty.

Next year, fourth line is probably Rinaldo - Laughton - Leier/Cousins. They dump Vinnie and Umberger and add a LW for Couts until AK is ready.

I am not hearing many suggest moving him up to the first line. The question being raised was does he have the ability to play on the first line. Some of us, including myself, think that his awareness, puck handling skills, etc... have improved such that he has the ability to play with G and Jake. I think he has improved from even last year in many attributes that would make him successful on the first line. Nevertheless, as stated above, I would keep the lines as is at this time.

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík

That was a russian tap, not a toe drag.

Patrick Division

Jan 13, 2008
NJ
OK Berube read HF Boards!!! Simmer looked OK at LW for just getting thrown out there in the 2nd period. If he gets some practice in and gets comfortable on the left side and work on the chemistry with Jake and G it could be Sick!!!

AFTeRMaTH*

I really hope Berube gives him a shot for a few games. I think he will be great. Give Schenn and Couturier a few games together too. I am really hoping those two top lines work and we can keep them that way.

Simmer - G - Voracek
Schenn - Couturier - Read

All we have to do now is find a spot for Bellemare because he is too good to be on the 4th line, but who will take face offs in his place???

blinds

Jan 5, 2012
This is actually exciting. Simmonds is exactly what Berube talks about wanting there and he could do really well if he can adapt to LW. I hope he keeps Simmonds there the entire time Raffl is out, he's getting wasted on our 3rd line. And Schenn looks great with Couts and Read anyway.

Patrick Division

Jan 13, 2008
NJ
I really hope Berube gives him a shot for a few games. I think he will be great. Give Schenn and Couturier a few games together too. I am really hoping those two top lines work and we can keep them that way.

Simmer - G - Voracek
Schenn - Couturier - Read

All we have to do now is find a spot for Bellemare because he is too good to be on the 4th line, but who will take face offs in his place???

I agree with those top 2 lines and about Bellmare. What a signing!! I'd like a 3rd line of

Raffl - Bellmare - Akeson

I know some will say -not checking liney enough. Maybe but I still want it.

bb12

Aug 21, 2014
USA
simmer - g - jake
Schenn - Coots - read
Umby - Vinny - Bellmare
Akeson - VV - Rinaldo (idk who plays where)

Add raffl into the mix on thoes bottom 2 lines and give him some pp time. If only we could get rid of umby and/or vinny so raffl and bellmare can both play top 9 minutes all year.

dingbathero

No Jam? How about PB
Jul 14, 2010
St. John's, NL
It'll never work, Simmonds on top line LW... come on... he is horrible with the puck, doesn't have the puck skills to keep up. He is a shoot first player, we need something different up there

I'm joking of course. It makes sense he is there.... can we get rid of Vinny?

onlylordsvsmorebp

HEAVYHOCKEY ENTHUSIAST
Dec 27, 2011
VAN ISLE CANADA
It'll never work, Simmonds on top line LW... come on... he is horrible with the puck, doesn't have the puck skills to keep up. He is a shoot first player, we need something different up there

I'm joking of course. It makes sense he is there.... can we get rid of Vinny?

he has been getting alot better with the puck though and he can finish plus hes so good in front of the net...and all three of them are feisty in there own ways. that line will have serious attitude. IF it works it will be awesome.

wait...you were joking?

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
It has potential to work. He can get the dirty goals on that line like Hartnell. If Hartnell can keep up, Simmonds can keep up. What are you, racist?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad