GDT: wascar

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
because it wasn't Datsyukian enough, whatever that means.

There's nothing lucky about being in that right place at that right time

Why? 9 times out of 10 Siegenthaler rims it out, and Aho has to skate on the back check.

Aho was quick enough to pressure Siegenthaler into a mistake, then had the hands and vision to find Teravainen, who accordingly adjusted for a clean passing lane and shot. A great play from the Finns.

In any case, luck has more of an impact on individual games than many fans (not you, just in general) are willing to admit. We may have a 60% chance to lose tomorrow, but that's still a 40% chance to win in a sample size of 1.

But let's give Aho zero credit

Hey, if Kev really means that, then I'll disagree too.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
I believe he means Aho didn't do anything spectacular and of his own volition to force the play, but rather was the beneficiary of a lucky break by being in the right place at the right time. So the difference between a Datsyuk-esque strip and dish, and Siegenthaler (great name btw) whiffing on the outlet with Aho right there.

There's nothing lucky about being in that right place at that right time. That's the whole point of aggressive forechecking: forcing your opponent to make a mistake.

But let's give Aho zero credit because it wasn't Datsyukian enough, whatever that means.

Hey, if Kev really means that, then I'll disagree too.

Jeez, that got parsed. I was just trying to make it clear that the Aho makes a brilliant play to strip Siegenthaler, who wasn't hard enough on the puck, narrative was false. All the credit in the world for Aho being in on the forecheck and making the pass to TT for the goal. But we also got lucky. Siegenthaler didn't "whiff" at all or make a mistake. His stick got stuck in a seam in the boards. That happens maybe once every 10 games. It was a good break for us, and a bad break for them. That's all.

Reactions: Unsustainable

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Aho has been disappointing no matter how you slice it. He did play a role in a huge play last night but as our offensive leader he needs to be more dangerous than he’s seemed. Ditto TT. Nino too for that matter. We count on these guys and they don’t seem to be able to escape the defense like they did in the regular season. That part makes sense but if we’re going to count on them moving forward I think they need to show more.

Foegele is a miracle. Can’t count on that.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Siegenthaler didn't "whiff" at all

That's literally what a "whiff" is. He tried to hit the puck and failed. Lucky for us, great that it was Aho and not any other forward who was there to capitalize (heh).

Aho has been disappointing no matter how you slice it.

His defensive lapse on the Connolly goal last night reminded me of prime Eric Staal when he was in a rut- a guy who knows he's supposed to be the leader, but isn't cutting it and is desperate to get something going.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Aho has been disappointing no matter how you slice it. He did play a role in a huge play last night but as our offensive leader he needs to be more dangerous than he’s seemed. Ditto TT. Nino too for that matter. We count on these guys and they don’t seem to be able to escape the defense like they did in the regular season. That part makes sense but if we’re going to count on them moving forward I think they need to show more.

Foegele is a miracle. Can’t count on that.
Aho has to be hurt. Because if he's not, I worry about his ability to be consistent in future years, which is something we really need out of him.

Just imagine how this series plays out if our top line could actually do something.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Jeez, that got parsed. I was just trying to make it clear that the Aho makes a brilliant play to strip Siegenthaler, who wasn't hard enough on the puck, narrative was false. All the credit in the world for Aho being in on the forecheck and making the pass to TT for the goal. But we also got lucky. Siegenthaler didn't "whiff" at all or make a mistake. His stick got stuck in a seam in the boards. That happens maybe once every 10 games. It was a good break for us, and a bad break for them. That's all.

LOL. Parsed? You literally said Aho "really didn't do anything right".

Now what you're saying is different. That's good, because that thing you said before was wrong. So thanks for clarifying.

It is said that luck is where preparation meets opportunity. This play was the perfect example of that aphorism.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Aho has to be hurt. Because if he's not, I worry about his ability to be consistent in future years, which is something we really need out of him.

Just imagine how this series plays out if our top line could actually do something.
I’m worried about the contract. He’s going to be the guy whether we like it or not, or whether he is good enough or not. Staal couldn’t do it by himself and I can’t see how Aho will. Hopefully we will spend close to the cap and keep good players around him.

He doesn’t seem dangerous at all. Having more muscle isn’t enough. I’m thinking it’s still possibly an injury as he doesn’t look as quick as he normally does.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I’m worried about the contract. He’s going to be the guy whether we like it or not, or whether he is good enough or not. Staal couldn’t do it by himself and I can’t see how Aho will. Hopefully we will spend close to the cap and keep good players around him.

He doesn’t seem dangerous at all. Having more muscle isn’t enough. I’m thinking it’s still possibly an injury as he doesn’t look as quick as he normally does.
I hope Dundon has seen what kind of following we can have here and is prepared to pay to keep the team playing well. Obviously, don't get stupid with it, but I think one more higher end addition to this quad could pay dividends going forward. Of course, I also think Necas is going to be a huge help when he comes up as well, so we'll see there.

The good thing is we have Svech around, which is the kind of talent we never had on this team when Staal was our main guy. At the very least, those two could form a very formidable top line in the near future that should be mutually beneficial. But seeing Foegele break it open this postseason to bookend the start of his year, makes me think he could be a hidden gem in the making.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
I'm not really worried about Aho long term. I'm pretty positive he's playing through an injury or two that's not quite enough to put him out of the lineup but is enough to affect his play. He's not able to find another gear to blow by opposing players and wheel freely around the offensive zone like he was doing at will earlier in the season. If it comes out that he was 100% healthy, then we've got something to worry about.

As for his play last night, even after Siegenthaler turned it over, Aho almost lost a handle on the puck and barely got back it to his stick in time to hit TT in stride coming to the net. I give him a lot of credit for that. With the way he's fighting the puck, that could have easily been another flubbed pass or stickhandle by him, and we are on him about his play even more than we already are.

I will say that there was no excuse for his blown coverage on Washington's first goal. Injured or not, that simply can't happen.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

I've noticed that as well. Both in quickness and speed. Mid season, he would blow by guys and doesn't seem to have that now so there's something to that.

I think part of it that many are downplaying, is that he's playing C, when his natural position has been W for the past 4-5 years. We had no choice but to play him there, but he's still a 175lb center playing his first full season at C in a physical playoff match-up. He's done remarkably well in that role this season, so I'm not suggesting that he can't continue to be a C, but I'm not sure he wouldn't be even more effective as a winger.

I'm not worried about him long term though. He's got skill, the right attitude/work ethic, he plays the game the right way, he's (reportedly) had an intense desire to win, and is a great kid. He's the type of guy I don't mind paying. Ideally, we'd be adding enough talent around him, either via trade/UFA and guys like Necas, Svech, etc...

Reactions: A Star is Burns

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I've noticed that as well. Both in quickness and speed. Mid season, he would blow by guys and doesn't seem to have that now so there's something to that.

I think part of it that many are downplaying, is that he's playing C, when his natural position has been W for the past 4-5 years. We had no choice but to play him there, but he's still a 175lb center playing his first full season at C in a physical playoff match-up. He's done remarkably well in that role this season, so I'm not suggesting that he can't continue to be a C, but I'm not sure he wouldn't be even more effective as a winger.

I'm not worried about him long term though. He's got skill, the right attitude/work ethic, he plays the game the right way, he's (reportedly) had an intense desire to win, and is a great kid. He's the type of guy I don't mind paying. Ideally, we'd be adding enough talent around him, either via trade/UFA and guys like Necas, Svech, etc...
He's going to continue to be our 1C, because he's the best option that we are going to have there short of getting lucky in the draft and having someone fall to us there. So its probably not worth the mental exercise to wonder about that, because it just won't happen. And really, if he keeps progressing, he's going to be a Top 25 player in the league in a short time.

A couple months ago nobody would have even asked this.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
He's going to continue to be our 1C, because he's the best option that we are going to have there short of getting lucky in the draft and having someone fall to us there. So its probably not worth the mental exercise to wonder about that, because it just won't happen. And really, if he keeps progressing, he's going to be a Top 25 player in the league in a short time.

A couple months ago nobody would have even asked this.

I disagree. I know Bleed (I think) and a few have discussed it all season long. I think you are right that he's going to be our 1C because we don't have any other options right now, but that doesn't mean we can't discuss options about how to improve the team going forward. If you thing that's not worth the mental exercise, then probably 95% of the roster discussions had on this board aren't worth the mental exercise, because most of them aren't happening.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
aho was really limited in how many draws he was taking despite his success there, which seems to suggest there's something wrong. that lower body issue he had after that collision seems like the most likely scenario for me. it coincides directly with the eye test about when he started to look human. nino in particular has looked a little lost without him and teuvo has been anchored by that somewhat. our top line has decisively lost the battle this series, but they've had some timely moments.

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
It would have been great for Aho to dominate. But don't forget he has as many or more points in these playoffs as centers named: Crosby, Malkin, Point, Bergeron, O'Reilly. Many of us have likely forgotten how much harder hockey is after the first week of April.

Reactions: Stickpucker

CanesFanBudMan

Borg member
Jun 14, 2016
Sheesh - He was on a 90+ point pace until his knee to knee with NN.

He hurt his knee then and it is still hurt. Its pretty apparent his skating has been effected since then (both his strength on his skates and his quickness).

He was a clear 1C before then - there is no reason to think he wont be when he is recovered.

VAcaniac

SHOOT THE PUCK
Feb 16, 2007
Los Angeles
I mean svechinkov isnt exactly a slouch, so I dont see how Aho is going to have to carry this team.

Svech has already looked amazing in his rookie year.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Sheesh - He was on a 90+ point pace until his knee to knee with NN.

He hurt his knee then and it is still hurt. Its pretty apparent his skating has been effected since then (both his strength on his skates and his quickness).

He was a clear 1C before then - there is no reason to think he wont be when he is recovered.
And he was on a 90+ point pace in his first season as a center. The kid has natural talent and skill for that spot. As you said, there is no reason to think he's not going to be a great 1C for us for the long haul.

I'm more worried about 2C going forward. I think Necas should be good there in the long term, but I wonder if we're going to have to work him in via wing before moving him like we did with Aho, or if he can slot in at 3C or 4C before moving up.

Reactions: CanesFanBudMan

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I think some of you guys are either missing the point of my post or misreading/misinterpreting it. I was commenting that this is his first season as a C and facing a big, physical team like the Caps is a tough challenge. I also said:

"He's done remarkably well in that role this season, so I'm not suggesting that he can't continue to be a C, but I'm not sure he wouldn't be even more effective as a winger."

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
"He's done remarkably well in that role this season, so I'm not suggesting that he can't continue to be a C, but I'm not sure he wouldn't be even more effective as a winger."

I agree with this completely. If nothing else, I think Aho's career will be at least two years longer as a long-term winger than a center. It's not that he *can't* play center, it's that it costs too much physically.

I brought up the Mike Piazza illustration before because it fits so well. Would you rather have eight seasons of Piazza as a catcher, getting beat up every day, or 12 seasons of Piazza as a first-baseman? Yeah, it's tougher to find that offense out of a catcher, but that's a lot of seasons you're giving away if you play him there.

And he was on a 90+ point pace in his first season as a center. The kid has natural talent and skill for that spot. As you said, there is no reason to think he's not going to be a great 1C for us for the long haul.

You're looking at the results, with no respect for the cost. There's a cost-benefit scale for Aho at center vs. Aho at wing. IMO, there's a similar benefit at a lower cost to playing him at wing long term.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
He's gonna be great. He's gonna be worth the money. He'll be a 1C if that's the right place, he'll be a 1W if that's the right place.

People who say "maybe he's not that great" are off base. He is that great, and he's going to get even better. He's obviously playing through pain right now, which sucks, but that's the playoffs.

He's also 21 and still growing into his body. At 25 he'll probably be closer to 200 pounds.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
People who say "maybe he's not that great" are off base. He is that great, and he's going to get even better. He's obviously playing through pain right now, which sucks, but that's the playoffs.

Aho *is* that great. I'm not sure what I said that would indicate I don't believe that. He's not been great the past few months and I'm sure it's injury-related. But the fact is, him being healthy in September doesn't help us tomorrow. We need him to stay with his check and not give anything up if he's not going to be able to be dynamic on the offensive end.

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad