Confirmed with Link: Washington claims Dmitrij Jaskin off waivers

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
Jaskin should probably be a very good fit with you guys. Solid bottom six guy, but probably best on the 4th line. We just have too much depth and are close to the cap. The Sundqvist/Wilson thing had nothing to do with this imo lol.

Reactions: Sam Spade

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
You could also say that even if salary was the reason, Bortuzzo's suspension is the reason they have to keep 8 defensemen. In which case, Bortuzzo's suspension and not Sundqvist's injury is the reason they had to waive Jaskin
Isn't Bortuzzos suspension done?

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
So if the deadline to make final decisions is 5PM today, it kind of seems like siegs will be the one going down as the only option that wouldn't have had to go on waivers today.

Edit: Siegenthaler was sent down to Hershey

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
Jaskin seems like a good get for free, but i would have wanted to give the Willy-window for some guys from our own system instead.?

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
Jaskin seems like a good get for free, but i would have wanted to give the Willy-window for some guys from our own system instead.?
There is definitely some value in what you have said, but I think its more about Jaskin being a solid guy to scratch and have for DSP weight insurance once Willy does come back. Plus I don't know how much they like any of the young guys on the PK which is needed while Willy is out.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
There is definitely some value in what you have said, but I think its more about Jaskin being a solid guy to scratch and have for DSP weight insurance once Willy does come back. Plus I don't know how much they like any of the young guys on the PK which is needed while Willy is out.
Jaskin didn't kill penalties for St Louis

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
I think this puts the pressure more so on DSP given the conditioning issues. I’m sure they weren’t happy about him coming in out of shape regardless of how short of a summer it was. Everyone else came in to camp fine. Trading DSP right now would be a PR nightmare given it was publicly stated that he took less money to stay in DC

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Kuzy has bird bones. The more I think about it, I don't want him on the PK blocking shots.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
It would be beyond strange for him to be a bad PKer with his skillset. Maybe they had better options and never got around to using him there.
He's not a particularly good skater. His strength along the boards and ability to cycle the puck wouldn't be heavily utilized on the PK.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
He's not a particularly good skater. His strength along the boards and ability to cycle the puck wouldn't be heavily utilized on the PK.

Wilson/Beagle/Backstrom/Oshie are hardly great skaters either. He could come in handy squeezing the puck out during scrambles along the boards or cycling whenever we manage to get it down the ice as Eller (arguably our only good PK skater)/Beagle/Wilson had. I'd be surprised if he wasn't a decent shotblocker as well, and his defensive acumen means he probably knows how to clear reliably without being too fancy.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Wilson/Beagle/Backstrom/Oshie are hardly great skaters either. He could come in handy squeezing the puck out during scrambles along the boards or cycling whenever we manage to get it down the ice as Eller (arguably our only good PK skater)/Beagle/Wilson had. I'd be surprised if he wasn't a decent shotblocker as well, and his defensive acumen means he probably knows how to clear reliably without being too fancy.

Wilson isn't a good skater? Really? Really?
Beagle's PK value was from his ability to win faceoffs. Jaskin doesn't take faceoffs (he only won 2 of the 13 he took last year). Beagle is also a better skater than you're giving him credit for.
Backstrom and Oshie are depth PKers.

Can Jaskin be put into the PK depth chart? Possibly, I already speculated as much in my first post in this thread. But his skillset isn't ideal for killing penalties. Board battles, forechecking, and puck cycling are much more rare while killing penalties than at even strength.

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
'Wilson is a bad skater' is a 4 year-old opinion. Absolutely frigid take.

The scouting report that Jaskin is great along the boards and great at protecting the puck makes me wonder if he could potentially be a slower, wing version of Eller. Remember that Eller was pretty polarizing among Montreal fans, similar to how Jaskin has been perceived based off of what I've read over time on this site.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Great pickup for you guys. Perfect timing, too...without Wilson out there wouldn't really be a spot for Jaskin in your lineup. Jaskin is useless on a traditional 4th line...he's a possession beast and needs skilled linemates or at least guys able to do some proper cycling. Will slot in right in for Wilson I'd like to think. Jaskin is basically a slower but more skilled one way version of Wilson...so why not. Your playing style should be better suited for him, too. Wasn't a good fit in St.Louis and I think Yeo never liked him.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
'Wilson is a bad skater' is a 4 year-old opinion. Absolutely frigid take.

The scouting report that Jaskin is great along the boards and great at protecting the puck makes me wonder if he could potentially be a slower, wing version of Eller. Remember that Eller was pretty polarizing among Montreal fans, similar to how Jaskin has been perceived based off of what I've read over time on this site.
More Joel Ward than Lars Eller.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad