Confirmed with Link: Washington claims Dmitrij Jaskin off waivers

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Holy shit. How did Jaskin make all the way to the Caps?

He is slow in a fast mans game but he has some decent pieces to his game.

In the waiver thread I wanted to say I wish the Caps could snatch him up, but it never even entered my mind he would be around for the Caps.

Last edited:
Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Worth a shot, particularly with Wilson likely out for a while. He's not known for his speed and isn't all that young at 25 but there's still maybe some upside here. They could use a bigger body bottom six winger. He led the Blues in hits and was 18th league-wide despite playing just 12:27 per.

Longer-term, though, curious whether this shifts Stephenson back to center. Dowd has seemed to come on, though. If nothing else it may keep the pressure on Burakovsky.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
worth a shot I guess. With St.Louis ties I kept waiting for him to turn a corner, and he never really did. 13th forward or Hershey is where I expect him to end up.

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
Good get for you guys. I always liked Jaskin, we just have too many prospects in the system. Hopefully he will get more playing time.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
He has a 1.1 mill cap hit? Well then he isn't here to sit in the box and eat nachos

He probably shouldn't if the other options are Walker/Megna/Dowd.

I have no idea how many Russians are in the NHL but the Caps have to have like a quarter of them now, right? ;)

p.s. I realize he is Russian and Czech.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Jaskin is such a strange case. Seems as there are many tools to succeed but the toolbox is nowhere to be found. Maybe a new start will help him.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
A hitter?

I like it. Something besides OV PPGs are going to have to entertain me what with Wilson in federal prison for the next month.

No way we trade Bowey IMHO. We need an emergency/long term RHD backup for the PP within the system. At least until Ovi's turret is out of ammo.

Maybe Hobbs is ready to pinch hit.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Like the claim. Really helps supplement the 4th line defensively. Solid addition that lost out in the numbers game in St. Louis with all the young players they have graduating to the NHL plus the Patrick Maroon STL or bust addition. I would have rather invested at 4C than 4LW, but I'm not going to complain too much. Curious if they could even get some PK utility out of him.

Will be interesting to see how it plays out once the team is closer to full strength, as his cap hit will complicate matters.

Also another WSH/STL connection.

With that cap hit, I think it means Boyd or Kempny must go to LTIR
Izzy said Boyd to LTIR likely.

Portable Mink

Sep 12, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
Hope they give Jaskin a shot on the top line. Keep the other lines in tact and try it.

He can play an all round game and I believe he never got a good look as a scoring option.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Blues fan here. The reason Jaskin had to be placed on waivers is because we could not put Sundqvist in the minors while injured. So you guys injuried Sundqvist and then because Wilson is facing a suspension, take Jaskin from us. Highway robbery IMO.
This just isn't true. Sundqvist doesn't take up a roster spot while on Injured Reserve, and doesn't occupy any cap hit while on Long Term Injured Reserve. As far as I can tell this is just a rumor from HFBlues and isn't even substantiated from any beat writers.

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
This just isn't true. Sundqvist doesn't take up a roster spot while on Injured Reserve, and doesn't occupy any cap hit while on Long Term Injured Reserve. As far as I can tell this is just a rumor from HFBlues and isn't even substantiated from any beat writers.

You could also say that even if salary was the reason, Bortuzzo's suspension is the reason they have to keep 8 defensemen. In which case, Bortuzzo's suspension and not Sundqvist's injury is the reason they had to waive Jaskin

Reactions: Hivemind

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Even if they blame it on the extra $700K in salary of Sundqvist being on IR instead of LTIR, that $700K didn't buy them enough cap space to hold onto Jaskin ($1.1M). They would have had to subtract Bortuzzo ($1.15M) or Jerabek ($1M) to have enough cap space to keep Jaskin.

Reactions: HunterSThompson

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Cry me a f***ing river. Blues win the cup? Don't hold your breath.

We have to make provisions to have hitters in the lineup what with Wilson surely bound to lead the league this year in games suspended. Hitting was a key part of scoring goals and winning the cup. We neeeeed Jaskin. It's all because of Bortuzzo.

I am glad to see BMac still puts a premium on having some thump in the lineup despite the way the game is becoming. The rest of the leagues GMs are clearly scared since he made it past 31 teams. "We are afraid to go with you, Tom - well not me" - GMBM.

We are not far away from lce Stravaganza in body armor, folks. Get yer butt in gear!

e154582b-b1eb-4650-bf2a-2c93d5a41489_screenshot.jpg

Last edited:

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
Cry me a ****ing river. Blues win the cup? Don't hold your breath.

We have to make provisions to have hitters in the lineup what with Wilson surely bound to lead the league this year in games suspended. Hitting was a key part of scoring goals and winning the cup. We neeeeed Jaskin.

I am glad to see BMac still puts a premium on having some thump in the lineup despite the way the game is becoming.

We are not far away from lce Stravaganza in body armor, folks. Get yer butt in gear!

top line jaskin incoming

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad