Watch out for Travis Konecny

Status
Not open for further replies.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
No, not really. That's skewed by the first 3 months of the season. In the last 3 months, he's been on the Giroutierer line, and since January he's averaging about 17+. When he was buried in the lineup for the first half of the season, he was averaging about 13:15 per game.

This is his stat line for October, November, December: 38gp 4g 9a 13p (that's a 9g 19a 29p pace)

Here's his stat line in January, February, March: 39gp 19g 13a 32p (that's a 40g 27a 67p pace)

Needless to say, he'd be ripping some eyeballs open if he'd been on the first line all season. But yeah, he's doing this in 17+ minutes per night, not 15.

He said "averaging" so yeah, he was correct. The first 3 months of the season did happen and the OP even said he has 45 points so it's not like he was only talking about Konecny's numbers since joining Giroux's line. Had he said Konecny has averaged 14:50 and has been on a ~70 point pace since joining Giroux, that would have been disingenuous.

Since joining Giroux's line which I believe started on 12/22 he has averaged 16:09 and has 19 goals and 35 points in 43 games (36 goal 67 point pace).

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
He said "averaging" so yeah, he was correct. The first 3 months of the season did happen and the OP even said he has 45 points so it's not like he was only talking about Konecny's numbers since joining Giroux's line. Had he said Konecny has averaged 14:50 and has been on a ~70 point pace since joining Giroux, that would have been disingenuous.

Since joining Giroux's line which I believe started on 12/22 he has averaged 16:09 and has 19 goals and 35 points in 43 games (36 goal 67 point pace).

I understand how averages work, I was more concerned with whether they're relevant, and also with how words work. "He is averaging" is in the present tense, and much different than saying "he has averaged over this season." He would not have the production he has if he did not get the minutes he gets now. We would not have this thread were he not producing. So the 3 games in December where he played less than 9 minutes have very little bearing on his production today. Hence, he "is" averaging more than that.

My initial math was wrong, it's actually about 16:28 per game since 1/1. I'm not going since 12/22 (which I don't think is right, given that he got less than 13 minutes per night in 3 of the 4 outlying games there, which is not 1st line time). What he said was still a little misleading, that's all, when he's played more than that in 20 of his last 27 games. And not a few seconds more, either, we're talking about 18, 19, 20 minutes in some of those games.

It's really semantic.

Last edited:

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Middle 6 winger? He's a top 6 winger already and will probably end up as a solid 1st liner winger.
We'll see. He's off to a great start. I could see him on the top line full time.
But at the time of his draft, middle 6 was his projection. Much like Dermott's was top 4 D. I think he'll be a great #2 when all is said and done.

Last edited by a moderator:

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
I understand how averages work, I was more concerned with whether they're relevant, and also with how words work. "He is averaging" is in the present tense, and much different than saying "he has averaged over this season." He would not have the production he has if he did not get the minutes he gets now. We would not have this thread were he not producing. So the 3 games in December where he played less than 9 minutes have very little bearing on his production today.

My initial math was wrong, it's actually about 16:28 per game since 1/1. I'm not going since 12/22 (which I don't think is right, given that he got less than 13 minutes per night in 3 of the 4 outlying games there, which is not 1st line time). What he said was still a little misleading, that's all.
The OP mentioned his game totals and point totals for the season directly after his average TOI. I don't think it was tough to figure out that he was referring to the TOI he's gotten during the entire season.

I looked back at the GDT and the first one with Konecny on the first line was 12/23 so since then he's averaged 16:16.

Obviously he wouldn't have his current production with 14:50 of ice time playing on the 3rd line but he would also have way more than 45 point so I think it was pretty fair to point out his TOI for the season when also referring to his points and games played this season.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I liked him at 17 for the Jets that draft but was happy to take Connor who was somehow available as well. When he was getting close to 25 I was so excited then you guys had to snag him one pick before :(.

Roslovic's a good player too so it wasn't a complete waste.

The Jets were apparently going to take him according to this interview after the draft with a Flyers scout.

We had him like 11th, so we were really excited when Hexy (Flyers' GM Ron Hextall) said we could move up," said Hearty. "Toronto wanted to move down, and we made the deal."

The Flyers once again thought about staying put, but this time they weren't as certain the player they coveted would be there. "We were at 29," said Hearty. "We debated waiting to see if Konecny or Nick Merkley were there, but I think we felt as a group that Konecny had the better upside even though we loved Merkley. Konecny has more upside; he's a quicker skater, they're both character guys."

Hearty has since learned that Konecny would not have made it past pick 25...or 26 for that matter as Montreal would have taken him.
Philly patience pays off at the draft table: An interview with Flyers scout Todd Hearty

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
Random thread about Konecny's season, immediate unsolicited posts about Travis Dermott.

ok
they will always be tied together for the leafs fanbase since alot of people wanted the leafs to draft him, but they made the trade instead and got dermott and bracco.
no need to get so snarky, its not that big of a deal lol

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
We'll see. He's off to a great start. I could see him on the top line full time.
But at the time of his draft, middle 6 was his projection. Much like Dermott's was top 4 D. I think he'll be a great #2 when all is said and done.
The difference is, Konecny is already playing like a 1st or at worst a 2nd line winger. Dermott might have the upside of a top 4 defenseman but right now he's a 3rd pairing defenseman.

Reactions: Striiker

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Does the emergence of him make Simmonds expendable, especially in a 'down' year?
Simmonds has been on the 3rd line since Konecny was promoted. They essentially switched spots in the lineup. I don't see Simmonds getting that spot back because he's just not a great ES player. To answer your question, I think the emergence of Lindblom makes Simmonds expendable moving forward a little more than Konecny because he plays a little more like Simmonds in that he's good on the boards and in front of the net.

Reactions: Striiker

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Not only is he producing like one of the best 1st line wingers in the league since being promoted there, he is passing the eye test with flying colors. He can do laps around defensemen with the puck on his stick in the offensive zone. His shifts against Dallas that ended with him scoring a goal top-shelf short-side on Niemi on Tuesday was unreal.

I see him as a 30-30 guy consistently moving forward, with his peak years flirting with 35-35.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Another example of the ridiculously deep 2015 draft. For what it's worth he probably will be overshadowed most of his career by Nolan but he has definately been hot lately

A small group of Flyers fans on our forum were actually discussing Konecny as an option with the 7th overall pick if Provorov wasn't available. When Hextall used the Tampa 1st and Chicago 2nd to trade up to 24, I immediately shouted "He's taking Konecny!"

HenrikW

Feb 21, 2018
A small group of Flyers fans on our forum were actually discussing Konecny as an option with the 7th overall pick if Provorov wasn't available. When Hextall used the Tampa 1st and Chicago 2nd to trade up to 24, I immediately shouted "He's taking Konecny!"

In hindsight, I think taking him at 7th is a stretch. He could go at 10th in a redraft but I wouldn't take him over Boeser or Aho for sure, and Rantanen is debatable. Would you? Certainly not a slight towards him though, 2015 draft were just THAT good. I don't think flyers would have been truly upset if he was taken 7th

2015 gotta be the deepest draft since 2003

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

I'm not sure where you read he is a middle six fwd. But this is what Head Scout and Director of Player of Personnel of OS Attack wrote.

From Sean Lafortune:If you believe in his skill and compete level, then he’s a top 6 winger who can score and create off the rush. If you’re unsure about the growth that he has left and his ability to remain healthy, his projections would be more limited, projecting him as a bottom 6 forward, quality penalty killer and depth scorer…. He tracks back in support quite often; he played wing a lot more recently and that’s probably going be his future, but he definitely can play center.”

Button also had him at #10 OA in his rankings prior to his draft season.
TSN Director of Scouting Craig Button’s Analysis:

Travis has a blend of skill, physical play and determination that reminds one of Pat Verbeek. Like Pat, Travis can score and he can do so with a shot from out or determination around the net. He asserts physically and he does not get pushed off puck or out of his space and will punish opponents. Doesn't let himself be denied and he plays with smarts and an intensity that allows him to make a 'dent' in the game

Doesn't sound like projected middle 6 fwd to me.

Reactions: Rebels57
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad