Series Discussion: Washington Capitals vs Pittsburgh Penguins

Who wins?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
In his 30 minutes of TOI, I have yet to see something that says Gersich is not ready. He is not getting worked over physically and knocking on wood seems to be holding his own. Getting a sweater over the more AHL seasoned guys may confirm he is ready.

I saw him the first forward back for a D moving up at center - showed defensive awareness. He hit Maata to start the game - showed physical play. , And then had a breakaway in his 2nd playoff shift - using his speed. Not bad. Not bad at all.

Adrenaline, maybe, but still he more than met my expectations for his first game.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
The grinders only get credit when they get goals. They are the unsung hero's of many games.

I more credit coaching for that awesome scoring chance, culminating in Shane with the puck at speed. I assume that was a set play.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland

Short leash, what if it is 3-0 when they decide to switch the lines? Go big or go home, just put Gersich on line one and see what happens.

Reactions: GoCaps2004

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I was gonna get a 400 section seat to the game tonight based on the A.M skate lines, good news is I get to save $145.

Also if anyone is going:

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
I was gonna get a 400 section seat to the game tonight based on the A.M skate lines, good news is I get to save $145.

Also if anyone is going:

and you could also miss out on tickets when trotz as he publically stated will have a short leash on the lines which could be one shift

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
I think the
Ovi-Kuzya-DSP line is just for twitter and the Pens, and we will see something different during the game

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
In his 30 minutes of TOI, I have yet to see something that says Gersich is not ready. He is not getting worked over physically and knocking on wood seems to be holding his own. Getting a sweater over the more AHL seasoned guys may confirm he is ready.

I saw him the first forward back for a D moving up at center - showed defensive awareness. He hit Maata to start the game - showed physical play. , And then had a breakaway in his 2nd playoff shift - using his speed. Not bad. Not bad at all.

Adrenaline, maybe, but still he more than met my expectations for his first game.

I’d say watch him a lot closer then. ;)

Besides.....barely ready and ready to the extent he can be impactful are wildly different.

He just needs strength and experience IMO, but he appears to have the skillset and IQ to be impactful and that’s the exciting part with him as a fringe roster guy right now.

In no way do I want to see him forced to cover the top-2 Pens lines defensively with any regularity.

Last edited:

HandsomeTom43

May 2, 2018
Trotz is so stupid sometimes.

EDIT: It just pisses me off he would even waste time going with the same lines that scored 0 ES goals last game. f*** him.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
Trotz is so stupid sometimes.

EDIT: It just pisses me off he would even waste time going with the same lines that scored 0 ES goals last game. **** him.

Unless he did it purposely to give the Pens some hope. I can hear them now in the locker room. "Hey boys they are playing that $&*ty line again where Ovechkin had 0 shots. With us getting Wilson suspended and now this, we got this in the bag! Thanks Super boss Mario!"

All joking aside, he probably will play the game with that line.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
at least they would get offense? its pretty well known that its harder to score a goal than it is to give one up with rookie like turnovers. So, at least they'll get offense means you are starting from behind and trying to catch up

Tell me how dsp is better defensively than Vrana other than being useless on offense

brutalbeast

May 3, 2018
Unless he did it purposely to give the Pens some hope. I can hear them now in the locker room. "Hey boys they are playing that $&*ty line again where Ovechkin had 0 shots. With us getting Wilson suspended and now this, we got this in the bag! Thanks Super boss Mario!"

All joking aside, he probably will play the game with that line.
forgetting crosby had 0 shots last game also

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Tell me how dsp is better defensively than Vrana other than being useless on offense
DSP is way better defensively. He is a lot better on the boards. DSP just doesn't have the skill to be a first line guy. He is a 4th liner.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
DSP is way better defensively. He is a lot better on the boards. DSP just doesn't have the skill to be a first line guy. He is a 4th liner.

You're confusing not participating in offense with being good at defense. Giving up 70% of the ice because you can't transition the puck effectively and being left to make le epic defensive plays in your own zone does not translate to good overall defense.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
DSP looks like he's doing a lot because he's going at top speed all the time and is a "try hard". Trotz LOVES guys like that, but he's a plug. Players like him are dime a dozen in the NHL, that's how we got him.

That said sometimes its JAGs like that who come up with the biggest plays in the postseason.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
You're confusing not participating in offense with being good at defense. Giving up 70% of the ice because you can't transition the puck effectively and being left to make le epic defensive plays in your own zone does not translate to good overall defense.
I'm not confusing anything. DSP is average or slightly above average defensively. Which is a lot better than Vrana. Vrana is probably the worst defensive forward in the roster. You do realize we are talking defensive hockey? We aren't talking about offense or transition but for some reason you brought it up.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
I'm not confusing anything. DSP is average or slightly above average defensively. Which is a lot better than Vrana. Vrana is probably the worst defensive forward in the roster. You do realize we are talking defensive hockey? We aren't talking about offense or transition but for some reason you brought it up.

Yeah his 2 assists were just horrible defensively, nothing like DSP's clutch defensive penalty

Reactions: Acallabeth
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad