Way too early 2023 redraft (picks 4-13)

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
Perreault is still small and slow with no intangibles at a low-value position. He'd move up slightly but nowhere near the top 10.

This is just not correct.

He’s the most cerebral player from his draft not currently in the NHL, and maybe the best passer out of the whole class. He is a smidge small, he’s not slow, and he is the play driver on his line.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
He's the prototype of the sort of player that fans on message boards rate exponentially higher than NHL GMs.

Every credible writer in hockey who has put out a list in 2024 disagrees with your skills assessment. All rank him as a top 15 prospect. Almost all have him in the top 10.

I challenge you to find one scout or writer who agrees with you.

This thread is evidence that people in the hockey community actually rank him higher than people on message boards.

Reactions: Kaners PPGs

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Every credible writer in hockey who has put out a list in 2024 disagrees with your skills assessment. All rank him as a top 15 prospect. Almost all have him in the top 10.

This thread is evidence that people in the hockey community actually rank him higher than people on message boards.

Out of curiosity, who are we going with?

I know he's been high on Button and Wheeler's lists, so you're not lying... But I'm more curious who else rates him highly, because Button and Wheeler are notorious for only taking stats into consideration.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Most of the 'credible writers' are just message board fans. Wheeler in particular.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Most of the 'credible writers' are just message board fans. Wheeler in particular.
Lol the only difference between most writers and message board scouts like us is they watch/write about these guys as a full time job...where as we have jobs AND do it lol

Unless you work for an NHL team or talk to people that do (Mckenzie), your opinion is just as good as anyones here.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
chuckling at Dvorsky having a great D+1 year and dropping on everyone's list, even falling off a few. this isn't really a useful exercise

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Curious everyone is putting Dvorsky lower considering he's one of the youngest player from the draft, dominating OHL and did good for 2 x WJC20.
chuckling at Dvorsky having a great D+1 year and dropping on everyone's list, even falling off a few. this isn't really a useful exercise
Well when every fan comes in and is praising how their teams prospect rose...someone's gotta fall lol.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Well, he tried his luck at swedish pro hockey and did not thrive, and then joined a junior team where he's the third leading scorer (2nd by ppg). It doesn't give people the warm fuzzies. He does have his young age going for him, agree.

Reactions: Our Lady Peace

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
Dvorsky went 10 SHL games without a single point. Then comes to an OHL team with more than plenty of firepower. It contrasts the strength of the leagues and his ability to adapt to each of them.

For reference, if we're stat watching, Sudbury forward Musty's PPG average is notably higher than Dvorsky's with 10 more points in 1 more game played, and he was drafted 16 spots lower.

Axel Sandin-Pellikka, as a d-man for example, had 0.46 PPG in the SHL (18 pts in 39 games) and was on the verge of breaking a U-20 SHL d-man goal scoring record before the WJC + injury he sustained in it. He was drafted 7 spots behind Dvorsky. Mind you, he played last season in the league, but my point stands.

Not bashing Dvorsky, I just feel he will need more time than others to fulfill a bit longer of a development curve that he has. The patience with that will get the Blues a nice 2C IMO.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
Well, he tried his luck at swedish pro hockey and did not thrive, and then joined a junior team where he's the third leading scorer (2nd by ppg). It doesn't give people the warm fuzzies. He does have his young age going for him, agree.
just outright laughter at the framing of Dvorsky as not even the best player on his team in a situation where he had a good WJC and then is dominating the OHL

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
just outright laughter at the framing of Dvorsky as not even the best player on his team in a situation where he had a good WJC and then is dominating the OHL
Important nuance is that you're omitting his performance in the SHL this season. Oskarshamn is not a good program mind you. There are players drafted after him playing in pro leagues (But, Benson, Sandin-Pellikka, even Edstrom and Gulyayev) who all have legitimate cases to have surpassed expectation relative to draft position.

Reactions: Frobbo

Ford Prefect

Mar 2, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
I see why Reinbacher has dropped in everyone's eyes; he played on an absolutely putrid Kloten team and missed 17 games this season. However, he's reported to Laval and may begin playing this Friday. We'll see if he can redeem some of his season

Reactions: Devonator

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
Important nuance is that you're omitting his performance in the SHL this season. Oskarshamn is not a good program mind you. There are players drafted after him playing in pro leagues (But, Benson, Sandin-Pellikka, even Edstrom and Gulyayev) who all have legitimate cases to have surpassed expectation relative to draft position.
So that's weird I suppose. On the one hand in one league he was in an awkward team situation where he tied the worst players in production and appeared to be a full out total bust. No points! Could that be right? Hard to say, but it's important.

What does the subsequent data say? It says he went to the WJC where he did great and is also putting up 1.88 ppg at 18 in the OHL.

These two things are wildly incompatible, one isn't a modifying amount of data on the other. One is just a junk set.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
4. Michkov
5. Simashev
6. Benson
7. Smith
8. Willander
9. Reinbacher
10. Leonard
11. Honzek
12. Dvorsky
13. Barlow

This is what I had as my final, honestly not sure how much I would change. Maybe swap some guys around within the group but at this point I think its still down to preference for the most part.

Biggest thing is I might put ASP in somewhere between 11-13 & bump Barlow out.
Honzek still on your list?

Brent Burns Beard