Watch out for Travis Konecny

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gsus

MVP
Feb 20, 2014
Pori, Finland
Guy is averaging 14:50 in ice time. He's played 77 games and has 23 goals with 22 assists combined for 45 points. 22 of those goals are at even strength and he only has 3 PP points. Since he's being promoted to the Flyers top line he has third most 5v5 goals (16) and is 5th in 5v5 points.

He was buried in the bottom 6 for quite a while but when he got his chance he's running with it. He's pretty much a more skilled version of Brendan Gallagher. I've been watching Konecny since he was drafted and he oozed with his skills pre draft. Now he's getting on the score sheet also at NHL level and he could be real scary soon. He's tough, he's highly skilled and has a great shot which he needs to use more often. A fun player to watch.

This goal presents him pretty well:

HenrikW

Feb 21, 2018
Another example of the ridiculously deep 2015 draft. For what it's worth he probably will be overshadowed most of his career by Nolan but he has definately been hot lately

Reactions: FlyerFaithful17

Gsus

MVP
Feb 20, 2014
Pori, Finland
Another example of the ridiculously deep 2015 draft. For what it's worth he probably will be overshadowed most of his career by Nolan but he has definately been hot lately
It was a deep draft indeed but I remember thinking of him as a steal at 24th pick very quickly. IIRC he fell because of past injuries but Hextall had his eye on him and he traded up to get TK. He wouldn't have lasted long either way but Hextall really wanted him.

The Flyers have lot of great young players but I don't think Patrick will overshadow him much. It could be like Bergeron and Marchand. Bergeron plays more quiet but effective game.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Leafs traded the pick for him to Philly and we still (Maybe) made out like bandits.
Travis Dermott is the prime piece we ended up with and he's off to a great start in the NHL.

As was said, that 2015 draft looks/is crazy good.

HenrikW

Feb 21, 2018
It was a deep draft indeed but I remember thinking of him as a steal at 24th pick very quickly. IIRC he fell because of past injuries but Hextall had his eye on him and he traded up to get TK. He wouldn't have lasted long either way but Hextall really wanted him.

Hextall has done a phenomenal job. Unlucky with injuries to Rubtsov but apart from him picks are working out great. Morgan Frost looks poised to make an impact soon too, although maybe a year in AHL would do him good. It's a treat to see Philly do well

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Guy is averaging 14:50 in ice time. He's played 77 games and has 23 goals with 22 assists combined for 45 points. 22 of those goals are at even strength and he only has 3 PP points. Since he's being promoted to the Flyers top line he has third most 5v5 goals (16) and is 5th in 5v5 points.

He was buried in the bottom 6 for quite a while but when he got his chance he's running with it. He's pretty much a more skilled version of Brendan Gallagher. I've been watching Konecny since he was drafted and he oozed with his skills pre draft. Now he's getting on the score sheet also at NHL level and he could be real scary soon. He's tough, he's highly skilled and has a great shot which he needs to use more often. A fun player to watch.

This goal presents him pretty well:

I like this kid...Going to be a good one.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
19 goals and 35 points in around 40 games since moving to the top line with Giroux and Couturier. He's been one of he best players on the ice night in and night out. He makes some bad reads and tries to force a pretty pass instead of firing it once in a while but that was something he was doing every game last year so he's clearly learning and getting better every game. I thought a gritty 60 point winger was his ceiling but I'm starting to think that could be on the low end of what we see in his prime.

Reactions: Striiker

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.

The Flyers have lot of great young players but I don't think Patrick will overshadow him much. It could be like Bergeron and Marchand. Bergeron plays more quiet but effective game.
I liked him at 17 for the Jets that draft but was happy to take Connor who was somehow available as well. When he was getting close to 25 I was so excited then you guys had to snag him one pick before :(.

Roslovic's a good player too so it wasn't a complete waste.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I just like that the Flyers top 6 could be set for the next 4 years with everyone under contract which allows the other young kids coming lots of time to develop. Kids like Frost, Vorobyev, Allison, Ratcliffe, Laczynski, Rubstov, etc...

Giroux Couts Konecny
Lindblom Patrick Voracek

People forget that Philly has 2 rookies on the 2nd line. And both are not used to a long season. Lindblom is used to 50ish game seasons and Patrick played 33 games last year dealing with the 2 hernias and surgery.

Next year, that 2nd line is going to take a big jump forward overall.

Reactions: Striiker

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Leafs traded the pick for him to Philly and we still (Maybe) made out like bandits.
Travis Dermott is the prime piece we ended up with and he's off to a great start in the NHL.

As was said, that 2015 draft looks/is crazy good.
Dermott fits a need much better. I would never want that reversed.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
We were talking about him in the 2015 redraft thread and how criminally underrated he was.

I think he will be in the range of top 10 in redrafts as he starts to get more mins and perhaps #1PP usage. I agree with the general theme of this OP. Don't sleep on Travis. He's a terrific young player already, plays bigger than his size, with speed and skill, and tenacity.

Absolute steal by Hextall in the trade up when he stood out like a sore thumb at #24. To me this was as good as a pick at #10 or thereabouts.

Reactions: 99664987

Territory

Jan 31, 2014
Toronto
People were really mad at the time when Toronto traded away from him but it's worked out.

He's a good player though. Suprised he dropped to 24. I remember watching the draft and everyone being surprised he was even available at 24.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Guy is averaging 14:50 in ice time.

No, not really. That's skewed by the first 3 months of the season. In the last 3 months, he's been on the Giroutierer line, and since January he's averaging about 17+. When he was buried in the lineup for the first half of the season, he was averaging about 13:15 per game.

This is his stat line for October, November, December: 38gp 4g 9a 13p (that's a 9g 19a 29p pace)

Here's his stat line in January, February, March: 39gp 19g 13a 32p (that's a 40g 27a 67p pace)

Needless to say, he'd be ripping some eyeballs open if he'd been on the first line all season. But yeah, he's doing this in 17+ minutes per night, not 15.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Garbage player who's benefiting heavily from Giroux IMO

Extremely glad the Leafs traded down and ended up with Dermott.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I wanted the Jets to draft him at 25. Then Phlly had to swoop in trade for the pick. Im still happy with Roslovic but Konecny is going to be a good player.

If you thought Chevy had a Cheshire Cat smile on his face when Connor was available at #17. he would have had broke out LOTF if Konecny was there at #25. Hextall to his credit saw this and was proactive in moving up to get Konecny. Right now it is looking like a brilliant bit of Managing. But as I like to say, it was a bit of a no brainer too.

Reactions: Rebels57
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad