OT: Washington Commanders: 2023 Offseason, the “Sell Dan, Sell” Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
There are 32 OC jobs in the world. There are seven (I think) vacancies right now: Indianapolis, Arizona, Washington, Philly, Carolina, Denver, and SF. Kyle calls the plays in SF so that's out. The Colts hired the Eagles OC who has said he will call plays. Philly is promoting their QB coach to OC. Payton will run the offense and call plays in Denver. Reich is said to be trying to bring someone from the Eagles to run the offense in Carolina but he may call plays as well.

So that leaves Arizona and Washington as your two vacancies. The Cardinals have Kyler but he tore his ACL late in the season, they're coming off a 4-13 season, they have a garbage roster, and they've outwardly said they want to trade Hopkins this offseason. They almost certainly will be a bottom five team again this year.

What other options are out there for him that check the boxes of being able to run an offense and call plays and have some talent to work with? And as much flack as Ron gets from fans, he's highly respected across the league as both a coach and a person.
Wow….you shined that turd (The Commodes) up real nice. ;)

Truth is, he doesn’t have to move this year. He can stay and cement the dynasty in KC.

Also, a lateral move to a place where they’re likely to be shitty…isn’t necessarily a feather in his cap. In fact, things could go completely in reverse almost ensuring he would never get a HC job.

I think the timing sucks for him this year….and to roll your chances on a Snyder-run organization and a lame-duck HC is extremely risky.

Last edited:

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
I suppose it depends on which mechanics are poor. Phillip Rivers had probably the worst throwing mechanics in football history but he is a borderline HOF QB. I believe the PFF guy said Richardson’s mechanics issues are with his feet.

Yes having poor mechanics as a QB when you get to the NFL level is a recipe for disaster. But if they can be fixed the potential for Richardson is high. That’s the gamble. And drafting any QB outside the top 10 is a gamble but for teams like DC who desperately need a QB gambling on a QB is worth it.
Except Rivers completed over 1000 passes in his college career and had a 72% completion percentage in his draft year. Was anyone enamored with the way he pushed the ball? Nope but there were no doubts he could play QB at a high level.

Richardson hasn’t done squat at the college level. Why does anyone think he’s going to figure it out at a higher level?

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Except Rivers completed over 1000 passes in his college career and had a 72% completion percentage in his draft year. Was anyone enamored with the way he pushed the ball? Nope but there were no doubts he could play QB at a high level.

Richardson hasn’t done squat at the college level. Why does anyone think he’s going to figure it out at a higher level?

Because he's a big boy who looks good doing what he does, which is the same kind of shit the 2 guys in the Super Bowl are known for? And he's very young?

At some point we have to acknowledge that unconventional "mechanics" and the "mobile QB" aren't always a negative.

I'm not saying this guy is a guaranteed stud but I liked the videos I watched on him a few weeks ago and think he could have a chance to play in the NFL, and maybe surprise some people.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
The guy wants to be a head coach. That's his ultimate goal. He has maxed out his utility as an OC in KC. He still doesn't call plays there and won't as long as he stays there. Not calling plays may be a big knock against him in his interviews and he probably would want to go to a place where he runs the entire offense and calls the plays.

Ron will turn over the keys to the proverbial castle to him on that side of the ball and there's some real talent for him to work with. This is not Mark Sanchez handing it off to the corpse of Adrian Peterson and throwing to Jamison Crowder, Mo Harris, and Josh Doctson.

If he does well he's likely looking at a head coaching gig next year, either in Washington under a new owner or somewhere else. If he stays in KC he'll always be under Reid's shadow and he may not advance. He'd be taking a calculated risk to get to where he wants to be which is what people in Corporate America do everyday. People leave stable jobs at big and successful companies all the time to start something on their own or join a fledging startup because the upside is worth it. No difference here.

We also don't know the dynamics of EB's relationships in KC. There have been rumblings for a number of years that he and Reid clash from time to time and that he doesn't feel respected since Reid gets the credit for calling the plays. Maybe he feels like his time there has run it's course and he wants to leave on his terms before the choice is taken from him.
I think this is overplayed a bit….plenty of HC’s don‘t play call, have OC/DC positions filled that do that.

Would it be a good thing if he did, no doubt….but it’s not a dealbreaker if he shows very well as a leader of men. I suspect he doesn’t interview well for whatever reason (as the HC).

compare and contrast….I know who I would hire….DeMeco Ryans vs EB….

Last edited:

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Wow….you shined that turd (The Commodes) up real nice. ;)

Truth is, he doesn’t have to move this year. He can stay and cement the dynasty in KC.

Also, a lateral move to a place where they’re likely to be shitty…isn’t necessarily a feather in his cap. In fact, things could go completely in reverse almost ensuring he would never get a HC job.

I think the timing sucks for him this year….and to roll your chances on a Snyder-run organization and a lame-duck HC is extremely risky.
I think being the OC on a team that has gone to 3 Super Bowls in 4 years, winning two, and not getting a HC gig pretty much says if he doesn’t call plays he’s not getting the job.

So if that is what he wants you are saying keep doing the same thing and hope for a different result?

He needs to call plays and the options on where he can do that, as has already been laid out, are fairly limited.

All things being equal would you pick the ‘skins over the chefs? Not a chance in hell but the level of responsibility would not be equal and if it went even reasonably well would position him much better to be a HC than another year doing the exact same thing in KC IMO.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I think being the OC on a team that has gone to 3 Super Bowls in 4 years, winning two, and not getting a HC gig pretty much says if he doesn’t call plays he’s not getting the job.

So if that is what he wants you are saying keep doing the same thing and hope for a different result?

He needs to call plays and the options on where he can do that, as has already been laid out, are fairly limited.

All things being equal would you pick the ‘skins over the chefs? Not a chance in hell but the level of responsibility would not be equal and if it went even reasonably well would position him much better to be a HC than another year doing the exact same thing in KC IMO.
Fair points, but THIS particular opportunity…laced with career cyanide…be very wary is all. If they’re willing to make him the highest paid OC in NFL history….I accept if I’m EB.

So pay me $4.5 one 1 year or pass lol…or I’ll take 2.5x2, fully guaranteed.

Reactions: Neil Racki

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
OH Come ON dude…..

Let’s see the ink dry before gloating…..eesh.

This place is a shit show and he knows it! Unless they offered him the largest non-HC salary in NFL history…..there are better options, including cementing his part of a Dynasty in KC.
I can gloat on the simple fact that it’s a real possibility.

I think people know the shitshow is over. We heard from Coach Payton on that earlier this week. Things are starting to churn. And all in a positive way.

Reactions: Ovechkins Wodka

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Because he's a big boy who looks good doing what he does, which is the same kind of shit the 2 guys in the Super Bowl are known for? And he's very young?

At some point we have to acknowledge that unconventional "mechanics" and the "mobile QB" aren't always a negative.

I'm not saying this guy is a guaranteed stud but I liked the videos I watched on him a few weeks ago and think he could have a chance to play in the NFL, and maybe surprise some people.
Mahomes and Hurts completed ~65% and 69% of their passes respectively in their draft years. Yes they were mobile QB’s but they had also proven they could complete passes to their teammates in college at an acceptable rate. So the question was could they continue to do that in the pros.

Richardson hasn’t shown much of anything in college when it comes to being able to do the most basic thing you ask of a QB.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Mahomes and Hurts completed ~65% and 69% of their passes respectively in their draft years. Yes they were mobile QB’s but they had also proven they could complete passes to their teammates in college at an acceptable rate. So the question was could they continue to do that in the pros.

Richardson hasn’t shown much of anything in college when it comes to being able to do the most basic thing you ask of a QB.

Then why is he going to be a 1st round pick?

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

I think people know the shitshow is over. We heard from Coach Payton on that earlier this week. Things are starting to churn. And all in a positive way.
It was always a possibility…..so….singular golf clap?

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida

Stop bein' all jinxy!

All I've heard recently is that there are only two bidders who both bid the minimum, don't have the money, and whose bids will likely go down. And the third guy everyone's speculating about, who the majority of the world thinks is a supervillain on a level that makes Snyder look like the Hamburglar by comparison, is showing no real signs of interest, a few signs of disinterest, and would prefer to own his hometown team that's almost definitely going up for sale long before anyone gets the stink off our beloved Commanders.

When I read that back I do not feel optimistic.

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
Stop bein' all jinxy!

All I've heard recently is that there are only two bidders who both bid the minimum, don't have the money, and whose bids will likely go down. And the third guy everyone's speculating about, who the majority of the world thinks is a supervillain on a level that makes Snyder look like the Hamburglar by comparison, is showing no real signs of interest, a few signs of disinterest, and would prefer to own his hometown team that's almost definitely going up for sale long before anyone gets the stink off our beloved Commanders.

Our franchise ... isnt really worth 7 billion.

WORST attendance in the league last year (lets be real, thats the real reason owners set the ultimatum)
Horrible delapidated stadium that has a lease running out
No new stadium in works
Facilities are small and outdated
Eroded fanbase

Do own some prime real estate in Nova

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
There are 32 OC jobs in the world. There are seven (I think) vacancies right now: Indianapolis, Arizona, Washington, Philly, Carolina, Denver, and SF. Kyle calls the plays in SF so that's out. The Colts hired the Eagles OC who has said he will call plays. Philly is promoting their QB coach to OC. Payton will run the offense and call plays in Denver. Reich is said to be trying to bring someone from the Eagles to run the offense in Carolina but he may call plays as well.

So that leaves Arizona and Washington as your two vacancies. The Cardinals have Kyler but he tore his ACL late in the season, they're coming off a 4-13 season, they have a garbage roster, and they've outwardly said they want to trade Hopkins this offseason. They almost certainly will be a bottom five team again this year.

What other options are out there for him that check the boxes of being able to run an offense and call plays and have some talent to work with? And as much flack as Ron gets from fans, he's highly respected across the league as both a coach and a person.
He’s also closely tied to Andy Reid. Rivera is. From Andy’s “coaching tree”.

It’s a natural fit, if the money is right (large “IF”), and the other side of this coin, is that IF he fails here, it’s easy to blame the Snyder disfunction.

There really is very little culpable downside to this for EB.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Then why is he going to be a 1st round pick?
Because teams swing and miss on dream athletes who haven’t actually performed all that well on the field all the time?

Are you saying that the mere fact someone is selected early means everyone who doesn’t like the player should shut the hell up? If we knew anything about the game we’d be in the game? Is that you George…? ;)

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
He’s also closely tied to Andy Reid. Rivera is. From Andy’s “coaching tree”.

It’s a natural fit, if the money is right (large “IF”), and the other side of this coin, is that IF he fails here, it’s easy to blame the Snyder disfunction.

There really is very little culpable downside to this for EB.
Well the downside is pretty significant, I think. There is a possibility that's certainly greater than 0% that the team and/or offense sucks, Rivera gets fired, he gets fired, and he's out on his ass with the narrative now being, "EB can't run an offense without Reid doing the real work and without the best QB in football throwing for him." That is realistic (and real and tangible) downside.

The question for EB is if it's worth the risk. Does he want to be a head coach no matter the risk or potential cost? Is he ok making good money but potentially having a ceiling on his career? Can he and does he want to stick it out at KC another one or two (or more) seasons until the right opportunity comes around?

Reactions: Jags and Neil Racki

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Oh stop. Admit you had this one pegged wrong, and off we go.

And for the record, I’m gaining one @AlexBrovechkin8 poster point. Which would bring me to two.

Can’t beat that w a stick, and it’s ok to be JEALOUS. LOL

:naughty::naughty:

:thumbu::thumbu:

:cf::cf:
If you go back and read my initial response….”nobody still playing is coming here“. no problem admitting I’m wrong if he chooses to sign here. Hope he took my advice and got paid a massive bag…..

Well the downside is pretty significant, I think. There is a possibility that's certainly greater than 0% that the team and/or offense sucks, Rivera gets fired, he gets fired, and he's out on his ass with the narrative now being, "EB can't run an offense without Reid doing the real work and without the best QB in football throwing for him." That is realistic (and real and tangible) downside.

The question for EB is if it's worth the risk. Does he want to be a head coach no matter the risk or potential cost? Is he ok making good money but potentially having a ceiling on his career? Can he and does he want to stick it out at KC another one or two (or more) seasons until the right opportunity comes around?
This 100%….

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Because teams swing and miss on dream athletes who haven’t actually performed all that well on the field all the time?

Are you saying that the mere fact someone is selected early means everyone who doesn’t like the player should shut the hell up? If we knew anything about the game we’d be in the game? Is that you George…? ;)

I never said any of that.

There are a lot of players who are flashy physical specimens but don't end up going in the first round, or even being drafted at all.

The pros aren't always right but there's a reason they're pros. And they see some potential in this guy. They could be wrong or they could be right. Maybe he's the next Tebow and a team blows a pick. But maybe he's the next Newton or whoever.

Drafting is never a sure thing. You draft based on upside or baseline. Some teams are more risk averse than others.

I sense you just don't like the guy and wouldn't take the risk. That's fine. But to say he hasn't done a single thing to make him worth his draft position is a bit over the top.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Stop bein' all jinxy!

Exactly….this is far from over…..imagine yourself going to some shaky ass company when you are at the pinnacle with another fantastic one, just not THE guy…..YET. BIG risk.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002

I think that’s bunk. Recency bias isn’t as big a thing in pro sports as it is on these message boards.

Andy Reid is already overtly lobbying for him. That would happen again. Losing with the Skins won’t exactly be a “new thing” bc Bienemy. Fat chance.

Name an Open OC job that has the types of weapons the Skins do. Even KC doesn’t. Except of course QB.

He could be amazing for Howell or any other QB they bring. I don’t think it’s coincidental that Mahomes trajectory has been specifically tied to Bienemy’s time there.

There would no stink on the man. Not from the place that produces and develops stink at unheard of before levels.

No Way.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Our franchise ... isnt really worth 7 billion.

WORST attendance in the league last year (lets be real, thats the real reason owners set the ultimatum)
Horrible delapidated stadium that has a lease running out
No new stadium in works
Facilities are small and outdated
Eroded fanbase

Do own some prime real estate in Nova
It’s probably a guaranteed an easy 30%+ return while getting to play in one of the most exclusive billionaire’s clubs in the world for the next 20 years….and all the things you list are reversible. so yeah maybe a little overpriced today…..

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
I never said any of that.

There are a lot of players who are flashy physical specimens but don't end up going in the first round, or even being drafted at all.

The pros aren't always right but there's a reason they're pros. And they see some potential in this guy. They could be wrong or they could be right. Maybe he's the next Tebow and a team blows a pick. But maybe he's the next Newton or whoever.

Drafting is never a sure thing. You draft based on upside or baseline. Some teams are more risk averse than others.

I sense you just don't like the guy and wouldn't take the risk. That's fine. But to say he hasn't done a single thing to make him worth his draft position is a bit over the top.
I don’t like the player obviously. Mostly because in his 3rd year in college, in his only year as a starter, he completed 53.8% of his passes. That’s not in any way good.

If someone thinks he’s going to be the next Newton, who by the way completed 66.1% of his passes in his draft year, then have at it. I just hope to God it isn’t my team thinking that’s going to happen and making that pick.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I’m surprised some other teams didn’t want to wait to speak to EB before filling their vacancies. Maybe he’s only coveted by poverty franchises now?

Scary thought….

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Stop bein' all jinxy!

They smell a cornered rat.

No need to throw said rat a large piece of cheese. Just corner it and wait out the rat. Enough other factors (pressures from debt collectors, corporate sponsors, other NFL owners, new facts — hello Mary Jo White — etc etc will wither the rat away.

Give the rat a few nibbles and allow it to sneak out thru a hole in the wall. Like all rats do.

I’m surprised some other teams didn’t want to wait to speak to EB before filling their vacancies. Maybe he’s only coveted by poverty franchises now?

Scary thought….
Yes. This does concern me. Perhaps no one wanted to pay his “ok I will leave KC” asking price.

I dunno.

Regardless, he’d be far better than Son of Norv

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad