GDT: Washington Not-Commanders @ Dallas Not-Cowboys | 10/27/22 | 8:30p ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

notDkristich

Jan 27, 2013
Carlson and OV stand around for 90 seconds per power play. If Carlson cant move his fat ass, he needs to get off the ice for someone who can produce. It's been 3+ years of sloth. It's time to move on.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Free McMichael.

Carlson should be f***ing benched for a game for that turnover. Play f***ing Matt Irwin for a game and show that's not acceptable from a leader... It would be one thing if it was just a one off but this is every game with him just not caring or giving a shit.

McVechkin

Jun 29, 2015
Free McMichael.

Carlson should be f***ing benched for a game for that turnover. Play f***ing Matt Irwin for a game and show that's not acceptable from a leader... It would be one thing if it was just a one off but this is every game with him just not caring or giving a shit.
PL has got to be close to giving him 7 sheltered minutes in a game here soon.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010

Two players with a positive offensive impact. Seems like something of a theme when they lose. Just...tumbleweeds offensively.

I think I’ve seen enough of Fehervary in the top 4. Lots of effort, no results.

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
really hope alexeyev gets healthy soon to see if he fares any better
Don’t have high hopes for him, he has not been overly impressive since his draft year. Probably another 7/8 damn like Johansen

My hopes lie with a McMichael/Wilson addition to the line up ASAP to hopefully jumpstart some 5v5 scoring

And man Fehervary and Jensen were bad tonight as a pair, yikes

PlushMinus

Nov 18, 2021
team just can't score. NJ game was an illusion
It wasn't an illusion. NJ goaltending was non-existent.

Same with the comeback win over the Kings. Quick fell apart in the 3rd and let in a bunch of soft goals.

Unless something changes this is the only way the Caps are going to win games. I can't (or don't want to) remember when they have looked this bad in the past.

PlushMinus

Nov 18, 2021
Nice to see AJF get a goal for the Jets though. Glad he's getting game time and hope he does well there.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I think I’ve seen enough of Fehervary in the top 4. Lots of effort, no results.
A trade seems like the only way out of that pickle. Otherwise sentiment likely keeps him there way beyond any underlying support for it. At least they broke up 42/74. Parking Fehervary so that AA or Irwin get a shot seems remote until he very clearly costs them a few games. The lack of development there and elsewhere makes you wonder what they're doing exactly...just kind of showing up and doing it all over again. Not enough presence and poise steering the ship. They're so obsessed with defensive structure that so much gets glossed over fundamentally.

I know they were coming off of a win but the lines should have been tweaked given the style needed in more of a checking affair. Ovechkin with...Strome & Sheary? Mantha with...Eller & Protas? These are not viable lines to keep intact. They don't come close to spreading out what they have to offer nor have they established chemistry. Bundling up all that size (Eller/Mantha/Protas) is a waste. There's not enough puck protection in the top six otherwise to get away with loading up like that in a game where they needed a stronger forecheck. In general I think they're sort of botching Mantha and under the circumstances there's little excuse for it. He's an enigma but surely there's far more there if given better linemates? Their general approach with possession lacks such poise and execution that when pushed in these stretch sort of games it's hard to rely so heavily on chance.

Last edited:
Reactions: twabby

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
A trade seems like the only way out of that pickle. Otherwise sentiment likely keeps him there way beyond any underlying support for it. At least they broke up 42/74. Parking Fehervary so that AA or Irwin get a shot seems remote until he very clearly costs them a few games. The lack of development there and elsewhere makes you wonder what they're doing exactly...just kind of showing up and doing it all over again. Not enough presence and poise steering the ship. They're so obsessed with defensive structure that so much gets glossed over fundamentally.

I know they were coming off of a win but the lines should have been tweaked given the style needed in more of a checking affair. Ovechkin with...Strome & Sheary? Mantha with...Eller & Protas? These are not viable lines to keep intact. They don't come close to spreading out what they have to offer nor have they established chemistry. Bundling up all that size (Eller/Mantha/Protas) is a waste. There's not enough puck protection in the top six otherwise to get away with loading up like that in a game where they needed a stronger forecheck. In general I think they're sort of botching Mantha and under the circumstances there's little excuse for it. He's an enigma but surely there's far more there if given better linemates? Their general approach with possession lacks such poise and execution that when pushed in these stretch sort of games it's hard to rely so heavily on chance.

I’d like to see TVR in the top 4 alongside Carlson. Off-side and all, but he did well last year in that role albeit on the third pair. Can’t hurt to try right? 9-3 was the pair that worked and was their 5v5 anchor and they have to move back to that IMO. Put Fehervary on the third pair for now, even if it’s on his off-side as well. He hasn’t done well alongside Carlson and he hasn’t done well alongside Jensen.

Completely agree with your words on the lines and Mantha. He shares some of the blame but I can’t believe he hasn’t been tried on the top line for an extended period. Why have 8-92-39 only been given 7 minutes total since Mantha’s arrival while 8-92-73 has been given 200+ minutes? Sheary is a nice spark plug but it’s not a sustainable top line solution. Heck Garnet Hathaway has almost 60 minutes alongside 8-92. Kind of bonkers. It’s weird because as a guy who is a decent skater, solid defensively, and good possessing the puck Mantha seems like the perfect fit and complement on the top line but he’s never been given that opportunity.

Reactions: PlushMinus

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
Stop force-plugging old hasbeens in the lineup and play younger and faster guys!!!

And trade Fehervary. The sooner the better! We might have to make a new deal for him if he keeps up playing semi-ok. Rather see Irwin playing semi-ok. He atleast has experience and could make our defence better.

Laviolette sucks. We need a coach with fresh ideas and cool approaches. I heard Boudreau might be avaivable soon. Or some other 70 year old who just got fired from his previous gig.

Carlson sucks. Should trade him for some other guy who is avaivable because that guys team doesnt want him. But that guy cant be any worse atleast.

Goalies still let some goals in. I thought that was supposed to get fixed with the new guys. Another season with goalies. Blah.

We should have lost the other games too unless we get 15 free goals from our opponents. We only score goals that shouldnt count because they are easy. 15 of them easy goals. Against a good team we score ZERO easy goals.

The team has never looked so bad. Although i dont remember anything that happened last year or the year before that. But surely it couldnt have been this bad. I think.

We lost a close game against a hot team. Get over it.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I don’t get the Fehervary hate. He’s 23 years old and did a pretty good job in his rookie year. It’s common for young defensemen to struggle in their 2nd year when their role/responsibilities increase.

Why should we trade him? We complain all day long about how old the team is, yet we should be trading a 23 year old D with good mobility and good physicality?

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Free McMichael.

Why should Carlson be benched for Kuznetsov's f*** up?

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
I don’t get the Fehervary hate. He’s 23 years old and did a pretty good job in his rookie year. It’s common for young defensemen to struggle in their 2nd year when their role/responsibilities increase.

Why should we trade him? We complain all day long about how old the team is, yet we should be trading a 23 year old D with good mobility and good physicality?
I don't know about trading him, but he was plugged into the top 4 from the beginning of last year. He's just not as good as some claim to be. He plays a lot of minutes, but he's mostly just chasing guys around his own zone. I just think expectations should be lowered and he should be more of a bottom pair dman until he shows he's more than that.

I worry that this reputation he has as an excellent defender has not been earned and will just lead to him being a highly paid top 4 defender for us for many years to come when he's just...average/below average at best?

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I don't know about trading him, but he was plugged into the top 4 from the beginning of last year. He's just not as good as some claim to be. He plays a lot of minutes, but he's mostly just chasing guys around his own zone. I just think expectations should be lowered and he should be more of a bottom pair dman until he shows he's more than that.

I worry that this reputation he has as an excellent defender has not been earned and will just lead to him being a highly paid top 4 defender for us for many years to come when he's just...average/below average at best?

I see that as a concern for tomorrow, he will be paid based on his progression at the end of the season.

If the asking price is too high next summer, then we can think about moving his RFA rights.

Reactions: Neil Racki
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad