Speculation: Way Too Early Prediction Thread

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
In the early stages of the NHL playoffs, which consist of a dozen teams I am actively cheering against, I thought it might be fun to kick off some offseason predictions just for fun. I'm open to suggestions for questions to add, as well. These are just top of the head things.

1) Cup Finals - who is in it, and who wins?

2) Who wins the Draft lotto?

3) Do the Sabres make a selection with their first round pick? If so, who?

4) Do the Sabres make any non-draft pick only trades at the draft, i.e., bringing in or shuttling out an actual player - includes AHL and prospects?

5) Who, if any, is brought back amongst Jost, Girgensons, and Okposo?

6) Do the Sabres acquire a goaltender this offseason (not via draft)?

7) How many defensemen do the Sabres select at the Draft?

8) Do the Sabres make any NHL roster additions via trade between the Draft and the start of Training Camp [not prospect camp]?

9) Who is Captain of the 23-24 Sabres?

10) Who is the starting goalie for the first regular season game of the 23-24 season?

11) Who is Owen Power's defensive partner in game 1?

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
1) Cup Finals - who is in it, and who wins? Probably Boston (grrr).

2) Who wins the Draft lotto? Anaheim (poor Columbus).

3) Do the Sabres make a selection with their first round pick? If so, who? Yes, someone I don't like.

4) Do the Sabres make any non-draft pick only trades at the draft, i.e., bringing in or shuttling out an actual player - includes AHL and prospects? No.

5) Who, if any, is brought back amongst Jost, Girgensons, and Okposo? Probably all three.

6) Do the Sabres acquire a goaltender this offseason (not via draft)? No.

7) How many defensemen do the Sabres select at the Draft? Four.

8) Do the Sabres make any NHL roster additions via trade between the Draft and the start of Training Camp [not prospect camp]? Yes, but nothing impressive.

9) Who is Captain of the 23-24 Sabres? Okposo or Dahlin.

10) Who is the starting goalie for the first regular season game of the 23-24 season? UPL.

11) Who is Owen Power's defensive partner in game 1? Jokiharju.

Not trying to sound negative, just answering as if I had money on it. I'm afraid the summer won't be quite as interesting as this...

1682190336862.png

Reactions: TheMistyStranger

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Well, I just got back from 2025, so let me help out here.

If you see Terry tell him DO NOT TRADE FOR D-HOP. ITS VERY IMPORTANT.

To answer your questions:

1) Boston v Dallas, Seguin gets his revenge.
2) San Jose
3) Yes, another forward
4) No, they actually gain another pick
5) Okposo. Girgensons goes to Pittsburgh.
6) I mean...they do. But.....well, it's Anderson again.
7) 1. Eff that D pipeline, evidently
8) No
9) Okposo
10) Sigh, Anderson.
11) Erik Johnson (gross i know. Real galaxy brain thinking. Adams literally said "Well who would know the pressures of being 1st overall d-man better than Erik Johnson?). 6M per too. At least it's just a 2 year deal.

The good news is, as all time travelers know, I simply visited a VERSION of 2025. Me posting this (hopefully) causes enough of a butterfly affect to change things.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY

2) San Jose
3) Yes, another forward
8) No
9) Okposo
10) Sigh, Anderson.
11) Erik Johnson (gross i know. Real galaxy brain thinking. Adams literally said "Well who would know the pressures of being 1st overall d-man better than Erik Johnson?). 6M per too. At least it's just a 2 year deal.

The good news is, as all time travelers know, I simply visited a VERSION of 2025. Me posting this (hopefully) causes enough of a butterfly affect to change things.
The guy literally had a retirement party right there on the ice.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA

2) San Jose
3) Yes, another forward
8) No
9) Okposo
10) Sigh, Anderson.

I don't think there's any timeline in the multiverse where Anderson comes back. He looked and sounded pretty content to be headed into retirement.

TehDoak

Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
The guy literally had a retirement party right there on the ice.

I don't think there's any timeline in the multiverse where Anderson comes back. He looked and sounded pretty content to be headed into retirement.

Look man, I don’t know how it happened. I’m just reporting what I saw. Also adams gets plugs. Bad ones

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
In the early stages of the NHL playoffs, which consist of a dozen teams I am actively cheering against, I thought it might be fun to kick off some offseason predictions just for fun. I'm open to suggestions for questions to add, as well. These are just top of the head things.

Leafs vs. Knights. Bleh. Vegas wins.

Pittsburgh moves up 10 to pick 4th and the Wings move up 9 to pick first, just to kick Buffalo in the junk a bit more.

Yes at 14, then they take Stenberg. Buffalo corners the market on smallish C/W hybrid Swedes. Adams also will be opening an Ikea in LECOM Ctr.

4) Do the Sabres make any non-draft pick only trades at the draft, i.e., bringing in or shuttling out an actual player - includes AHL and prospects?

Yes, the trade Vic to Chicago for a 4th in 2024.

All three return. Doak and Ace go on suicide watch.

Yes, they bring back Aaron Dell.

None. We ain't got to show you no stinkin' defense. :laugh: Seriously though, three (both 2nds and then a later pick.)

8) Do the Sabres make any NHL roster additions via trade between the Draft and the start of Training Camp [not prospect camp]?

They PTO a center from somewhere who inherits the Mark Jankowski/Riley Sheahan Memorial Thruway EZPass.

Okposo.

10) Who is the starting goalie for the first regular season game of the 23-24 season?

Devon Levi.

The 50th fan into the rink at the Dev Camp 3-on-3 tournament.

Last edited:

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Leafs vs. Knights. Bleh. Vegas wins. (NONONONONONONONONO)
Your list physically hurts me to read. I'm countering this for the good of my spirit.

1) Cup Finals - who is in it, and who wins? Oilers beat the mighty Bruins. Bergeron and Krecji retire.

2) Who wins the Draft lotto? Blackhawks

3) Do the Sabres make a selection with their first round pick? If so, who? Pellikka

4) Do the Sabres make any non-draft pick only trades at the draft, i.e., bringing in or shuttling out an actual player - includes AHL and prospects? Yes. They trade for Tanev. They also trade away Olofsson.

5) Who, if any, is brought back amongst Jost, Girgensons, and Okposo? Girgensons and Okposo are back. Jost is not.

6) Do the Sabres acquire a goaltender this offseason (not via draft)? Yes. They successfully grab Semyon Varlamov.

7) How many defensemen do the Sabres select at the Draft? 5. and 2 goalies.

8) Do the Sabres make any NHL roster additions via trade between the Draft and the start of Training Camp [not prospect camp]? Yes. Tanev trade. Varlamov signing. They also sign 1 more D, and 1 forward no one expects.

9) Who is Captain of the 23-24 Sabres? Okposo

10) Who is the starting goalie for the first regular season game of the 23-24 season? Levi

11) Who is Owen Power's defensive partner in game 1? Tanev

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
1) Cup Finals - who is in it, and who wins? Rangers beat the Avalanche

2) Who wins the Draft lotto? Sharks

3) Do the Sabres make a selection with their first round pick? If so, who? Yes, I have no clue about this year's draft prospects though

4) Do the Sabres make any non-draft pick only trades at the draft, i.e., bringing in or shuttling out an actual player - includes AHL and prospects? Yes, I think JJ gets traded alongside a future first as the main pieces to bring a defenseman in

5) Who, if any, is brought back amongst Jost, Girgensons, and Okposo? All of them

6) Do the Sabres acquire a goaltender this offseason (not via draft)? Yes, sign Varlamov to a 2-year deal in free agency

7) How many defensemen do the Sabres select at the Draft? 2

8) Do the Sabres make any NHL roster additions via trade between the Draft and the start of Training Camp [not prospect camp]? Yes, they will make the aforementioned Peterka+1st trade for a defenseman and also move Jokiharju in a change of scenery trade (potentially alongside Olofsson)

9) Who is Captain of the 23-24 Sabres? Kyle Okposo

10) Who is the starting goalie for the first regular season game of the 23-24 season? Devon Levi

11) Who is Owen Power's defensive partner in game 1? Brett Pesce

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Owen Power scores a lot of goals. My nhl 23 has it happening, so it must be true. He scores more than Tarasenko, who is now on the team.

Oh, and captain Tage leads the league in points. Some might claim that you can manually choose the captain. To which I say- ok, yes, but can I manually choose to feed Tage so that he scores the most points? Also yes. I rest my case.

• Haha

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
Gonna answer my own questions:

Dallas over Carolina in a **** These Guys final

San Jose

Nope, traded

Yes, 1st rounder + Olofsson for ???

Jost and KO for a combined 2.25m salary

No

Yes

Okposo for one last year

Levi

Joker, much to my displeasure

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
Your list physically hurts me to read. I'm countering this for the good of my spirit.

1) Cup Finals - who is in it, and who wins? Oilers beat the mighty Bruins. Bergeron and Krecji retire.

2) Who wins the Draft lotto? Blackhawks

3) Do the Sabres make a selection with their first round pick? If so, who? Pellikka

4) Do the Sabres make any non-draft pick only trades at the draft, i.e., bringing in or shuttling out an actual player - includes AHL and prospects? Yes. They trade for Tanev. They also trade away Olofsson.

5) Who, if any, is brought back amongst Jost, Girgensons, and Okposo? Girgensons and Okposo are back. Jost is not.

6) Do the Sabres acquire a goaltender this offseason (not via draft)? Yes. They successfully grab Semyon Varlamov.

7) How many defensemen do the Sabres select at the Draft? 5. and 2 goalies.

8) Do the Sabres make any NHL roster additions via trade between the Draft and the start of Training Camp [not prospect camp]? Yes. Tanev trade. Varlamov signing. They also sign 1 more D, and 1 forward no one expects.

9) Who is Captain of the 23-24 Sabres? Okposo

10) Who is the starting goalie for the first regular season game of the 23-24 season? Levi

11) Who is Owen Power's defensive partner in game 1? Tanev
I agree with a lot of this.

Okposo decides to retire and gets introduced to the broadcasting team in 24. Girgs and Jost return. It's Girgs farewell tour.

Tuch is the new captain

2 defensemen drafted in the later rounds.

Sabres use their first and a player to move up and take Leonard.

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012

CBJ
yes; Leonard
is the draft before FA? I forgot; if its after no otherwise yes
the only doubtful one is Jost
no
yes
KO
Levi
honestly I hope someone with top4 pot other than Dahlin or Samu.
thats the only thing that would disapoint me if they roll the same top4 again

Last edited:

My Cozen Dylan

Feb 21, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
1) Cup Finals - who is in it, and who wins? Edmonton over Boston
2) Who wins the Draft lotto? Chicago
3) Do the Sabres make a selection with their first round pick? If so, who? Yes, Nate Danielson
4) Do the Sabres make any non-draft pick only trades at the draft, i.e., bringing in or shuttling out an actual player - includes AHL and prospects? Yes
5) Who, if any, is brought back amongst Jost, Girgensons, and Okposo? Only Girgensons
6) Do the Sabres acquire a goaltender this offseason (not via draft)? Yes
7) How many defensemen do the Sabres select at the Draft? 3
8) Do the Sabres make any NHL roster additions via trade between the Draft and the start of Training Camp [not prospect camp]? No
9) Who is Captain of the 23-24 Sabres? Rasmus Dahlin
10) Who is the starting goalie for the first regular season game of the 23-24 season? Devon Levi
11) Who is Owen Power's defensive partner in game 1? Connor Clifton

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
1) Cup Finals - who is in it, and who wins? Boston vs. Colorado -- Boston wins

2) Who wins the Draft lotto? C-Bus picks 1, Anaheim picks 2

3) Do the Sabres make a selection with their first round pick? If so, who? Yes. We take Samuel Honzek

4) Do the Sabres make any non-draft pick only trades at the draft, i.e., bringing in or shuttling out an actual player - includes AHL and prospects? No.

5) Who, if any, is brought back amongst Jost, Girgensons, and Okposo? All 3. Though if one leaves, it's Girgensons.

6) Do the Sabres acquire a goaltender this offseason (not via draft)? Nope.

7) How many defensemen do the Sabres select at the Draft? Two.

8) Do the Sabres make any NHL roster additions via trade between the Draft and the start of Training Camp [not prospect camp]? Yes.

9) Who is Captain of the 23-24 Sabres? Kyle Okposo -- if he retires, Rasmus Dahlin.

10) Who is the starting goalie for the first regular season game of the 23-24 season? Devon Levi.

11) Who is Owen Power's defensive partner in game 1? Henri Jokiharju

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
1) Cup Finals - who is in it, and who wins? Boston vs. Edmonton -- Boston wins

2) Who wins the Draft lotto? Chicago picks 1, Anaheim picks 2

3) Do the Sabres make a selection with their first round pick? If so, who? Yes. We take ASP

5) Who, if any, is brought back amongst Jost, Girgensons, and Okposo? All 3 are back.

7) How many defensemen do the Sabres select at the Draft? Three.

8) Do the Sabres make any NHL roster additions via trade between the Draft and the start of Training Camp [not prospect camp]? No.

10) Who is the starting goalie for the first regular season game of the 23-24 season? Devon Levi.

TehDoak

Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
1) Cup Finals - who is in it, and who wins? Boston vs. Edmonton -- Boston wins

2) Who wins the Draft lotto? Chicago picks 1, Anaheim picks 2

3) Do the Sabres make a selection with their first round pick? If so, who? Yes. We take ASP

5) Who, if any, is brought back amongst Jost, Girgensons, and Okposo? All 3 are back.

7) How many defensemen do the Sabres select at the Draft? Three.

8) Do the Sabres make any NHL roster additions via trade between the Draft and the start of Training Camp [not prospect camp]? No.

I hate how likely accurate all this is.

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022

Feel like I could just roll a Dice for the west but I will go VGK V. Carolina. Carolina wins

Washington

The best D available

No

2/3 Jost + Okposo

Yes

Yes

I am not a fan of this but Okposo has one more year with the Sabres and retains C

Levi

Not currently on team gonna go crazy and say Rasmus Andersson

Diaspora

Jul 13, 2020
Bruins/Avs. Avs win.

Not us.

Trade back to a playoff team for a second pair D. May need to add. Looking at Canes, Rangers, Jets, VGK or Squids. Draft in the mid-20s.

4) Do the Sabres make any non-draft pick only trades at the draft, i.e., bringing in or shuttling out an actual player - includes AHL and prospects? Yes.

5) Who, if any, is brought back amongst Jost, Girgensons, and Okposo? Ok retires. Girgs departs. Jost stays.

No.

Two.

Yes.

King Ras

Beast Boy

See question 3, above.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
My prediction is Sabres are $10 to $12 M below the cap. Yet again. Still missing key pieces and 50/50 to make playoffs. Pags ain't spending. Small market team again.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
My prediction is Sabres are $10 to $12 M below the cap. Yet again. Still missing key pieces and 50/50 to make playoffs. Pags ain't spending. Small market team again.
I would be impressed if they got near 10 million below the cap. Thrilled even. If they move on from Olofsson it would mean they spent a ton of money somewhere. It would mean they had to have massively upgraded both goalie and #4 D. Even if Olofsson is somehow still here…they had to have upgraded both big time.

KrakenSabresMike

Oct 7, 2020
Despite low cap the last years I just don’t get this narrative - the reason for the low salary cap is clear logistically for the last two years, which is lots of ELC players. Yes they don’t wanna give away money for third or fourth draft picks for cap dumps but those are not crucial resources anyways. They’ve always spent on the team when they needed to and they showed that money to Taylor Hall, as well as spend a lot of money on the bills - spending close to cap When it is the time to do so it’s small pittance for a billionaire and an NFL owner to boot.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Despite low cap the last years I just don’t get this narrative - the reason for the low salary cap is clear logistically for the last two years, which is lots of ELC players. Yes they don’t wanna give away money for third or fourth draft picks for cap dumps but those are not crucial resources anyways. They’ve always spent on the team when they needed to and they showed that money to Taylor Hall, as well as spend a lot of money on the bills - spending close to cap When it is the time to do so it’s small pittance for a billionaire and an NFL owner to boot.

You should know by now that logic has no place on this board right now............ ;)

Reactions: dickiedunnwrotethis

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad