OT: Watcha Listenin' To? - Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY

Had not listened to this in years until I was listening to The Damned on my phone with shuffle on for their whole discography... and their cover of this came on.

Now listened to Forever Changes on repeat about 15 times in last 2 days. What an album.

I think that's the only Damned track I know so at some point I'll have to check deeper into them. I told my British expat employee that I probably regularly listen to more UK artists then he ever has. :laugh:

Reactions: Appleyard

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
My dude. Immediately go put on Surfer Rosa. That record is quite literally one of the greatest records of all time. The sequence of songs from Bone Machine through Where Is My Mind? is just near perfect, with the only blemish being that it has the inferior version of Gigantic.

Don't sleep on Come On Pilgrim either.

I like Surfer Rosa... but just never thought it was quite as powerful or consistent as Doolittle! But I may well just listen to every Pixies album today in the background, for sure one of my favourite ~10-20 bands ever.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I think that's the only Damned track I know so at some point I'll have to check deeper into them. I told my British expat employee that I probably regularly listen to more UK artists then he ever has. :laugh:

The Damned, The Clash and The Stranglers were always my favourite UK "Punk" bands... even though all diverged from punk after a few albums and brought their own influences into their music way more. Maybe that is why, they were better musicians than the rest of the UK punk scene and could write better music, and lyrics for the most part, and could write more nuanced music very well.

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
Here's my current obsession. Such a lush and layered song whch is certainly put over the top by Morten Harket's vocals. I may not like every A-ha track but this one grabbed me as instantly and hard as Take on Me did when I first heard it.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
I actually really hate that song, but I like Bowie in general. My favorite ... well, my favorite three are "Life On Mars," "Modern Love" and "Starman" I guess.

tenor.gif

I'm sorry Cap, but you're just horribly wrong with that take. :laugh:

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
I actually really hate that song,

First of all, you can't say that because it is objectively a great song and by objective I mean it is my subjective opinion

Second of all, in addition to the ones you named, I love China Girl and Cat People

..I said I struggle to name top X. There is always one more song I feel I should have named too

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

mja

Jan 7, 2005
First of all, you can't say that because it is objectively a great song and by objective I mean it is my subjective opinion

Second of all, in addition to the ones you named, I love China Girl and Cat People

..I said I struggle to name top X. There is always one more song I feel I should have named too

I mean, there are people in Germany who insist that the 87 performance of that song in Berlin eventually helped to bring down the wall. How many other pop songs can claim that kind of import? And even if you remove all of that from the equation, it's just a f***ing great song.

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
Bowie's a legend. i think i'm one of the few people who actually enjoy his 80's work more than his 70's stuff. which is where most of his classics come from.

anyone remember The Replacements? kinda rediscovered them again recently.

mja

Jan 7, 2005
It's not a take, bro - I didn't (and wouldn't) call it a "bad" song or anything like that - I just hate it. It's just my feeling and stuff, doesn't mean anything.

Then it's a bad feeling and you should feel bad feeling that feeling.

Bowie's a legend. i think i'm one of the few people who actually enjoy his 80's work more than his 70's stuff. which is where most of his classics come from.

anyone remember The Replacements? kinda rediscovered them again recently.

How could we forget the Philadelphia sports fan theme song:

Reactions: bauer

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
And since we're also on the subject of the greatness of David Bowie, I'm of the strong opinion that Ashes to Ashes doesn't get anywhere near enough airplay.

I was born over a decade after that song came out, so airplay I don't know about (it's always the same 5 songs today), but I can wholeheartedly agree that is one of my favorite Bowie songs. If it's a sort of sequel to "Space Oddity," I think it's even better. The moment when the synths crescendo at the end is one of my favorite Bowie moments period.

That whole album -- Scary Monsters and Super Creeps -- is top 3 for me. Right up there with "Ashes to Ashes" is "Teenage Wildlife" as one of my favorite underrated Bowie songs. I think it's THE most underrated. It's one of the most listenable, insanely catchy 7 minute songs ever, and Fripp's guitar playing is at its best (along with the title song from that album).

I understand people like the early stuff like Hunky Dory and Ziggy and Aladdin Sane, but 1976-1980 is my favorite Bowie era, from Station to Station to Low to "Heroes" to Scary Monsters ("Heroes" might actually be my least favorite of the 4, but it's all relative; the other 3 are my favorites). Killer instrumentals (I love listening to the back half soundscapes of Low and "Heroes" when I'm in a pensive mood), varied sounds, catchy ones too. Lodger came right before Scary Monsters, but I don't really care for that one or listen to it.

Just some of my (mostly) under-appreciated favorites from those 4 albums: "Station to Station," "TVC-15," "Word on a Wing," "Stay," "Sound and Vision," "Always Crashing in the Same Car," "A New Career in a New Town," "Warszawa," "Subterraneans," "The Secret Life of Arabia," "Up the Hill Backwards," "Kingdom Come." I mean I want to cheat and just say the entire f***ing albums. (Bowie is my favorite artist, can you tell?)

I assume most fans have listened to his final dirge of an album, Blackstar, but even the one before, The Next Day, was some of the best Bowie in decades. Check out "The Stars (Are Out Tonight)," "Love Is Lost," and "Valentine's Day."

Reactions: mja and Appleyard

mja

Jan 7, 2005
I was born over a decade after that song came out, so airplay I don't know about (it's always the same 5 songs today), but I can wholeheartedly agree that is one of my favorite Bowie songs. If it's a sort of sequel to "Space Oddity," I think it's even better. The moment when the synths crescendo at the end is one of my favorite Bowie moments period.

It makes my hair stand on end every goddam time I hear it. It's one of my favorite moments in music.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com

One of the best live bands I have ever seen...
and one of the best lyricists ever in my estimation, pretty much everything he has written - even from the 80's - is still so relevant.

Young Sandwich

Trout & Hockey
Sponsor
Dec 13, 2015
Outerspace

New Beirut album is out today. Zach Condon is a phenomenal musician. Such a distinct voice and music style that I think anyone can enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad