OT: Watcha Listenin' To? Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
View attachment 394825

Three great guitarists played with the Yardbirds in the 60s.

1. Eric Clapton
2. Jeff Beck
3. Jimmy Page

Jeff and Jimmy played in the band together for less than 3 months. So this is a rare photo. This lineup also was in a movie, which escapes me now. The movie shows Jimmy as a bass player.
Of course, they asked Chris Dreja the rhythm guitarist for all those years to play bass......

They were the opening act for the Rolling Stones in the summer of '66 around London. Of course, those two together probably blew away Richards and Jones.

In late 67, early 68 you can hear Jimmy playing a few of the Yardbird's songs with the cello bow. Originally Jimmy wanted to call his new band the New Yardbirds, but they changed it to
Led Zeppelin and I guess the rest is history........

Yes I have all the albums and as many CDs I could find. Unfortunately the number of songs Jeff and Jimmy recorded together was 4 or 5. And one was for a commercial!

I can't stand Clapton or Jeff Beck. There was a guy who went on and on and on about them and others of their ilk, and I didn't like them to begin with, so it was just misery to be around him. He was also a huge fan of Pink F***ing Floyd. Misery.

macleish1974

Crash.....Heart of a Lion
Aug 2, 2005
Florida Swampland
I can't stand Clapton or Jeff Beck. There was a guy who went on and on and on about them and others of their ilk, and I didn't like them to begin with, so it was just misery to be around him. He was also a huge fan of Pink F***ing Floyd. Misery.
When Brian Jones left/fired/died from the Rolling Stones, they called Jeff Beck. He said "no thanks". The Stones decided on the John Mayall Blues Band lead guitarist, a teenager by the name of Mick Taylor. ( Mick took over lead when Clapton left the John Mayall Band). Saw the Stones twice 69 and 71 with Mick. Best lead the Stones ever had. Keith could only look on in bewonderment. Jagger too.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com

Such a damn great song. Everett Morton absolutely rocking on this one on drums too, a rare lefty drummer too... even though set up as a righty kit!

Ranking Roger died way too young. Only 56 two years ago. And by all accounts a lovely man and did a lot of work with charities and commissions for equality in the UK.

He was the "kid" of the British ska scene. In this video a few days past 19 years old.

All from within a stones throw of where I currently live as well...

Reactions: Hawkman

Elvis P

You ain't nothin but a hound dog
Dec 10, 2007
Graceland
When Brian Jones left/fired/died from the Rolling Stones, they called Jeff Beck. He said "no thanks". The Stones decided on the John Mayall Blues Band lead guitarist, a teenager by the name of Mick Taylor. ( Mick took over lead when Clapton left the John Mayall Band). Saw the Stones twice 69 and 71 with Mick. Best lead the Stones ever had. Keith could only look on in bewonderment. Jagger too.
Agreed with all this. Mick was there for the best stuff such as Sticky Fingers and Exile on Main St. He even co-wrote my favorite Stones non-single Ventilator Blues.

Reactions: macleish1974

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
Driving force of Peter Gabriel's live band. Incredible.

Haha nice! Always been a fan of Gabriel. Such a treat to watch talented musicians!

On a different note (ha!), I'm happy to see bands like Snarky Puppy bring back jazz into the mainstream with top flight musicianship.

And this might not be your thing, but man, these guys are so fun to watch because they clearly love what they do and have insane talent!

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com

One of my fave Pixies songs.

I dunno... weird song... but one of those rare songs that crank up to full with cans on and just go somewhere else. Joey's wailing guitar, Francis's intensity and emotion, that outro... just epic.

I think Bossanova and Trompe le Monde get overlooked at times as they diverge from what the Pixies kind of came to be known for with earlier stuff... but while different I love them (almost) as much.

Reactions: mja

macleish1974

Crash.....Heart of a Lion
Aug 2, 2005
Florida Swampland
Agreed with all this. Mick was there for the best stuff such as Sticky Fingers and Exile on Main St. He even co-wrote my favorite Stones non-single Ventilator Blues.
To me their best album was Let It Bleed, a take on the Beatles Let It Be. I saw them late Nov 1969. Mick Taylor was with the band and they played a few songs from this album. The opening was fantastic: BB King! The following year I saw Muddy Waters....
Maybe the best concert. I was 10 feet away.
The venue was the Main Point in Bryn Mawr.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly

One of my fave Pixies songs.

I dunno... weird song... but one of those rare songs that crank up to full with cans on and just go somewhere else. Joey's wailing guitar, Francis's intensity and emotion, that outro... just epic.

I think Bossanova and Trompe le Monde get overlooked at times as they diverge from what the Pixies kind of came to be known for with earlier stuff... but while different I love them (almost) as much.

I'm guilty of overlooking Bossanova and to a lesser extent Trompe le Monde--Alec Eiffel's always been my jam. I decided to do a deep dive on both of them this fall while on a necessary trip abroad and weirdly just fell in love with Motorway to Roswell, which I've liked just fine for decades but suddenly it hit on a deeper level for me. I literally spent a couple of weeks in October just walking all over Paris playing this on repeat while surrounded by people in masks. It was the best song possible to capture the mood. I actually shared a live cut earlier in the thread at the time.

And now, time for something completely different. I've noticed there are a few other Road House admirers on the boards, and I, like them, noticed it had been playing on the TV recently, and, as usual, I couldn't help but to put down the remote to watch Dalton rip out a guy's throat or to "be nice" to Doc with a little Otis playing in the background.

Elvis P

You ain't nothin but a hound dog
Dec 10, 2007
Graceland
Agreed. If you're not political, your reviews aren't as good. There are artists such as B. Joel or Bob Seger who are underrated by critics.

Reactions: dragonoffrost
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad