Wasted cap space by team

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
If there ever was an overrated, egotistical GM, it is Brian Burke. Who ever decided to fire him when they did should get a medal as that decision was the start of the turn around of this franchise. Unfortunately they didn't fire his sidekick, Nonis, at the same time.

He's egotistical no doubt, many 'A' types are. Like him or not his resume isn't bad.

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
If there ever was an overrated, egotistical GM, it is Brian Burke. Who ever decided to fire him when they did should get a medal as that decision was the start of the turn around of this franchise. Unfortunately they didn't fire his sidekick, Nonis, at the same time.

Agreed. Burke's decisions set this team back so much. Nonis continued to ride his mistakes.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Same thing really. Having extra cap gives no benefit. On the other hand, acquiring cap relief players gives draft picks and/or trade value. I'm glad our team uses all the cap space given to them.

The supposed "Clean" teams aren't trying hard enough to gain an advantage.

This perspective comes from fans from teams not understanding that some clubs simply can't afford buy-outs and other things that richer teams can afford. Those teams cannot go to a magic money tree and bail themselves out. Many teams have to operate under a financial reality/constraint.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
DHsKNDUXgAEprLM.png

Thanks.

Leafs are in excellent shape for wasted space.

1.2 million after this season.

That's nothing.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
This graph is flawed and not complete. IMO

Due the rookie performance bonus paid out last year to Matthews, Marner, Nylander and other rookies etc the Leafs have incurred a $5,370,000 (CARRYOVER BONUS OVERAGES) against this years cap.

That $5.37 mil is also dead/wasted cap space that can't be used as part of this years salary cap & added to the Cowan $750k, Gleason $1.333 mil and Kessel $1.2 mil retention = $8.65 mil in dead cap space this year which is likely among the worst in the league.

There was always going to be pain in ridding this team of the cap bind from the previous management group. There was no way around it.

The Shanny/Lou/Babs management team were very upfront that were would be pain and I think they expect it for many more seasons then. But then drafting Matthews changed all of that.

This management team has done an excellent job of getting out from under the horrible cap management of the previous team.

You pointed to the Kessel 1.2M in another post but I'd choose to focus on how we've gained extra assets from good cap management.

Kessel was dealt for a 1st, 3rd and an affordable high end potential Kapanen (1st was used to get our starting goalie).

Winnik for 1 year of cap dump Laich + Carrick + 2nd (Grundstrom)

Phaneuf for a bunch of short term cap dumps (Cowen was a cap credit last year + 2nd rounder who we used to draft Rananen)

Gaining a 4th rounder for taking on Fehr

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I can't stand Burke as much as the next guy, and though I don't have the numbers in front of me, at the time of his firing weren't the Leafs heading towards having something like 15-16 million in cap space. It his credit he was (wisely) wary of long term big money deals

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
Agreed. Burke's decisions set this team back so much. Nonis continued to ride his mistakes.

Blame Peddie for hiring the guy for a team in a clear rebuild position and telling him to start making the playoffs.

Richard Peddie set this organization back. Our GM's were simply following his lead. JFJ and Burke are fine executives who were given marching orders that never made sense with where their teams were heading.

JFJ wanted to do this style of rebuild coming out of the 05 lockout and was basically laughed at by Peddie.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
I can't stand Burke as much as the next guy, and though I don't have the numbers in front of me, at the time of his firing weren't the Leafs heading towards having something like 15-16 million in cap space. It his credit he was (wisely) wary of long term big money deals

Burke's best moves were trying to fix holes on defence. I believe he once said that he'd rather have too many dmen as you can always trade them to fill other holes.

Beauchemin for Gardiner and Lupul came out of that type of management which more then offsets any bad deal to a guy like Komisarek.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad