Wasted cap space by team

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
DHsKNDUXgAEprLM.png

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011

Makes sense to have teams who have been contending for a long time and some budget teams in the "clean" list. why on earth isn't Buffalo eating more cap for picks?

I guess this wouldn't include dumps. For Leafs, Kessel's loss is for kapanen and Cowens is actually only $100k because he was a cap credit last season.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Leafs have always been bad at this.

I believe at the height of Nonis' reign of terror, if you included the compliance buyouts the Leafs were essentially paying close to the cap floor in salary to players to NOT play for the team.

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Leafs have always been bad at this.

I believe at the height of Nonis' reign of terror, if you included the compliance buyouts the Leafs were essentially paying close to the cap floor in salary to players to NOT play for the team.

Leafs gladly eat Cowen's contract, how bad is Otttawa trying to move Phaneuf and they can't...

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
The post is about cap, not money.

Same thing really. Having extra cap gives no benefit. On the other hand, acquiring cap relief players gives draft picks and/or trade value. I'm glad our team uses all the cap space given to them.

The supposed "Clean" teams aren't trying hard enough to gain an advantage.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Same thing really. Having extra cap gives no benefit. On the other hand, acquiring cap relief players gives draft picks and/or trade value. I'm glad our team uses all the cap space given to them.

Agree with the whole post except first 2 sentences.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010

This is money used on guys not playing for you, the vast majority being buyouts because of their own stupid contracts they gave out. You can't take on someone's buyout cap for assets. Teams taking on **** contracts for assets in return don't count as "wasted cap" in this table until you buy the **** contract out. Making a table of bad money to try to determine who would be using their cap space "well" is much tougher as it's more subjective and would give more of an idea how terrible the team is at signing bad contracts rather than acquiring bad contracts for assets. It's a tough thing to measure.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
who the hell cares? its 2 million. Considering the fact that Matthews is underpaid by about 6 million dollars right now, this should be the least of our worries. Between the elc's of matthews, nylander, and marner, we are saving 10-15 million in terms of getting this quality production for less than that market price. 1 more year of gleason/cowen is literally not even on the radar in terms of being a legit concern to this team right now.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
The Leafs have cap dedicated to buyouts and salary retention? That's news to me...

Not.

How about a more creative attempt at controversy next time?

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
The Leafs have cap dedicated to buyouts and salary retention? That's news to me...

Not.

We need a new slogan around here. Just like how fake news gets called out today, we need a slogan to drive out the controversy setting agenda. This "leafs suck, everything is always bad" agenda has GOT TO STOP!

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON

Not.

Who's making this a controversy?

It's crazy how bad the Leafs used to be in regards to the cap. Speaks volumes about their free agent signings and what they were paying for in terms of mediocre talent.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
Who's making this a controversy?

It's crazy how bad the Leafs used to be in regards to the cap. Speaks volumes about their free agent signings and what they were paying for in terms of mediocre talent.

no man its just like this thread, the "leafs d is league worst", the "mo is a number 4 dman" the "all the rookies are going to take a step back", the "lou is overrated". All these threads have the same agenda, to keep this "leafs are still garbage, everything that can go wrong will go wrong" ideology alive. It has to stop.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
no man its just like this thread, the "leafs d is league worst", the "mo is a number 4 dman" the "all the rookies are going to take a step back", the "lou is overrated". All these threads have the same agenda, to keep this "leafs are still garbage, everything that can go wrong will go wrong" ideology alive. It has to stop.

I think the perception has definitely changed around this team. Not just from within, but from around the league as well.

For the longest time, it was all about putting butts in seats because they didn't think that we (as fans) could handle the rebuild.

But I'm fine with having both positive threads that pump the tires of the team and constructive criticism threads as well. Because after all, this is a discussion board.

I don't blame people for being skeptical on contracts. Most younger fans only know mediocre teams and are reacting because it's the only thing they know.

The new regime way of doing things right is actually refreshing and people don't know how to act lol.

Is the Leafs defense the worst in the league? No chance. Colorado & New Jersey are worse off than the Leafs by a lot.

I know it's not the thread to get into all of that, but the cap is definitely something to focus on going forward. But after this year, it's almost a clean slate. No more Lupul to worry about on LTIR, buyouts of Cowen/Gleason, and a lot of other cash coming off the books. Also have JVR, Bozak, Komarov, Fehr due as UFA's.

I would say the Leafs are sitting in a great spot in terms of salary cap after this year.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
They get a pass from me on this. Gleason wasn't acquired or bought out by this entire regime. They did acquire and buyout Cowen and (minus Lou) retain on Kessel, but those were done in response to other moves they didn't all make (re-signing Phaneuf and Kessel long-term).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->