OT: Watcha watchin'?

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
Finished "Bosch" a few weeks ago. It just stuck me how many similarities there were to "Longmire." If anyone else has watched both, I would be interested in hearing opinions on whether the 21st century Lone Ranger theme is becoming a trope.
One of my favorite scenes in Bosch was when Jerry Edgar was asked if he’d ever seen The Wire.

Reactions: emptyNedder

Bub

I like griping
Jul 5, 2006
Maine
Formula 1: Drive to Survive.

Just finished the first season. Don't tell me how it ends!

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Just rewatched the Witcher, I liked it if you’re into that kind of world. Not exactly game changing but I’ve spent time worse.

midway through BBC’s Sherlock.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
To me, it's been all Olympics for me. Tonight, at least to me, it's been all about Ryan Crouser and Nevin Harrison for the Americans. Well-deserved gold medal performances for both of them. Crouser's shotputting may have been the most dominant recent performance that I've seen in the shotput in a long time. Three straight throws, three straight Olympic records. Here's the clip of Crouser's performance -

I'll post Nevin's when I get a hold of the highlights, but it was also an outstanding performance. Unusually enough, she's a sprint canoeist, of all things, and it was the very first gold medal given to a woman in an Olympic sprint canoe competition.

Last edited:
Reactions: skipnjump

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
Also, the Nevin Harrison clip finally came to YouTube. Speaking of genetically gifted athletes in the field, the fact that this girl is a few months younger than Seth Jarvis :eek: and yet has an upper body twice as large and twice as powerful when compared to her mid-to-late 20s age competition is something else. No wonder she's become so dominant...

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
Something that surprised me at the Olympics: here's the women's discus gold medal winner USA's Valerie Allman.

upload_2021-8-5_11-44-34.png

I was expecting that serious contenders would need a body type similar to that of the shot putters or hammer throwers (kind of along the lines of football offensive linemen). I guess that just shows my ignorance of the sport.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
Something that surprised me at the Olympics: here's the women's discus gold medal winner USA's Valerie Allman.

View attachment 459456

I was expecting that serious contenders would need a body type similar to that of the shot putters or hammer throwers (kind of along the lines of football offensive linemen). I guess that just shows my ignorance of the sport.

Of course, Ryan Crouser is a magnificent shotput champion and world record holder and he's considerably leaner than the rest of his field. Still big, but noticeably more slender relative to his competition. I think that a lot of the throwing competitions are more about speed and technique than brute strength, at least to an extent.

Bub

I like griping
Jul 5, 2006
Maine
Leverage is a fantastic show. They just rebooted it, I haven’t watched any of those. I’m so wary about that kind of stuff, especially when I love the original so much.

A reboot? Huh, hadn't seen that. I agree with you about reboots, though: tread with care. Still, I'll check it out, at least.

skipnjump

Apr 6, 2019
NC
To me, it's been all Olympics for me.

Same here. I love watching the Olympics, both the Winter and Summer games. Admittedly, there are some sports I like watching more than others. It takes me back to my days of running the 400 meters in high school against a runner who wound up winning an Olympic gold medal in 1996 on the 4 x 400 relay. I was not on her level and she beat me by a number of seconds when we ran against each other. :(

Last edited:

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
Just rewatched the Witcher, I liked it if you’re into that kind of world. Not exactly game changing but I’ve spent time worse.

midway through BBC’s Sherlock.
Read the books. SEVERAL TIMES BETTER.

But Henry Cavill is very good as Geralt. I would imagine different looks for Yennefer, but Anya Chalotra (before anyone asks, it's because she's not "MILFy" enough) acts the part very well too. Some portions of the lore are misrepresented They turned Nilfgaard into Mordor. They are no worse or better than Northerners. Sodden was a hill and it was a battle, not mages against an army. Cahir is nowhere near as evil and powerful. And there is this whole thing with Fringilla Vigo, who has been turned into a straight-up villain as well. There is a slew of other issues with the portrayal here, but I am not gonna delve into this... not here. So I am gonna take the issue with producers. The actress seems to have done a good job given the instructions.

Witcher is Polish, so on behalf of our neighbours (hi @JonathanHuberdoh) and my fellow Czech fantasy fans, I am a wee bit touchy with the way Hollywood treats it. Those books were made with the mindset and history of a Western Slav.

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
Anyhow... I saw Suicide Squad and it's pretty good. It would be better if I missed the trailers, but it's still a dope movie. Gave me more feelsy feels than any other comic book movie that isn't Logan. Death actually matters here. Not to mention the bonding is done a lot better here than in the 2016 movie.

Reactions: bleedgreen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad