Friedman: Washington running out of patience with Kuznetsov?

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
So many people don't understand that team sports isn't a bunch of video game sprites.

Accountability is pivotal to the success of any team and if you have players, no matter how talented, who continuously refuse to do what's best for the team, it's absolutely corrosive to the team's ability to pull on the same rope at the same time.

But enough about Patrik Laine lets talk about Kuznetsov :naughty:

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Guy is such a player when he's on his game.

Imagine if Kuznetsov hadn't been motivated and showed up for the 2018 playoffs. Ovechkin & Bäckström still wouldn't have been out of the 2nd round of the playoffs in like 12 tries, despite three Presidents' Trophies. That's insane. He saved both of their legacies big time there. Whoa.

Even dumber than getting caught as a coke addict though is saying you aren't motivated enough to play hard on a game-to-game basis. That's something you should say after your career is already done, like in a memoir or something. Not when you're in the (supposed) prime of your career.

He's only 28 and should ideally be their 1C for the next 5–7 years, especially since both Ovi & Bäcks are getting up there in age, but I wouldn't be surprised if they cut him loose now, and if he never really bounces back to what he was around 2017–2018. That dimension he brought with his skating, zone-entering skills, set up skills, shooting skills, possession skills, Washington will continue to get nowhere without it.

Reactions: bur and 666 others

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
I dont see how anyone can be surprised, his antics are getting pretty well documented. Hes now on the covid list again, seems like he doesnt care to follow rules set out for all players, plus the well known cocaine issue. If this much is public, makes you wonder how much else is going on behind the season.
If he can still play hockey then someone will probably want to take their chances . Maybe not being stuck behind Backstrom will wake him up a bit

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
It's like Kuzy sucked out all the competitive juice from himself in the cup run and since then it's been up and down both on and off the ice.

If a player decides he made it and doesn't take his job seriously that can be difficult to change, particularly with older players.

If i was trading for Kuznetsov, i'd be expecting to get a really good player back who will probably be lights out in this first year after the shock of getting traded for the first time in his NHL career and having to leave a comfortable environment. That said, i'd also be very concerned about how long that lasts until the same problems surface again.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
tenor.gif

Reactions: Jeune Poulet

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Geez maybe Tom Wilson wasn't so crazy. He somehow distracted the fans from the real issue behind the scenes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad