Watching the Simpsons for the first time

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
Well, I must be the only person born in the early 80's who has not watched the Simpsons. I confess I have NEVER watched a full episode of the Simpsons. My limited experience in the Simpsons world has been to play the video game for Nintendo and to watch half of a treehouse of horror in the mid 90's.

That being said, I decided to give the Simpsons a go. I bought Disney plus and have decided to start at the beginning and see what all of the hype was about.

I have recently finished Season 1 of the show. I liked it, was entertained by it, and enjoyed it. However, there wasn't as many laugh out loud moments as I would have expected. There were some witty one-liners that made smile, almost in every episode but I was surprised with how, well, rather unzany the first season is.

My favorite episodes are The Crepes of Wraith, Krusty gets busted, and the season finale.

My least favorite were The call of the Simpsons (probably the worst of the season) and Life on the Fast lane.

Good things are that the family dynamic is cool and believable, Homer calling Bart the boy, the play on family dramas, and the incredible cast of secondary characters.

Bad things are the lack of laugh of loud moments, the predictability of the endings, the lack of pace, and some complete dud moments.

Overall the season gets a 6.5 out of 10 for me and I definitely will move on to Season 2.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Yeah season 1 is kind of dead. Season 2 has a couple of gems, but season 3 onwards has great one. Season 3 alone has like 3 of my favorite episodes ever.

Reactions: Richard

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Seasons 3-10 are all you need to watch. Well, maybe 2 as well, but 3-10 are great

You can find some good episodes also in later seasons. But yeah, with the season numbers increasing, the amusing level is decreasing. Recently saw this from season 12 it it is a fun to watch.

Btw. advice for first-runners: When you watch the early episodes , focus to every detail. Everything they say, everything you see. There are tons of cultural references there.

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
I appreciate the advice. Friends who have watched the Simpsons tell me that seasons 4-9 are the best but I will be watching all of them.

The most striking thing for me is seeing how society has changed, specifically regarding the family dynamic. The first season's family has more in common with the 1950's than with say, Modern Family.

Honestly, perhaps it is the geezer in me, but it is very nostalgic. I was babysat by stay at home mothers who watched guiding light and smoked cigarettes. That time feels like 1000 years ago.

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
I appreciate the advice. Friends who have watched the Simpsons tell me that seasons 4-9 are the best but I will be watching all of them.

The most striking thing for me is seeing how society has changed, specifically regarding the family dynamic. The first season's family has more in common with the 1950's than with say, Modern Family.

Honestly, perhaps it is the geezer in me, but it is very nostalgic. I was babysat by stay at home mothers who watched guiding light and smoked cigarettes. That time feels like 1000 years ago.
I love season 3. It has so many classic episodes: Michael Jackson (which I think isn't on D+), Flanders going broke, Bart joining the mob, Homer saving the nuclear plant, the Soapbox Derby, Flaming Moe's, Lisa helping Homer bet on football, Bart writing Ms. Krabappel a fake love letter, Nuclear Softball team, Homer becoming a country music manager...

Just so many classics in season 3

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005

By any chance, were they twins?

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
I love season 3. It has so many classic episodes: Michael Jackson (which I think isn't on D+), Flanders going broke, Bart joining the mob, Homer saving the nuclear plant, the Soapbox Derby, Flaming Moe's, Lisa helping Homer bet on football, Bart writing Ms. Krabappel a fake love letter, Nuclear Softball team, Homer becoming a country music manager...

Just so many classics in season 3

I'd argue that you didnt even list the best episode of season 3, though Stark Raving Dad, Homer at Bat and Lisa the Greek could easily all be the best

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
There are already several bad episodes in S9. Every S10-onwards episode is still worse than everything that came before them.

Well, that’s just like your opinion man. I still enjoyed episodes from season 10-12. It’s not the glory years. Seasons 4-7 are the best in my opinion, but lots of great episodes outside those seasons. Once it gets into season 13, I think it goes way downhill.

just my two cents.

Reactions: tr83 and Richard

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
Well, that’s just like your opinion man. I still enjoyed episodes from season 10-12. It’s not the glory years. Seasons 4-7 are the best in my opinion, but lots of great episodes outside those seasons. Once it gets into season 13, I think it goes way downhill.

just my two cents.

Season 9 has like 4 great episodes then its a mix of ok-bad, 10 has like 4 good, no great, and the rest are awful and 11-12 has 1-2 good and the rest are awful

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Season 9 has like 4 great episodes then its a mix of ok-bad, 10 has like 4 good, no great, and the rest are awful and 11-12 has 1-2 good and the rest are awful

opinion, not fact. Some people enjoyed those seasons. If you didn’t, that’s fine.

I’m also not going to take a Futurama fans opinion too seriously.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
I was against the guy taking such a hardline stance about what seasons were worth watching... it's all opinion, there is no right or wrong.

But turns out an opinion can be flat out wrong. You're wrong.

an opinion can’t be wrong. If I think something is bad how is that wrong? It’s my opinion. I know people that think Seinfeld sucks. I don’t agree with them, but they are entitled to their opinion.

Let’s move on and not derail the Simpsons thread with this off topic discussion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad