Watching the Simpsons for the first time

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Hmmm. I guess people have already forgotten King of the Hill? This was the one animated cartoon that could be mentioned in the same breathe as The Simpsons...probably not quite peak Simpsons from Season 2 - 5 but I think the quality of the show (at least it's early seasons) compares favorably to late prime Simpsons (Seasons 7 - 8 and maybe 9).

This brings back some pleasant memories of Sunday nights in the late 90s, albeit only lasting for a brief 2-year period, on Fox

7 pm - Simpsons
7:30 - King of the Hill
8:00 - X-Files

Habsfunk

Jan 11, 2003
BC
Visit site
I don't know anything about the writer's history with the show. I'm not suggesting that Conan lacked what made the show good and was pure zany energy that went against everything the show stood for and dictated the direction of the show-- I'm just guessing that he probably stumbled onto something that became a hugely successful crowd-pleaser with Marge vs. the Monorail, which deviated from what the show was before that point, and everyone involved with the show (including Conan) pursued that creative spark more and more (because a lot of people obviously prefer it, and there is admittedly something infectious about it).

I actually think Conan's more negative contribution to the show is Homer Goes to College. It's one of the first examples of what fans later called "Jerk-face Homer." He had Homer acting like a loud, obnoxious oaf, and this definitely became more of a thing later on. Homer Goes to College has enough good moments to overcome this, but it was also a sign of things to come. While Marge vs the Monorail definitely brought a more fantastical element to the show, I don't mind that as much as I mind changing the character's personalities.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I actually think Conan's more negative contribution to the show is Homer Goes to College. It's one of the first examples of what fans later called "Jerk-face Homer." He had Homer acting like a loud, obnoxious oaf, and this definitely became more of a thing later on. Homer Goes to College has enough good moments to overcome this, but it was also a sign of things to come. While Marge vs the Monorail definitely brought a more fantastical element to the show, I don't mind that as much as I mind changing the character's personalities.
Agreed, that's the bigger offender (that everyone points towards as being the source of the problem) but that comes later. I'm saying that I think the seeds begin earlier, with this really beloved episode that seemed to open the flood-gates in terms of the show focusing on non-character-driven zany spectacle. That turned into Deep Space Homer, which turned into the gimmick of the week thing that the series devolved into.

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009

Ive always hated Homers Enemy, despite some good lines, because of how randomly obnoxious Homer is just for that episode

Reactions: Soggy Biscuit

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
The 2nd season is still my favorite (I am onto the 4th season).

Every episode is so good.

I'm jealous that you get to watch these episodes for the first time.

Seasons 3-5 are the absolute peak of the show. TV never got better.

Personally, I don't think any of the animated comedies that it spawned have come remotely close to hitting the type of high notes that The Simpsons did (or even resembling it in any way). It's far closer in content, delivery, tone, and quality to shows like Arrested Development, Community, Freak and Geeks, or Monty Python than it is to Family Guy or South Park (which are very childish and lame in comparison), in my opinion. Those shows are closer to being off-shoots to the bad version of The Simpsons that jumped the shark after season 10.

These two don't belong in the same boat at all.

Trey Parker is an incredibly gifted comic mind, whether the medium is TV, movies, musicals, or music.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I'm jealous that you get to watch these episodes for the first time.

Seasons 3-5 are the absolute peak of the show. TV never got better.

These two don't belong in the same boat at all.

Trey Parker is an incredibly gifted comic mind, whether the medium is TV, movies, musicals, or music.
Agreed, but the Simpsons don't really belong in either of their boats, was my point.

Second point..... eehhh... alot of people feel that way certainly, but I've never been a fan, personally.

Reactions: Richard

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Agreed, but the Simpsons don't really belong in either of their boats, was my point.

Second point..... eehhh... alot of people feel that way certainly, but I've never been a fan, personally.

Different strokes, for sure. Then again, I think there's a case for Team America being the best comedy and the best action movie of the '00s.

I'd say South Park is as brilliant in its way as the Simpsons are in theirs, and they've maintained a high standard for a lot longer.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Yeah, while I don't know if I'd declare Trey Parker as brilliant - at least not in any sort of consistent way - the gulf between him and Seth Macfarlane is tremendous. While The Simpsons has always been more of a committee, South Park has showed a remarkable consistency in delivering solid laughs. A few episodes are as funny as anything else I've ever seen on television. But I think there are writers of prose and stand-up comics who leave Parker in the dust. An episode like Casa Bonita is up there with the best episodes other great comic shows have put out.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Yeah, while I don't know if I'd declare Trey Parker as brilliant - at least not in any sort of consistent way - the gulf between him and Seth Macfarlane is tremendous. While The Simpsons has always been more of a committee, South Park has showed a remarkable consistency in delivering solid laughs. A few episodes are as funny as anything else I've ever seen on television. But I think there are writers of prose and stand-up comics who leave Parker in the dust. An episode like Casa Bonita is up there with the best episodes other great comic shows have put out.

I think Parker's perpetually underrated. Have you watched the Book of Mormon? The guy writes such sharp and absurd social and political satire, and has such a knack for memorable music and lyrics, that he can change mediums and hit a walkoff home run on Broadway on his first (real) try without compromising anything. He ought to win a Mark Twain prize at some point.

South Park's recent seasons have been as good as ever too, IMO. The PC Babies are a riot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->