OT: Washington Commanders: 2023 Offseason, the “Sell Dan, Sell” Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

In 5 years we’ll all be at Amazon stadium ordering beer and hot dogs at our seat having them flown over and dropped off by a drone. Can’t wait
Drone delivery in “The Hub” Amazon Stadium!! Can’t wait! Lol….

latest McShay mock….

Devon Witherspoon, CB, Illinois

A terrific cover corner, Witherspoon allowed just 3.3 yards per attempt thrown his direction this season, second best in the nation, and he picked off three passes. Washington's pass defense improved a bit in 2022, but it still needs a dominant playmaker on the outside opposite Kendall Fuller. And Witherspoon's ball skills would help create some takeaways after the Commanders finished 28th with nine interceptions.

Reactions: max21

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I’ve read up about the draft, quite a bit — and there are provably 13-15 guys I’d be *thrilled* that they took at #16. I discounted all DL’s, all RB’s, and all WR’s.

I could list them, but I think ppl can check it out.

Skins will get someone really good, and can maybe trade back 5-10 slots and still get a few of “their guys”, and collect more assets.

Last edited:

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
I’ve read up about the draft, quite a bit — and there are provably 13-15 guys I’d be *thrilled* that they took at #16. I discounted all DL’s, all RB’s, and all WR’s.

I could list them, but I think ppl can check it out.

Skins will get someone really good, and can maybe trade back 5-10 slots and still get a few of “their guys”, and collect more assets.

Any of them a QB? Or are we counting on Sam "60 minutes of experience" Howell to be our guy?

Reactions: Neil Racki

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009

He looks like a bigger Lamar Jackson or a Cam Newton clone. If Greg Roman is hired I’d expect DC to make a move for him if they don’t think he will fall to 16.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Any of them a QB? Or are we counting on Sam "60 minutes of experience" Howell to be our guy?
There are probably 4 1st round QB’s. Young, Stroud, Levis, and Richardson. Only Richardson *might* be avail at 16. However, of not, that pushes all the DB’s, OL’s, and LB’s back to us.

I honestly think top CB is the play. OL’s are deep in this class, so 2nd, 3rd etc could get a starter.

That said, if one of the QB’s can get taken around 16, they need to seriously think about it.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
1676507470580.gif

Reactions: Neil Racki

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002

He looks like a bigger Lamar Jackson or a Cam Newton clone. If Greg Roman is hired I’d expect DC to make a move for him if they don’t think he will fall to 16.

Except Jackson proved he could do the job in college and Richardson hasn’t come close. Less than 400 attempts in his career with less than 55% completion percentage, in college. And this year, basically his only year as a starter he was under 54%.

Sure he had all the physical tools but being able to read defenses and complete passes is a pretty important skill and he hasn’t come close to showing he can do that.

This team has way too many holes to roll the dice on that guy IMO.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Except Jackson proved he could do the job in college and Richardson hasn’t come close. Less than 400 attempts in his career with less than 55% completion percentage, in college. And this year, basically his only year as a starter he was under 54%.

Sure he had all the physical tools but being able to read defenses and complete passes is a pretty important skill and he hasn’t come close to showing he can do that.

This team has way too many holes to roll the dice on that guy IMO.
Sheehan had a PFF guy on last week who said Richardson can read defenses. Richardson has poor mechanics which makes him inaccurate at times. Also, his WR Corp wasn’t great. A lot of drops. The PFF guy says if whoever drafts him can fix his mechanics Richardson could be pretty good. Well worth the 16th pick or higher if they can trade up.

Picking outside the top 10 you have to roll the dice on QBs. Richardson would fall in that category. Or sit tight, draft for need and go forward with Howell and a Vet.

I’d rather take a swing with Richardson, Howell and a Vet. Then franchise Payne and trade him for picks. Late first or a 2nd and change. Then get O-line and defensive depth.

Last edited:

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Sheehan had a PFF guy on last week who said Richardson can read defenses. Richardson has poor mechanics which makes him inaccurate at times. Also, his WR Corp wasn’t great. A lot of drops. The PFF guy says if whoever drafts him can fix his mechanics Richardson could be pretty good. Well worth the 16th pick or higher if they can trade up.

Picking outside the top 10 you have to roll the dice on QBs. Richardson would fall in that category. Or sit tight, draft for need and go forward with Howell and a Vet.

I’d rather take a swing with Richardson, Howell and a Vet. Then franchise Payne and trade him for picks. Late first or a 2nd and change. Then get O-line and defensive depth.
I'm still leery on fixing 'poor mechanics'. Kinda not sure why this is not addressed before getting drafted.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
I'm still leery on fixing 'poor mechanics'. Kinda not sure why this is not addressed before getting drafted.
Yeah presumably the Florida coaching staff has been trying to fix his poor mechanics for a few years now. But the ‘skins’ staff is going to get it done…

Is there a QB in modern history who has completed less than 54% of his passes in his draft year and went on to be a solid NFL quarterback? I honestly don’t know but I have serious doubts.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Yeah presumably the Florida coaching staff has been trying to fix his poor mechanics for a few years now. But the ‘skins’ staff is going to get it done…

Is there a QB in modern history who has completed less than 54% of his passes in his draft year and went on to be a solid NFL quarterback? I honestly don’t know but I have serious doubts.
I suppose it depends on which mechanics are poor. Phillip Rivers had probably the worst throwing mechanics in football history but he is a borderline HOF QB. I believe the PFF guy said Richardson’s mechanics issues are with his feet.

Yes having poor mechanics as a QB when you get to the NFL level is a recipe for disaster. But if they can be fixed the potential for Richardson is high. That’s the gamble. And drafting any QB outside the top 10 is a gamble but for teams like DC who desperately need a QB gambling on a QB is worth it.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Richardson is going top five, maybe number one. He’s a physical freak and he’s going to cause some coach and GM to swoon at the combine. Someone is going to watch him and see a guy who could be a combination of Lamar Jackson and Josh Allen.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Will be very impressed if Riverboat can actually pull this off.

Ha! Maybe my pointing this out a few weeks ago wasn’t me “being on drugs” or a fairy tale.

Not meant at you, ABro— just a certain someone else whose name I won’t mention, but his nickname is……LOL. Nah.

This may be my 2nd point awarded. If so, watch out board, I will be an egotistical terror!!!!

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Will be very impressed if Riverboat can actually pull this off.

I have a hard time imagining what would possess EB to leave the Chiefs and joint this circus. Maybe its a pure cash play? Maybe its some internal desire to prove he is so good that he can overcome all the drama and weakness surrounding this whole franchise. Maybe he thinks this is his best path to a HC opportunity.

Whatever it is, I see him moving from KC to DC and a poor decision for him and that makes me question everything about it.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Ha! Maybe my pointing this out a few weeks ago wasn’t me “being on drugs” or a fairy tale.

Not meant at you, ABro— just a certain someone else whose name I won’t mention, but his nickname is……LOL. Nah.

This may be my 2nd point awarded. If so, watch out board, I will be an egotistical terror!!!!
OH Come ON dude…..

Let’s see the ink dry before gloating…..eesh.

This place is a shit show and he knows it! Unless they offered him the largest non-HC salary in NFL history…..there are better options, including cementing his part of a Dynasty in KC.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I have a hard time imagining what would possess EB to leave the Chiefs and joint this circus. Maybe its a pure cash play? Maybe its some internal desire to prove he is so good that he can overcome all the drama and weakness surrounding this whole franchise. Maybe he thinks this is his best path to a HC opportunity.

Whatever it is, I see him moving from KC to DC and a poor decision for him and that makes me question everything about it.
I cannot imagine Andy Reid, EB‘s agent, friends, family, etc……saying “yeah Snyder and DC in 2023 is THE play for your career”…….not for Ron “we can be eliminated?!” Rivera…..

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
I cannot imagine Andy Reid, EB‘s agent, friends, family, etc……saying “yeah Snyder and DC in 2023 is THE play for your career”…….not for Ron “we can be eliminated?!” Rivera…..

Best guess is, EB is using a potential offer from Ron to establish his value with KC, who can still re-sign him if they want. Otherwise its literally going from the best possible situation to the worst possible situation. No amount of money would make sense to do that.

Reactions: usiel

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions

The guy wants to be a head coach. That's his ultimate goal. He has maxed out his utility as an OC in KC. He still doesn't call plays there and won't as long as he stays there. Not calling plays may be a big knock against him in his interviews and he probably would want to go to a place where he runs the entire offense and calls the plays.

Ron will turn over the keys to the proverbial castle to him on that side of the ball and there's some real talent for him to work with. This is not Mark Sanchez handing it off to the corpse of Adrian Peterson and throwing to Jamison Crowder, Mo Harris, and Josh Doctson.

If he does well he's likely looking at a head coaching gig next year, either in Washington under a new owner or somewhere else. If he stays in KC he'll always be under Reid's shadow and he may not advance. He'd be taking a calculated risk to get to where he wants to be which is what people in Corporate America do everyday. People leave stable jobs at big and successful companies all the time to start something on their own or join a fledging startup because the upside is worth it. No difference here.

We also don't know the dynamics of EB's relationships in KC. There have been rumblings for a number of years that he and Reid clash from time to time and that he doesn't feel respected since Reid gets the credit for calling the plays. Maybe he feels like his time there has run it's course and he wants to leave on his terms before the choice is taken from him.

Reactions: kicksavedave

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
There are 32 OC jobs in the world. There are seven (I think) vacancies right now: Indianapolis, Arizona, Washington, Philly, Carolina, Denver, and SF. Kyle calls the plays in SF so that's out. The Colts hired the Eagles OC who has said he will call plays. Philly is promoting their QB coach to OC. Payton will run the offense and call plays in Denver. Reich is said to be trying to bring someone from the Eagles to run the offense in Carolina but he may call plays as well.

So that leaves Arizona and Washington as your two vacancies. The Cardinals have Kyler but he tore his ACL late in the season, they're coming off a 4-13 season, they have a garbage roster, and they've outwardly said they want to trade Hopkins this offseason. They almost certainly will be a bottom five team again this year.

What other options are out there for him that check the boxes of being able to run an offense and call plays and have some talent to work with? And as much flack as Ron gets from fans, he's highly respected across the league as both a coach and a person.

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
There are 32 OC jobs in the world. There are seven (I think) vacancies right now: Indianapolis, Arizona, Washington, Philly, Carolina, Denver, and SF. Kyle calls the plays in SF so that's out. The Colts hired the Eagles OC who has said he will call plays. Philly is promoting their QB coach to OC. Payton will run the offense and call plays in Denver. Reich is said to be trying to bring someone from the Eagles to run the offense in Carolina but he may call plays as well.

So that leaves Arizona and Washington as your two vacancies. The Cardinals have Kyler but he tore his ACL late in the season, they're coming off a 4-13 season, they have a garbage roster, and they've outwardly said they want to trade Hopkins this offseason. They almost certainly will be a bottom five team again this year.

What other options are out there for him that check the boxes of being able to run an offense and call plays and have some talent to work with? And as much flack as Ron gets from fans, he's highly respected across the league as both a coach and a person.

You make an excellent point and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter. /Homer J Simpson

• Haha
Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida

Great post. I agree that it's not entirely unlikely that he signs here. My take on it has more to do with what happens if we DO sign him. The ownership situation still feels very Snydery to me, so I think it's way more likely that we get our stink on him than his offensive genius rubs off on us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad