OT: Watcha watchin'?

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
Surprised to see no one mentioned Letterkenny - I see @DaveG and @Unsustainable each mentioned in the the Rangers game day thread though

giphy.gif

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
trailer park boys first run is good but thats because its actually pretty accurate to some of the people around here

also ive been watching cheers, never really saw any of it, just frasier. watched the first 12 episodes, norm is the man

Reactions: Unsustainable

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Don’t know if this goes here or the lounge, but I was thoroughly disappointed in Captain Marvel.

I have no issues with females playing big roles in these.

No flow. All the “humor” fell flat. Surprisingly not impressive acting from the lead. Special effects not that special.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Don’t know if this goes here or the lounge, but I was thoroughly disappointed in Captain Marvel.

No flow. All the “humor” fell flat. Surprisingly not impressive acting from the lead. Special effects not that special.

Looking forward to the discussion if the film had gone badly with the test audiences, and the "controversy" was intentionally cooked up to dismiss the negative responses as toxic male chauvinism and to rally up the support from the other end of the spectrum. Not!

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007

I enjoyed it, but I’ll admit I’m not hard to please when it comes to superhero movies. Tightened some things up in the Marvel Universe .... excuse me. Mar-velle.

What did you think of Black Panther? THAT was one I was very disappointed in.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I enjoyed it, but I’ll admit I’m not hard to please when it comes to superhero movies. Tightened some things up in the Marvel Universe .... excuse me. Mar-velle.

“I don’t see you doing any end zone dancing....Mar-velle!!”

I give 5 internets/classless subbans to the person who can name that quote. It’s pretty obscure and didn’t come to me until I read your post.

I wasn’t flat out disappointed with Black Panther but I didn’t get the fuss at all. I rewatched it and was generally bored but at least it felt like it “belonged” with all the other ones. It was at least Ant man.

This one has the hype of the main series, and all the emotion I felt I was supposed to be feeling didn’t hit their marks really at all. It got better towards the end when everything picked up but overall left me flat. I was annoyed even when she “unleashed”, and suddenly had all these amazing next level powers she just knew how to expertly use, and if she didn’t she just busted through them hulk style in space without any concern. Instead of having a clever yet strong way to deal with all the missiles, just catching one and throwing it back and it of course just automatically blows up the rest of them.

It felt like it was made for a 13 year old girl with all that plus the emotional moments that weren’t very emotional. Im sure it was! Many of the others usually had a way to get you invested regardless. The plot early in the film felt like a jumbled mess too. Not the kind you realize later was brilliant. It never really cleaned up and I didn’t care.

Soundtrack was half decent but should’ve been better. They come close to nailing the generation but it still felt a little forced. And I kind of felt it was placed in the year it was just so they could use “just a girl” in the climax battle. A little too spoon fed. I’m sure it’s in that year for some other reason but by that point I’d had my fill.

Too much agenda. When I didn’t mind the agenda. Black Panther has a strong agenda too but the acting was better it seemed. Especially from the lead. Captain Marvel never really impressed me. Too whatever about everything. Even when she was acting like she cared.

Last edited:

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
Some of the recent views

True Detective S3 - Highly recommend
The Masked Singer - Oddly entertaining
Big Bang Theory - Never watched, about to finish S1. Great show so far.
Ozark S2 - Highly recommend
Manifest - Decent pilot, worse by the episode
Conversations with a Killer: The Ted Bundy Tapes - highly recommend, but didn't sleep well for a few nights
The Sinner S1 & S2 - Highly recommend. Jessica Biel surprised me.

Want to watch

Halt and Catch Fire
The Umbrella Academy

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
“I don’t see you doing any end zone dancing....Mar-velle!!”

I give 5 internets/classless subbans to the person who can name that quote. It’s pretty obscure and didn’t come to me until I read your post.

I wasn’t flat out disappointed with Black Panther but I didn’t get the fuss at all. I rewatched it and was generally bored but at least it felt like it “belonged” with all the other ones. It was at least Ant man.

This one has the hype of the main series, and all the emotion I felt I was supposed to be feeling didn’t hit their marks really at all. It got better towards the end when everything picked up but overall left me flat. I was annoyed even when she “unleashed”, and suddenly had all these amazing next level powers she just knew how to expertly use, and if she didn’t she just busted through them hulk style in space without any concern. Instead of having a clever yet strong way to deal with all the missiles, just catching one and throwing it back and it of course just automatically blows up the rest of them.

It felt like it was made for a 13 year old girl with all that plus the emotional moments that weren’t very emotional. Im sure it was! Many of the others usually had a way to get you invested regardless. The plot early in the film felt like a jumbled mess too. Not the kind you realize later was brilliant. It never really cleaned up and I didn’t care.

Soundtrack was half decent but should’ve been better. They come close to nailing the generation but it still felt a little forced. And I kind of felt it was placed in the year it was just so they could use “just a girl” in the climax battle. A little too spoon fed. I’m sure it’s in that year for some other reason but by that point I’d had my fill.

Too much agenda. When I didn’t mind the agenda. Black Panther has a strong agenda too but the acting was better it seemed. Especially from the lead. Captain Marvel never really impressed me. Too whatever about everything. Even when she was acting like she cared.

It feels (from the second hand intel) like they're positioning Captain Marvel as the Superman equivalent of the MCU, but the problem is that Superman is such an overkill good-at-everything that he becomes a bore. The selling point in Marvel characters has always been some sort of flawedness that needs to be overcome.

And obviously retconning everything that people thought they knew by retroactively inserting a new character into the backstory to pump her up is always a winner.

The comic book Carol Danvers had paid her dues and then some, but you can't just transplant that into a wholly different setting. Also the best superheroine costume in the business.

Last edited:

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
@The Faulker 27 halt and catch fire was enjoyable. Humans was too...just not quite as good. Touched on some things from the black mirror without being as disturbing.

I really enjoyed the man in the high Castle season one and two but season three was too many flashbacks of crap I didn't care about and didn't build the story. Reminded me of what I hated about walking dead and lost.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014

Didn't like the black panther at all..... people treated me like I was racist for saying that. He just wasn't an interesting character much like Captian America....and there weren't any good jokes either.

Like Luke Cage much more.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
Didn't like the black panther at all..... people treated me like I was racist for saying that. He just wasn't an interesting character much like Captian America....and there weren't any good jokes either.

Like Luke Cage much more.
I’ve got zero problems with the character and feel like there are plenty of ways to make him interesting .... the storyline was so over the top preachy and it just didn’t do it for me, at all. I will rewatch almost every MCU movie if it’s on TV, and all the DC ones. Obviously BP is not on TV yet but it’s on Netflix and the Delta Airlines entertainment system (I fly a lot) and i just have no desire to see it again.

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
Started Norsemen on Netflix last night, freakin hilarious. Has a bunch of the Norwegians involved in the show Lilyhammer which doesn’t get enough love imo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad