Wayne Simmonds top line LW

Patrick Division

Jan 13, 2008
NJ
I think this solves 2 problems. 1 we get the top line LW we need and 2 B Schenn can play a position he's more comfortable playing. Simmonds scores most of his goals from the left side anyway. We've tried every other player on that line and nothing has stuck yet so why not? If he could get comfortable there that would be a Beast of a top line!!

Simmonds-G-Vora
Read-Coots-Schenn
Umby-VLC-Raffl
Rinaldo-PEB-Akeson

Schenn and Vinny are both shoot left and are very clearly uncomfortable as LW and much more comfortable as C/RW. This may help Schenn blossom into a good/great young player here and we can stop arguing if he's a bust or another JVR that we give up on too soon and he blossoms elsewhere.
It will be an adjustment for Simmer to get passes on the back hand and passing and other things but G and Voracek will do most of that and Simmonds just needs to bury the puck.
This clearly isn't our season with this D so why not try it out for 5-10 games and if it doesn't work then move him back to RW and...hello Jack Eichel.
What are your guys thoughts?

Last edited:

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
1) What makes you think Schenn will play better at RW than LW?
2) While the top line is impressive, there is little secondary scoring in that lineup.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
I think this solves 2 problems. 1 we get the top line LW we need and 2 B Schenn can play a position he's more comfortable playing. Simmonds scores most of his goals from the left side anyway. We've tried every other player on that line and nothing has stuck yet so why not? If he could get comfortable there that would be a Beast of a top line!!

Simmonds-G-Vora
Read-Coots-Schenn
Umby-VLC-Raffl
Ronaldo-PEB-AK

Schenn and Vinny are both shoot left and are very clearly uncomfortable as LW and much more comfortable as C/RW. This may help Schenn blossom into a good/great young player here and we can stop arguing if he's a bust or another JVR that we give up on too soon and he blossoms elsewhere.
It will be an adjustment for Simmer to get passes on the back hand and passing and other things but G and Voracek will do most of that and Simmonds just needs to bury the puck.
This clearly isn't our season with this D so why not try it out for 5-10 games and if it doesn't work then move him back to RW and...hello Jack Eichel.

Ronaldo on the wing would be epic....:sarcasm:
ronaldo.jpg

Nvxs07

Aug 1, 2014

Simmonds-G-Vora
Read-Coots-Schenn
Umby-VLC-Raffl
Ronaldo-PEB-AK

I have always been against Have our top line as
Simmer/G/Vora

I guess cause Simmonds scores regardless that our top line is all powerful and then what? Idk that's just me. Not how I want to word it either. Just drawling blanks from lastnights blow out :(

I still think Schenn needs top line space to see what happens 4 periods isn't enough for me.

Schenn/G/Vora
Simmer/Coots/Read
Umbergerler/Vinny/Raffl
Rinaldo/Peb/Akeson(Vande)

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Woh long day. AK registered as Aube-Kubel to me. I was like how in the world...

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

Simmonds-G-Vora
Read-Coots-Schenn
Umby-VLC-Raffl
Ronaldo-PEB-AK

If Simmonds can play LW, this lineup could be good.

Simmonds-Giroux-Voracek
BSchenn-Couturier-Read
Raffl-Lecavalier-Umberger
Rinaldo-Bellemare-Akeson

But it's a huge if. Simmonds has done nothing but play RW in his time here.

Patrick Division

Jan 13, 2008
NJ
If Simmonds can play LW, this lineup could be good.

Simmonds-Giroux-Voracek
BSchenn-Couturier-Read
Raffl-Lecavalier-Umberger
Rinaldo-Bellemare-Akeson

But it's a huge if. Simmonds has done nothing but play RW in his time here.

I believe BSchenn played RW on a line w Couturier in Adirondack. That's why I have him on the right side. And you're right that is a huge if. I think it's worth a shot.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I have a wild and different idea..

Split up Giroux and Voracek..

I know, I know..their the only tandem on the team that is dangerous night in, night out..

But when they go up against the best defensemen in the league, they can be shut down at ES. Why not split them up at ES and let them each carry their own line? Voracek seems to lug the puck a lot more than Giroux these days anyway. This way, if one line is being shut down by the McDonaghs and Charas of the league, the other line can still do damage.

Line 1: Schenn-Giroux-Simmonds
Line 2: Read-Couturier-Voracek
Line 3: Umberger-Lecavalier-Raffl
Line 4: Rinaldo-Bellemare-Akeson

Why not try something completely different? Its been 85 games under Berube and the offense has been average to bad at Even Strength.

Also, until Lecavalier is back, keep Bellemare as the 3rd line center and Jones as the 4th line center. VandeVelde has good wheels but is a defensive liability. As others have mentioned, the 4th line has fallen apart defensively since replacing Akeson and Bellemare with Jones and VandeVelde.

Last edited:

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
I have a wild and different idea..

Split up Giroux and Voracek..

I know, I know..their the only tandem on the team that is dangerous night in, night out..

But when they go up against the best defensemen in the league, they can be shut down at ES. Why not split them up at ES and let them each carry their own line? Voracek seems to lug the puck a lot more than Giroux these days anyway. This way, if one line is being shut down by the McDonaghs and Charas of the league, the other line can still do damage.

Line 1: Schenn-Giroux-Simmonds
Line 2: Read-Couturier-Voracek
Line 3: Umberger-Lecavalier-Raffl
Line 4: Rinaldo-Bellemare-Akeson

Why not try something completely different? Its been 85 games under Berube and the offense has been average to bad at Even Strength.

I was pretty adamant about splitting up Giroux and Voracek last year, but gave up on it because it seems like a forgone conclusion that Berube will have none of it. Voracek is at the point in his development where he can drive the play for a line, and even better than Giroux at times.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I was pretty adamant about splitting up Giroux and Voracek last year, but gave up on it because it seems like a forgone conclusion that Berube will have none of it. Voracek is at the point in his development where he can drive the play for a line, and even better than Giroux at times.

Exactly. Most of their ES shifts Giroux is riding shotgun to Voracek, who has turned into a dominant possesion player.

Why not give them both the responsibility of carrying a line? Pair them together for the PP still and late in games when we need to load up and go for the win.

It could give us a more balanced attack and at the same time, help Couturiers offensive development because with Snake on his line, he would get more offensive zone starts.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Exactly. Most of their ES shifts Giroux is riding shotgun to Voracek, who has turned into a dominant possesion player.

Why not give them both the responsibility of carrying a line? Pair them together for the PP still and late in games when we need to load up and go for the win.

It could give us a more balanced attack and at the same time, help Couturiers offensive development because with Snake on his line, he would get more offensive zone starts.

This is my thinking as well.

The Rage Kage

Apr 21, 2014
Bellemare-Giroux-Simmonds
Read-Couturier-Voracek
Raffl-Lecavalier-Schenn
Umberger-Laughton-Akeson

I wouldn't mind seeing that

Hardnell

Feb 27, 2012
Kind of tired of everyone saying 'when' Schenn develops. It's a way bigger 'if.' Just watch him during his shifts, he has no hockey IQ. He's a decent skater and can hit. But just watch him. He thinks he can beat NHL goalies with wrist shots from the top of the circle. He has no idea where to be on the ice in even strength or PP, you can see him just stop skating in the neutral zone when he doesn't have the puck, wondering what his teammates will do next. He leaves open ice on the PP to do whatever is going through his head. He has no ability to accept a pass, as if the puck explodes off his blade when he attempts it. It's tough to teach those who have trouble learning. I would love Hextall unload him to a team that thinks he might be good. Maybe a team in Alberta would be clueless enough to take him.

kelmitchell

Jun 11, 2013
Newark Delaware
Kind of tired of everyone saying 'when' Schenn develops. It's a way bigger 'if.' Just watch him during his shifts, he has no hockey IQ. He's a decent skater and can hit. But just watch him. He thinks he can beat NHL goalies with wrist shots from the top of the circle. He has no idea where to be on the ice in even strength or PP, you can see him just stop skating in the neutral zone when he doesn't have the puck, wondering what his teammates will do next. He leaves open ice on the PP to do whatever is going through his head. He has no ability to accept a pass, as if the puck explodes off his blade when he attempts it. It's tough to teach those who have trouble learning. I would love Hextall unload him to a team that thinks he might be good. Maybe a team in Alberta would be clueless enough to take him.
But yet so many people thinks he's gonna turn into something good like jvr, I think he's an average 3rd line player..... nothing more

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006

Schenn has his fair share of detractors on this board.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
You'd think Schenn didn't score 20 goals last year playing with the brutal Lecavalier..

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Schenn is where he should be, on the third line with Simmonds and Bellamare, finding out if he can play wing, if so, that line is solid.

Raffl - G - V, is just fine, Raffl added 10 lbs and is the perfect guy to do their dirty work and free V (who has also added strength) to be a playmaker.

You don't break up Couts and Read, Umberger is a temporary solution at LW, but down the road, someone better has to be found.

The key is to have three balanced lines that can rotate through and make it difficult for opposing coaches to matchup if all three lines can forecheck, play responsible defense and score. And if Laughton and Leier can give you a 4th line that can do the same, well, that's a sweet group of forwards.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Schenn is where he should be, on the third line with Simmonds and Bellamare, finding out if he can play wing, if so, that line is solid.

Raffl - G - V, is just fine, Raffl added 10 lbs and is the perfect guy to do their dirty work and free V (who has also added strength) to be a playmaker.

You don't break up Couts and Read, Umberger is a temporary solution at LW, but down the road, someone better has to be found.

The key is to have three balanced lines that can rotate through and make it difficult for opposing coaches to matchup if all three lines can forecheck, play responsible defense and score. And if Laughton and Leier can give you a 4th line that can do the same, well, that's a sweet group of forwards.

I like that you referred to that line as the "3rd line." So often they are called the 2nd line but in actuality Couturier and Read are on the ice more than them. Umberger looked good on that line last night (although his only goal came in the middle of a line change and was assisted by Giroux) Hopefully it gives him the confidence he needed to start making an impact.

DitClapper

May 15, 2014
Bruins fan here. Huge fan of Simmonds. Check out this tribute I made of him, let me know what you think

DitClapper

May 15, 2014
Awesome montage thanks for sharing!

Only small critique would be it kind of makes Simmonds look more like a goon than he really but still very nicely done!

Thanks a lot, he throws heavy. One of the best power forwards in the game right now. A bout between him and Lucic would be one for the ages!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad