Series Discussion: Washington Capitals vs Pittsburgh Penguins

Who wins?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
The Pens-Cap series is the second most frequent series in NHL history among non-Original 6 teams, at the conclusion of this series we will have met 11 times, the only series with more meetings is the Stars-Blues (12 meetings).

Last edited:

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
The game within the game. The matchups. Kuzy vs Malkin has potential. Kuzy is a scrappy mofo I like it. I want to see Orpik take his annual early big run at center at Malkin, but this year, try to really nail S1d, too. Why the hell not pretending like he isn't there hasn't been working. He will blow a fuse for sure and take dumb penalties.

The key, hit him hard enough that embellishing is impossible. Letang will blow up, too, Stay on them and dictate the games flow and style. Our system may not let us run and gun fully with them just yet.

I haven't reviewed their roster yet but do they have a tiny turnover prone offside D that we can target and run plays off of, by our bottom 6 dumping to him.... want some candy? Plaster him to the boards. That is all.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Man, all the frustration and anger from past years is bubbling up. Below is what I'd like to do to the Pens and ****sburgh.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I am not saying don't play aggressive, nasty or hostile. I am saying don't cross-check someone in the lower back at the tail end of a scrum, aggressive flying headlocks. Know when enough is enough.

I do think someone may have been in the ear of the refs because it was called on the Caps a lot, and CBJ players were losing their skates rather easily on the headlocks. There was a fourth on Stephenson, too.

I think that's a lock. Tortorella is well-known for working the refs and then criticizing the other coach for doing the same.

Empty Goal Net

I don't smell disgusting, musky, and rancid
Feb 13, 2010
The Pens-Cap series is the second most frequent series in NHL history, at the conclusion of this series we will have met 11 times, the only series with more meetings is the Stars-Blues (12 meetings).
Certainly not the second most frequent in NHL Stanley Cup Playoff history ... Habs-Bruins (and probably many others) are way more frequent. A quick count shows 22 Habs-Broons meetings since the 1966-67 expansion. Maybe since 1990 or sometime around then?

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Certainly not the second most frequent in NHL Stanley Cup Playoff history ... Habs-Bruins (and probably many others) are way more frequent. A quick count shows 22 Habs-Broons meetings since the 1966-67 expansion. Maybe since 1990 or sometime around then?

This was my impression. Habs/Bruins has to be tops

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Correct, the stat is for expansion teams (non O6) didn't see that at first.

Fixing it now

Last edited:

bur and 666 others

Jun 13, 2012
Just happy to be in this position discussing slaying the dragon :wave: let's do it and win it! all the smack from Pitts going our way, they have all rights to be confident and arrogant, hope our caps have enough pride to beat the f***ers out

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Voted Pitts in 7 because Refs and the Mario-Gary love but please please beat those Turrdds

You guys are overdue

GCG

Reactions: RandyHolt

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Pretty amazing how Stephenson has fit in with Backstrom so far, after so many other wingers (including fellow Swedes!) have not really meshed, and Stephenson himself couldn't really stand out in limited bottom-6 time.
I always thought Stephenson looked pretty good on the fourth line. He just didn't have capable linemates that were good at finishing chances he set up. He seemed to fairly consistently be able to beat D wide and create centering pass scoring chances. I'm not sure this sort of point production will continue but he's a legit good possession player with strong anticipation and awareness. I'd keep him with Backstrom, put Burakovsky on the third line when he's ready and put Connolly on the fourth line over Chiasson with Vrana. I don't think the fourth-line wingers will play very much either way against Pittsburgh and that could be a problem. Beagle will get sprinkled in for D zone draws regardless but they need to find a way to roll four lines capably. They're going to need it to truly be going on all cylinders. Vrana-Beagle-Connolly is a bit awkward in terms of style but if they're not going to be used a whole lot then they should be able to play a capable offensive-minded energy role.

Reactions: Raikkonen

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
I did some independent research.

Food for thought:

In the 6 games vs. CBJ only two position players on the Capitals failed to register a point, Burakovsky (2 GP) and Chiasson (4GP).

Last season the Capitals played 13 games, in the end they would have 5 position players fail to register a single point, two of them played in all 13 games.

In 2016 the Capitals played 12 games, they would have 4 players fail to register a point by the end of the playoffs, 2 of them played in all 12 games.

This Capitals team has been coined the thinnest depth wise of the last three years... the raw statistics do not in anyway support this.

BONUS
Interesting piece of trivia, only one player would play in all of the playoff game in 16 and 17 and fail to register a point, that's 25 GP with 0 points, without looking it up does anyone want to wager a guess as to who?

Reactions: amjay13

Chukcha

Aug 24, 2011
mongolian steppes
I did some independent research.

Food for thought:

In the 6 games vs. CBJ only two position players on the Capitals failed to register a point, Burakovsky (2 GP) and Chiasson (4GP).

Last season the Capitals played 13 games, in the end they would have 5 position players fail to register a single point, two of them played in all 13 games.

In 2016 the Capitals played 12 games, they would have 4 players fail to register a point by the end of the playoffs, 2 of them played in all 12 games.

This Capitals team has been coined the thinnest depth wise of the last three years... the raw statistics do not in anyway support this.

BONUS
Interesting piece of trivia, only one player would play in all of the playoff game in 16 and 17 and fail to register a point, that's 25 GP with 0 points, without looking it up does anyone want to wager a guess as to who?

ummm... Beagle indeed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad