Watching the Lightning (Bally, Streaming, TV, etc.)

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Writing a 'guide' to watching the Lightning is pretty complex right now, with so many specific use cases (and the resulting massive wall of text). I felt that a case study approach, of our own cases, would make more sense. How are we planning on watching the Lightning this season?

The best set up for me right now would be ESPN+ and a streaming VPN (Surfshark), for about $12.30/month. Then picking up HBO Max as needed for the TNT games/playoffs. I don't mind dropping services. Even if a streaming VPN doesn't work out, Bally+ at an additional $20/month would still be far less than any cable TV bill. A streaming VPN would also still unblock the international catalogs of streamers like Netflix.

Technically, I'd only need a dedicated US IP address to get around ESPN+ blackouts, and could set one up for about $10/year, but that'd be my one IP. I could also try to buy NHL.TV or ESPN Play from another country, but that's getting a bit too gray market for my tastes (and likely easy to disrupt).

Resources I've used:
VPN Tier List
The Streamable
suppose.tv
Cord Cutting 2023: The Definitive Guide with Everything You Need to Know - one of the most based things I've ever read

FCC websites
Antenna map - useful to get NFL/major networks free OTA & Antenna Man YouTube channel for antenna reviews.
Broadband map - reasonably accurate broadband options at your address

Last edited:

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
I'm Canadian so I'm using Sportsnet Now. I do not recommend it, it's a terrible app. Can't choose which team's broadcast you watch, doesn't work well with Chromecast, constant buffering.

Reactions: DistantThunderRep

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
The company providing NHL coverage in Finland has been steadily increasing their prices over the years to the point where it's now at 45€ a month. I don't mind it as I watch a lot of their other products besides the NHL, but a big part of their customers will only be interested in one particular sport, whether it's the NHL, Premier League or motorsports. At which point it's obviously a ridiculous price. You could also previously watch the same live feed at two devices, but that's prohibited now as well, which has essentially doubled the price for many people.

Unsurprisingly a shit ton of people have unsubscribed and their stock has crashed tremendously (about 70% since the start of 2023), which has all been very amusing to me.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Spectrum seems like Bally right now.

At the core of this fight seems to be Disney’s plans to launch a direct-to-consumer streaming service for ESPN and the Disney+ service. Now Spectrum is asking Disney to agree to let Spectrum sell bundles of its streaming services at discounted prices. According to Spectrum, this new model “creates the pathway for Disney to stabilize its linear losses and grow its DTC business, ultimately preserving cash flows.”

Spectrum says they want Disney to make Disney+ & its new ESPN streaming service for free to its customers. This comes as the Disney Channel viewership has dropped since Disney launched Disney+. Spectrum argues it is helping fund Disney+ as Disney+ and soon ESPN’s new streaming service is helping to kill cable TV. So Spectrum wants these streaming services to be included for free to Spectrum customers.
lol. Good luck with that.

Nickelodeon is a comparable to Disney, and the Teen Nick channel has aired nothing but Henry Danger for over a year. These B-tier, C-tier linear channels are done. Viacom/CBS aren't even reformatting or selling the channel. Just airing Henry Danger. The horses are out of the barn.
reddit thread from a year ago: www.reddit.com/r/nickelodeon/comments/x4hbtp/teennick_is_airing_nothing_but_henry_danger_next/

Last edited:

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Charter's investor relations website.

The relevant stuff is their Sept 1 webcast. "The Future of Multichannel Video: Moving Forward, Or Moving On"

slides: https://ir.charter.com/static-files/05f899dd-7ef3-40d8-84c1-f16a7acfe318
Charter Spectrum acknowledges how screwed they are. I wouldn't expect that Spectrum sports package to be announced anytime soon. It can't happen without ESPN.

Long, long term I could see Charter selling itself off/merging with the electric or telco companies.

Last edited:

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
I assume the internet portion is still profitable? Not sure dropping the TV because it's becoming unprofitable means they're in trouble overall. Shareholders might be stupid and panic over lost revenue, but it's the earnings that should count. Spectrum makes most of that off their broadband. Disney are the ones that should be more desperate, they're losing money and laying off people.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I assume the internet portion is still profitable? Not sure dropping the TV because it's becoming unprofitable means they're in trouble overall. Shareholders might be stupid and panic over lost revenue, but it's the earnings that should count. Spectrum makes most of that off their broadband.
Spectrum has to compete now against fixed wireless, which, if bundled with the right phone plan, can be cheaper than anything Spectrum could hope to offer. Their broadband makes money because they often have a monopoly.

Light users could even get away with only using their cellphone's hotspot data.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Is anyone actually flocking to fixed wireless? All I hear are complaints.
Cable gained only 10K subs while fixed wireless providers added 890K subs according to LRG [Q2 2023]

“Fixed wireless services have acquired over 800,000 net adds in each of the past five quarters, accounting for about 4.45 million net adds in that period.”

edit: something I've underrated is how damaging the missing ABC stations are on a national perception scale.
ABC On Demand programming and the following local ABC stations: ABC7 Chicago, ABC7 Los Angeles, ABC7 New York, ABC7 San Francisco, ABC11 Raleigh-Durham, ABC13 Houston, ABC30 Fresno.
We talk about ESPN, but these markets don't even have ABC.

Last edited:
Reactions: Renopucker

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
How much of that is in rural areas that have been dying for any kind of broadband though
FWA isn't too effective in rural areas. The range of mid/high band 5G is terrible, and it wouldn't make sense to build all the towers. Rural/RV types are still using satellite.

T-Mobile & Verizon aren't marketing FWA towards rural areas, either. They seem to be targeting the suburbs.

T-Mobile ad
Verizon ad

I will say that the cable/fiber losses and FWA adds don't perfectly align. There's more adds than total losses. I'd guess apartment dwellers, keeping in mind the high speed 5G is mostly in downtowns right now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Renopucker

BoltSTH

Sep 4, 2008
Tampa
I am on Verizon 5G home internet, and getting 220 Mbps or more even though the minimum promised is 85 Mbps, with Voiply as my home phone, No issues even during the recent high winds and torrential rain form Idalia. But I live 20 miles from Tampa, on the crest of a hill, so probably an almost ideal case.

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland
The company providing NHL coverage in Finland has been steadily increasing their prices over the years to the point where it's now at 45€ a month. I don't mind it as I watch a lot of their other products besides the NHL, but a big part of their customers will only be interested in one particular sport, whether it's the NHL, Premier League or motorsports. At which point it's obviously a ridiculous price. You could also previously watch the same live feed at two devices, but that's prohibited now as well, which has essentially doubled the price for many people.

Unsurprisingly a shit ton of people have unsubscribed and their stock has crashed tremendously (about 70% since the start of 2023), which has all been very amusing to me.
I'll have to figure out another way to watch games with an on demand feature so I can watch them the next day. So basically through an unofficial service. Ain't no way in hell I'm paying that much for an average at best service. I hope they go bankrupt.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Cordcutting idea (TB broadcast region)

$20 Bally+ (could become $15 again mid-season, so that may save ~$20 over the course of the year)
$40 Sling Orange

You'd get Bally Sun, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN3, TNT, TBS, and other entertainment channels. Figuring you cancel everything in the off-season, you'd be saving there.

You would not get ABC (which you can remedy with an antenna that Sling can provide you), or the ESPN+ games. NHLN is, however, available as an add-on to Sling for $15.

Outside the TB broadcast region (US only), it'd be pretty similar
$40 Sling Orange
$10 ESPN+

You'd also get the ESPN+ games.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hoek

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004

But the main point that should send shivers throughout the sports business is that Charter plans to exit the video business at some point over the next few years. For most of my cable industry sources, that point appears obvious.

MoffettNathanson reported last week that Charter is "preparing a one-touch QR code that would not only create a new YouTube TV or Fubo subscription but would also downgrade from a Spectrum video bundle with a single click. To minimize any impact on broadband subscribership, they’ll lean more heavily than ever into their Spectrum One wireless/broadband bundle. Video is already being de-emphasized.”
This would make sense, given that Charter doesn't seem to have a vision for video other than 'help Disney leg out'.

The Sling/Bally+/ESPN+ route would be cheaper than either YouTube TV or Fubo, but Fubo gets Bally Sun (if you had to choose).

Last edited:

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
TB's first regular season game is on ESPN. Most local fans have Spectrum for cable. Nashville looks like a Comcast area.

Linear ESPN is not currently on ESPN+ (which is why Sling comes into the equation), and having this game on both would set a precedent Disney might not be ready for. It'll be interesting to see how TB fans are accommodated.

Options I see:
a. Move the game to ESPN+
b. Keep the game on ESPN, but also have Bally Sun also do a broadcast
c. ESPN drops TB/NSH, and the games go back to the RSNs.

Option A is probably what ESPN would prefer. Option B is probably what fans would prefer. Option C is probably what Spectrum would prefer. Keep in mind that Spectrum is a long-time sponsor of the Lightning.

I'd go with B. I don't think that Disney will be too heartbroken about Bally carrying one game (Spectrum & app exclusive?)

Under most circumstances, they'd just move it to ESPN+, but as the first game of the season, there's elevated importance.

Last edited:

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Wonder if they could do something like have it on ESPN+ only in TB market, or is that what you mean by moving it
I don't think they could have the game on ESPN+ only in the TB market. Around TB/Orlando, it's largely Spectrum, but if you go out to Leesburg, Jacksonville, etc., they've got Comcast.

The report is that ESPN wants to offer full-time DTC in the summer of 2024. Doing it, even in a temporary, ad-hoc way, would cause issues with other cable companies.

They also couldn't have Dave and Brian simulcast (Bally and ESPN sharing a single broadcast). Both ESPN and Bally would want control, and NHL arenas normally facilitate multiple broadcasters.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
NHL.com lists the TBL/Nashville home opener, as well as all opening night games, as being on both ESPN and ESPN+.

They'll start to charge 'next year', so we might be getting free TNT games for the first few months of the season, although TB doesn't seem to be on the schedule until 2024. TNT may decide to be more aggressive in trying to bring Spectrum markets into the Max ecosystem early and often. We're in a cord cutting mood right now.

Disney and Comcast are moving the Hulu purchase ahead in the schedule. Disney's financial year ends Sept 30, so they'll probably want to have the Hulu purchase wrapped up right around then. The more people that go to Hulu before the deal is complete, the more valuable it becomes, and buying out Comcast becomes more expensive.

3 months of ad-supported Disney+ is going for $2/month right now to both existing and new subscribers. If you're going to pick up the Disney bundle (Disney+,Hulu,ESPN+) for the start of the season, then you could just as well wait.

Last edited:

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
How much of that is in rural areas that have been dying for any kind of broadband though
FWA isn't too effective in rural areas. The range of mid/high band 5G is terrible, and it wouldn't make sense to build all the towers. Rural/RV types are still using satellite.

T-Mobile & Verizon aren't marketing FWA towards rural areas, either. They seem to be targeting the suburbs.

T-Mobile ad
Verizon ad

I will say that the cable/fiber losses and FWA adds don't perfectly align. There's more adds than total losses. I'd guess apartment dwellers, keeping in mind the high speed 5G is mostly in downtowns right now.
As someone that used to work in this field, a large amount of rural broadband comes from point to point/multipoint wireless in a couple of different formats and frequencies, surprising amount still on 900mhz gear. Cellular is becoming an option in some areas but its still wireless, and still suffers from common rural wireless problems.

Reactions: Felonious Python

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004

When I canceled a few hours before ESPN pulled their programming, I got the entire thing done in 25 minutes, and that was with some retention hostility.

Spectrum doesn't prorate their bills, so you're stuck with a billing cycle.

There's talk online about a one-time $15 credit you have to ask for, but it also seems to undo any promotional discounts. It might be worth it for some of you to look into bill negotiating services to get a promotional discount if you don't have one.

Last edited:

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004

• In the coming months, the Disney+ Basic ad-supported offering will be provided to customers who purchase the Spectrum TV Select package, as part of a wholesale arrangement.
  • ESPN+ will be provided to Spectrum TV Select Plus subscribers.
  • The ESPN flagship direct-to-consumer service will be made available to Spectrum TV Select subscribers when it launches.
  • Charter will maintain flexibility to offer a range of video packages at varying price points based upon different customer viewing preferences.
Effective immediately, Spectrum TV will provide its customers widespread access to a more curated lineup of 19 networks from The Walt Disney Company. Spectrum will continue to carry the ABC Owned Television Stations, Disney Channel, FX and the Nat Geo Channel, in addition to the full suite of ESPN networks. Networks that will no longer be included in Spectrum TV video packages are Baby TV, Disney Junior, Disney XD, Freeform, FXM, FXX, Nat Geo Wild and Nat Geo Mundo.

FXX is the home of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. The latest season ended a few weeks ago, so they'll have some time to figure things out, but Disney could be winding down FXX. Its other tent pole, 'Archer' is in limbo. Its final season started airing August 30th.

Freeform is the latest iteration of The Family Channel, which has been around forever. 46 years.

Last edited:

Steazy Doo

Jan 31, 2013
Apologies if already answered, but is Sportsnet Now airing our games in Canada still?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad