Prospect Info: Washington Capitals Development Camp July 8-13, 2013

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
I will update post 40 to reflect this update.

Team Red Day 2 according to Peerless tweet - same as yesterday except for evening out red/gray with Stephenson moving to the gray line. Again, these are combos NOT position specific, as of now.

Team Red Forwards
Red: Stephane Legault (13), Andre Burakovsky (65), Tom Wilson (43)
Gray: Conor MacPhee (2), Brian Pinho (80) Chandler Stephenson (17)
White: Zach Harnden (46), Rob Linsmayer (97), Zach Sanford (82)
Green: Travis Boyd (53), Nolan LaPorte (22), Brandon Tanev (23)

Last edited:

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
Also, Team Red D pairs for Tuesday morning drills from Peerless on twitter, just the pairings:

Kucera/Lewington
Koudys/Bowey
Schmidt/Joyaux
Rissling/Haar

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
Same F line combos and G for Team White, per Peerless' updates.

Also, day 2 D pairings from Peerless for Team White:
Young/Wey
Monfredo/Carrick
Cajkovsky/Walsh
Petgrave/Heinrich

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I hope it doesn't mean they aren't centers already. Just skating line-ups.
See immediately above it in her post.

I will update post 40 to reflect this update.

Team Red Day 2 according to Peerless tweet - same as yesterday except for evening out red/gray with Stephenson moving to the gray line. Again, these are combos NOT position specific, as of now.

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
Anybody got lines and pairings from today?

The lines and pairings for the scrimmage were very similar, as expected, to what has been posted. Lines the same to start the scrimmage from what I saw; obviously some line changes causing different combos at times and near the end when at least one player wasn't skating.

Goalies: Kostenko started for Team White, followed by Saunders. Anderson started for Team Red followed by Guindon.

The D pairings for Team White to start the scrimmage were:

Michal Cajkovsky (47) / Connor Carrick (58)
Travis Walsh (87) / Blake Heinrich (60)
Matt Petgrave (40) / Mike Monfredo (79)
Dalton Young (91) / Patrick Wey (56)

The D pairings for Team Red, pretty sure match what has been posted, maybe a L/R swap.

As far as face-offs, some variation and didn't see all of them, but looked like Burkovsky, Stephenson, Sanford, & Boyd for Team Red; Larson, Hilbrich, Anas & I think Herbert for Team White.

fedfed

@FedFedRMNB
Oct 28, 2010
Moscow City
8 of 10 goals were posted on Monumental Network. Looks like none were scored by the Caps prospects. From what I was able to identify, looked like the scorers were: Monardo, Young, Walsh, Tanev, Legault, Leier, Hilbrich, Linsmayer.

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
8 of 10 goals were posted on Monumental Network. Looks like none were scored by the Caps prospects. From what I was able to identify, looked like the scorers were: Monardo, Young, Walsh, Tanev, Legault, Leier, Hilbrich, Linsmayer.

On first look, I thought the penalty shot goal was Barber, but Monardo is right... Very Barber esque stride and shot.

blindsideheadshot

Jun 26, 2013
I posted this on another forum I'm more active on, but figured it can go here too.

Wednesday's Scrimmage:

Let me start by saying the score of 7-3 wasn't necessarily indicative of the play. The goaltending was atrocious, especially Anderson for Red. Both teams had chances and times of pressure, but Red was able to carry zone time more effectively.

Players that impressed:
The Caps are a little thin at true star potential prospects with Kuznetsov in Russia, but a couple stood out during the course of the scrimmage.

Burakovsky - The guy can skate. They had him lined up as Red's top line center and he played a great 200 foot game. He backchecked, was rarely too far out of position and when he was, he had the skating ability to correct it. The puck also seems to follow him around quite a lot, he knows how to get open and has good instincts with and without the puck. Was part of a great tick-tack-toe goal that was finished by Legault. Probably our best prospect outside of Kuznetsov in terms of outright scoring ability. He needs to put on some serious size, was really lanky and sometimes easily knocked off the puck.

Bowey - Once he gets some polish, he's going to be very good. Good skating, good vision and a great first pass. Looks to jump up in the play and join the rush at times as well. He broke up a 2 on 1 perfectly at one point during the second, and turned it back up ice. Of the 2013 picks, he looked the most ready, but he needs time to polish the mental side of his game. He needs to pick his spots better for joining the rush, and not run around so much in his own zone. Might end up being a steal of a two-way Dman.

Barber - Seemed to always be involved in the play. Crafty and not afraid to stick his nose in the corners either. Was a part of at least one of white's goals.

Schmidt - Easily the most polished looking player out there. He might be ready for the NHL already. Extremely smart, with good reads and good skating to get him there. Also good at running the point. Caps really need a 2LD and he should be able to fill that in the future. He'll make a push in real camp, I think.

Those players were the most remarkable, there are some other mentionables though.

Wilson - Seemed to be trying to hit everything that moved and be everywhere. His skating still needs a little work and it looked like he got hurt towards the end, left the bench missing at least 2 shifts.

Carrick - Made some smart plays, decked MacPhee, was noticeable in good ways.

Invitees:

LaPorte - looked like he was playing to get a deal. Scored Red's first goal and was always buzzing when he was out there.

Cajovsky - Big Dman that can hit. Looked like he was looking to fight Wilson at one point, but nothing came of it.

That's what was most noticeable to me, if you have questions about specific players I'll do what I can to remember.

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
On first look, I thought the penalty shot goal was Barber, but Monardo is right... Very Barber esque stride and shot.

The penalty shot goal in the first was definitely Monardo.

Linsmayer had a penalty shot later in the game; he looked to be hurt earlier in the game and kept playing, too.

If people are interested in video, Washington Caps site is the place to look.

Also, they announced that like past years they plan to have coverage of the final scrimmage on Saturday.

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site

I posted this on another forum I'm more active on, but figured it can go here too.

Wednesday's Scrimmage:

Let me start by saying the score of 7-3 wasn't necessarily indicative of the play. The goaltending was atrocious, especially Anderson for Red. Both teams had chances and times of pressure, but Red was able to carry zone time more effectively.

Players that impressed:
The Caps are a little thin at true star potential prospects with Kuznetsov in Russia, but a couple stood out during the course of the scrimmage.

Burakovsky - The guy can skate. They had him lined up as Red's top line center and he played a great 200 foot game. He backchecked, was rarely too far out of position and when he was, he had the skating ability to correct it. The puck also seems to follow him around quite a lot, he knows how to get open and has good instincts with and without the puck. Was part of a great tick-tack-toe goal that was finished by Legault. Probably our best prospect outside of Kuznetsov in terms of outright scoring ability. He needs to put on some serious size, was really lanky and sometimes easily knocked off the puck.

Bowey - Once he gets some polish, he's going to be very good. Good skating, good vision and a great first pass. Looks to jump up in the play and join the rush at times as well. He broke up a 2 on 1 perfectly at one point during the second, and turned it back up ice. Of the 2013 picks, he looked the most ready, but he needs time to polish the mental side of his game. He needs to pick his spots better for joining the rush, and not run around so much in his own zone. Might end up being a steal of a two-way Dman.

Barber - Seemed to always be involved in the play. Crafty and not afraid to stick his nose in the corners either. Was a part of at least one of white's goals.

Schmidt - Easily the most polished looking player out there. He might be ready for the NHL already. Extremely smart, with good reads and good skating to get him there. Also good at running the point. Caps really need a 2LD and he should be able to fill that in the future. He'll make a push in real camp, I think.

Those players were the most remarkable, there are some other mentionables though.

Wilson - Seemed to be trying to hit everything that moved and be everywhere. His skating still needs a little work and it looked like he got hurt towards the end, left the bench missing at least 2 shifts.

Carrick - Made some smart plays, decked MacPhee, was noticeable in good ways.

Invitees:

LaPorte - looked like he was playing to get a deal. Scored Red's first goal and was always buzzing when he was out there.

Cajovsky - Big Dman that can hit. Looked like he was looking to fight Wilson at one point, but nothing came of it.

That's what was most noticeable to me, if you have questions about specific players I'll do what I can to remember.

Thanks!

What did you think of Zachary Sanford?

blindsideheadshot

Jun 26, 2013
Thanks!

What did you think of Zachary Sanford?

Sanford was someone I was looking for, since they packaged 3 picks to move up for him. He's another guy that needs to fill out a lot, he was really lanky and could be knocked off the puck. His play wasn't overly consistent, but he does have good puck control. I remember a poster mentioning he holds the puck too long, and there was one sequence where he did just that. When he does let it go, it seems to find its way back and later in that play he had a scoring chance in front. He's definitely a project, but going to BC will be good for him.

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com

Was told that invitee Justin Larson also scored for team white. How did he look?

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
So Burakovsky isn't a bum? Vety interesting.

Thanks for the info.

Schmidt for 2LD?! That's what happen if the likes of Kovy are on their way out of league.

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
From the highlights from today's scrimmage, it looks like Barber got a breakaway goal and an assist.

Reds goalies suck. Don't even seem to be trying.

Also Schmidt was wearing a GoPro, hopefully clips from it will be posted

Wilson mic'd up, http://www.monumentalnetwork.com/vi...sp?tagId=0000013a-f461-d5f7-a53a-ff7f4fdc0000

Schmidt wore a helmet cam during Wed. morning's practice. Anderson was in goal for the Barber breakaway goal, but it was still nice by Barber. A picture from right before the goal. link. Another play in the game, where Barber made a strong play to retain possession of the puck that was memorable.

Pinho took a big hit, but he stayed in the scrimmage. Hilbrich made a nice play on Murphy's goal.

They've kept the lines and D pairings consistent throughout the week from what I've observed.

Goalies: Saunders is older than the other goalies and it shows; in limited viewings, I'd say he's been the best of the four during the scrimmages. Guindon is young. One season in the Q and this was his first draft eligible season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad