Watching the Lightning (Bally, Streaming, TV, etc.)

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004

Disney/ESPN recently announced a partnership with Fox and Warner Bros. Discovery for a “skinny bundle” of direct-to-consumer sports programming in the fall that is expected to be priced at $40-$50 per month, according to network executives briefed on the plans.

Meanwhile, ESPN will take its standalone direct-to-consumer product to the market in 2025 at $25-30 per month, according to executives briefed on the discussions.
If ESPN fails to partner with the NFL and/or NBA, then MLB and the NHL are viewed as next in line as equity partners. Iger has also said that ESPN could go to market with no partners.

Meanwhile, ESPN wants to be the solution for MLB, NBA and NHL in regional sports, hoping to offer them as part of its direct-to-consumer strategy, as add-on channels for an extra fee, so fans can watch their favorite teams. Many regional sports networks are struggling due to the dwindling of the cable bundle.

The current model guarantees franchises a multi-million-dollar upfront fee. ESPN has been more inclined to share the rewards and risks on regional sports, according to officials briefed on the discussions, and isn’t looking to write big checks on speculation.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004

Starting this week, subscribers to NESN, which carries Boston sports teams including the Red Sox and Bruins, will be able to tune into games by tapping a dedicated link on ESPN’s app or on ESPN.com. In May, timed to the start of the WNBA season, a route to Washington, D.C.’s Monumental Sports Network will also be established on ESPN’s platforms. SportsNet Pittsburgh, which is operated by NESN, is also part of the agreement, though its telecasts will be added down the line.
The offering will be geotargeted so that only those located in specific areas of the U.S. will see the option to watch their local games. The streams will not be housed within the ESPN app, which is merely serving as a portal to the RSN telecast, and viewers also will still need to pay for access to the RSNs.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004

I haven't watched an ESPN studio show in years, but everything I see on Twitter is that ESPN is "woke". Whatever that actually means, there's a perception that the studio shows are political.

Last edited:

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL

I haven't watched an ESPN studio show in years, but everything I see on Twitter is that ESPN is "woke". Whatever that actually means, there's a perception that the studio shows are political.

They do push social and political talking points. Less sports more social Commentary.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004

per the article, WBD are currently paying an average of $1.2b a year. ESPN renewed for $2.6b/year.

If the NBA goes to NBC/ABC/ESPN, and TNT are on the outside, then the NHL would probably get more games.

Who would get custody of Shaq and Barkley?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad