Series Discussion: Washington Capitals vs Pittsburgh Penguins

Who wins?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
In terms of match ups, would it be safe to assume that the Backstrom line goes up against Crosby?

That's how it usually goes, and you have 3 solid guys defensively with Stephenson, Backstrom and Oshie on that line. Backstrom has done a great job of shutting down Crosby's line in 2016, not so great in 2017. We'll see how this goes. I can't imagine Kuznetsov or Eller matching up against Sid, he'd eat them alive.

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
Caps actually manufactured some goals in the CBus series by crashing the net, getting point shots through and scoring on rebounds as well as effectively screening the goaltender. They scored some gritty as well as greasy goals.

They seemed a lot less reliant on individual efforts although they had their share of those, as well.

There is cause for optimism. :)

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
Part of me would much rather Kuzya's line be against Crosby then 19's. I think the 19 line would be better served vs. Malkin.

On the other foot, maybe 8 - 92 - 43 can agitate Shrek and get him off his game.

Reactions: ovikovy817

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
Part of me would much rather Kuzya's line be against Crosby then 19's. I think the 19 line would be better served vs. Malkin.

On the other foot, maybe 8 - 92 - 43 can agitate Shrek and get him off his game.

Maybe Malkinstein’s knee/leg will be wonky for the series after this attempted slewfoot disaster. A few big hits from Ovie should make him a shrinking violet.

Reactions: RandyHolt

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Caps manhandled Pens last year, came down to Hornqvist or Rust or whoever it was edging out a goal in game 7 and the Caps shutting themselves down.

They have as good a chance against the Pens as any team in the league minus Vegas, who are Nu-Pens.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

peterthegreat12

Hopeless Caps fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jan 22, 2011
Washington DC
It will be interesting to see if Burakovsky is able to draw back into the line-up for this series.

Nice to have some young players excelling right now.

Fallschirmyager

Jun 25, 2009
Yes, Holtby (especially) and Stephenson are big pluses right now. Also DSP has that Ward playoff vibe going. And the defense is showing some good signs... man, it would've been cool to see one of Orlov, Schmidt, Djoos on the ice at all times...

Pretty amazing how Stephenson has fit in with Backstrom so far, after so many other wingers (including fellow Swedes!) have not really meshed, and Stephenson himself couldn't really stand out in limited bottom-6 time.
Definitely opens up more options to field a deep bottom-6, too. But tbh, one can see Trotz riding Eller, Beagle and DSP now -- and it's hard to see how Bura or Vrana might fit there. Again, what's the identity?
I don't think it will be enough for Caps' bottom-6 to be solid -- they need to be able to put the Pens on their heels somehow.

These Caps don't quite look like championship material, but they seem to be relatively close to dialing in their "puncher's chance" mode.

No they do not. That said, I'm not worried about anything other than the Pens. IF everyone continues to show up and give the effort we can win this series but EVERYONE has to show up.

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
MAF, their hero last year, isn't there this time.

It will end in 7. So in our comments/posts until that game we need to stay calm even if we are down by 3 or up by 3 before G4.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
They dont have Bonino but they have Brassard who is, to say very politely, a much better player and also they have Sheahan who was great in the last game against Philly taking 2C spot for them. So, if anything, they upgraded down the middle and have an advantage on us there (With all due respect, Eller is no Brassard). Defense of both teams is a suspect, they gonna take advantage of each other in that regard a lot. Soooo...it all comes down to who's the better goalie. The biggest test in Holts' career. He must be up to the task right away.

Reactions: PSUPEN

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
Caps were whistled for at least three post whistle scrum penalties leading to PKs in the CBJ series: Willy, Eller, Kuzy (am I missing any). Gotta shore that up against the Pens.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Caps were whistled for at least three post whistle scrum penalties leading to PKs in the CBJ series: Willy, Eller, Kuzy (am I missing any). Gotta shore that up against the Pens.

Please, no. I just noted the opposite in the thread on the mains. Stay nasty, hostile, and aggressive. Just keep the PK humming. I believe playing for each other and playing with that edge is a big reason they won 4 in a row. Putting a leash on guys like Wilson and Orpik will bite them in the ass just like it did in previous years. Let them do what they do since it's typically a net positive.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
What is all our all time series record, 1-13 I think? How can that be. This ends now. The insanity cannot continue. Someone has to put their foot down. And that foot is Kuz Magic, Ovi PPG, OT Nick, Willy Truckin'.... um need help here... but we can do this. Dammit. No more f***ing around.

Who am I kidding. The series should come down to Murray vs Holtby, garbage goals, and officiating.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
Please, no. I just noted the opposite in the thread on the mains. Stay nasty, hostile, and aggressive. Just keep the PK humming. I believe playing for each other and playing with that edge is a big reason they won 4 in a row. Putting a leash on guys like Wilson and Orpik will bite them in the ass just like it did in previous years. Let them do what they do since it's typically a net positive.

I am not saying don't play aggressive, nasty or hostile. I am saying don't cross-check someone in the lower back at the tail end of a scrum, aggressive flying headlocks. Know when enough is enough.

I do think someone may have been in the ear of the refs because it was called on the Caps a lot, and CBJ players were losing their skates rather easily on the headlocks. There was a fourth on Stephenson, too.

Last edited:

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Its this type of **** that really chaps my *****.

I can still remember being shocked the Caps beat Mario and the Pens in that one series the Caps won all those years ago. Would be nice to be shocked again. Anyway, **** ****sburgh.

Still going with the Young Guns 2.0 of Kuzy, Willy, Orly, etc... as a key to this series. Will throw in the Eller line as well. Caps need them to contribute in a significant way. Ultimately though Holtby needs to stand on his head and spin like a top for the Caps to have a chance.

Having said all that, I've seen this movie before. I chose Pens in 6.

strungout

Professional Killer
Jul 1, 2002
North Carolina
the-shining-1.jpg

Reactions: calicapsfan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad