GDT: Washington @ New Jersey | 11/26/22 | 7:00p ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

McVechkin

Jun 29, 2015
I was very confident they could have unloaded eller this last offseason without having to add. Maybe a mid to late round pick.. sell it as a cheapish, reliable, Stanley cup winning veteran, depth piece on a ufa, can still put up 15 goals and 30-40 points…. But man… they blew that that. No one wants that outside of maybe a team with a untimely injury near the TDL

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I was very confident they could have unloaded eller this last offseason without having to add. Maybe a mid to late round pick.. sell it as a cheapish, reliable, Stanley cup winning veteran, depth piece on a ufa, can still put up 15 goals and 30-40 points…. But man… they blew that that. No one wants that outside of maybe a team with a untimely injury near the TDL

There are lots of stupid GMs in the league, I wouldn't be surprised if we were able to unload Eller at no additional cost.

• Haha
Reactions: ClevelandCapsfan

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
They’ll still be able to unload Eller for a late pick especially if they retain, but the return was never really the important thing. The important thing is this season is very close to being a lost cause and they likely won’t even get McMichael a year of development time out of it. They won’t know what he’ll be next year when they have to make some big decisions in the offseason.

Really bad asset management.

Rayquaza64

McMichael>McDavid
May 30, 2019
Virginia
we dont know what we have in mcmichael, we barely know what we have in protas or if he has any more upside than a 4th liner, we lost leason and AJF for nothing, we have no idea what we have in either lujo or alexeyev. glad we’re giving lars eller marcus johansson matt irwin and erik gustaffson serious ice time though. really helping!

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
People are missing the point.

Gmbm loves eller. Got him signed him. Then gave him a long term deal.

He sucks. Thankful he was a big player/had Stanley cup winning goal - but he’s not good and has only prevented other players from developing past his abilities.

GMBM since the very first offseason he vacate gm has been pretty trash.

Reactions: troyerlaw

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006

It's okay that they know nothing because they don't know anything about their coach next season either or much else. They're just going to keep showing up and punching in until their card no longer works.

I get it. They're decidedly post-peak but...you've got to be at least trying to develop to some extent still at the NHL level. Acting as though there's no place for development in the NHL logically too often results in this uber-conservative, eroding generic crap. Not that they have an amazing pipeline or anything either but on whole it's about as mediocre as it gets and mostly it seems by design.

McVechkin

Jun 29, 2015
People are missing the point.

Gmbm loves eller. Got him signed him. Then gave him a long term deal.

He sucks. Thankful he was a big player/had Stanley cup winning goal - but he’s not good and has only prevented other players from developing past his abilities.

GMBM since the very first offseason he vacate gm has been pretty trash.
Yup. He he made some very good complimentary moves to add to an established competitive core. But has struck out on basically everything since then and had this team in a real bind.

Rayquaza64

McMichael>McDavid
May 30, 2019
Virginia

It's okay that they know nothing because they don't know anything about their coach next season either or much else. They're just going to keep showing up and punching in until their card no longer works.

I get it. They're decidedly post-peak but...you've got to be at least trying to develop to some extent still at the NHL level. Acting as though there's no place for development in the NHL logically too often results in this uber-conservative, eroding generic crap. Not that they have an amazing pipeline or anything either but on whole it's about as mediocre as it gets and mostly it seems by design.

there just cant be any logical reason to holding on to lars eller anymore man im crying

Reactions: Misery74

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
I get protas is a young guy but how does he get first line minutes? Just don't see it. Also agree with the Eller needs to go group. Mantha can take a hike too. Red wings fans were right. So much potential and it just never materializes

Rayquaza64

McMichael>McDavid
May 30, 2019
Virginia
To lowkey tank!
if tanking is their goal today’s eller deployment is an amazing formula

I get protas is a young guy but how does he get first line minutes? Just don't see it. Also agree with the Eller needs to go group. Mantha can take a hike too. Red wings fans were right. So much potential and it just never materializes
he got first line minutes maybe three times all year what lmao

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Right back in the bottom top in points percentage. So many of those bottom 10 teams stink. Maybe BUF or VAN figure it out but the rest aren't going anywhere. Absent a sell-off or winning the lottery it's hard to see them plummeting all the way to the bottom five given the competition. And, again, even if they manage to sell the vet UFAs and ideally pick up a handful of top 60 picks or something it'll be hard to expect anything firmer next year. Hard to expect if they sell off Orlov & Jensen that their foundation will be in any better shape. They'll just be another year older. NEW parts would be called for and justified but swapping out the supporting cast alone is probably too subtle.

Building around 74/92 is probably not going to cut it at this stage given everything else. Given their limitations and inconsistency. Given limitations elsewhere. It's hardly their fault exclusively but both stick out in ways that are problematic organizationally.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
1669518311454.jpeg

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
What’s the trade value for Mantha….

As the official Caps Mantha hater, I would say he's mid round pick. He's totally a floater and not coveted by a SC champion team. It's a shame really. To be that big and have skills to waste.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
Lottery pick dream is back baby.

Lottery pick dream is back baby.

Not so fast friend. The NHL wants the other Metro teams to get those picks. NYR are declining and Pittsburgh just playing well enough to hover to be in competition for Bedard.

Well that was 2+ hours I'd like back. Looks like our dominance of the Devils is at an end :confused:

Overall, I thought the Caps out played the Devils, however their speed transition game on a back to back was going to hurt the Caps. Unfortunately, VV made some great saves that he didn't do often here. As Hivemind says, "Fire Scott Murray"! I have to give VV some credit in this game and oh our defense sucks at playing defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad