GDT: wascar

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
You're looking at the results, with no respect for the cost. There's a cost-benefit scale for Aho at center vs. Aho at wing. IMO, there's a similar benefit at a lower cost to playing him at wing long term.
1C is a much more rare asset than 1W

For that reason, if the cost-benefit is similar, you keep him at center, because the odds of finding a replacement there are much lower than at wing

CanesFanBudMan

Borg member
Jun 14, 2016

For that reason, if the cost-benefit is similar, you keep him at center, because the odds of finding a replacement there are much lower than at wing
I see the cost benefit for him being higher at C. Look at what his wingers have done over the course of the season. He makes other players better and he can best do that from the middle.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008

Yes, the same way a 40-homer catcher is more rare than a 40-homer first-baseman. But we're talking about *years* on a career. I get your point. "If the cost-benefit is similar," but it's not. Aho at center doesn't last 10 years in the league.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008

I see the cost benefit for him being higher at C. Look at what his wingers have done over the course of the season. He makes other players better and he can best do that from the middle.

I give up. If you guys want to run Aho into the ground the same way we did with Ward and Staal, be my guest. But IMO, it would be easier to just trade for a freakin' center.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Yes, the same way a 40-homer catcher is more rare than a 40-homer first-baseman. But we're talking about *years* on a career. I get your point. "If the cost-benefit is similar," but it's not. Aho at center doesn't last 10 years in the league.
I'm sorry... what? I mean... what? How do you come with this... what?

I give up. If you guys want to run Aho into the ground the same way we did with Ward and Staal, be my guest. But IMO, it would be easier to just trade for a freakin' center.
Where is this coming from? Seriously, where? Staal was run into the ground because he had nobody to play with and he had to single handedly carry a team with guys like Chad LaRose on his line. Ward was run into the ground because we had no backup, we needed to play him 75+ games a year and our defense sucked out loud.

Aho is arguably not even the most skilled asset we have at forward, that would be Svech. He literally isn't going to have to shoulder everything. Pretty much ALL of our playoff scoring right now is coming from the Not-Aho lines. What are you talking about that we're going to run him into the ground? He got hurt on a friendly fire collision and now his future at C is in question? What?

I'm seriously asking, how are you drawing this comparison? Where is this mental meltdown coming from?

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
And what do you mean it would be easier to trade for a center? Sure, we have the assets to get a 1C here, absolutely. But at a likely cost of Slavin+, we're going to immediately start crying about how our defense struggles and how we need to fix it. And if you're not going to do that, then no, it won't be easier to trade than it would be to keep rolling with what we got.

And another thing, the reason we can get away with rolling with relatively unproven guys like Mrazek for a season, allowing them to grow into their role, is because we have a great defense that suppresses opportunities at arguably the most efficient rate in the league. You take one of the main assets out of that to chase the 1C, not only does it make the defense worse, but it also potentially exposes a weakness that we currently cover up. That's not a good idea.

Last edited:
Reactions: A Star is Burns

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
I'm not sure how one can even begin to come to a conclusion like this. There's literally zero evidence that supports this conclusion, and it's wild speculation at best. No one has any clue what he'll be like 2-3 years, let alone 10 years.

The overanalysis of his game because of a bad month or two after a breakout year where people weren't even sure he could play center at all is pure insanity. I don't think anyone really expected him to become a point per game winger this year, nevermind a point per game center. He has surpassed all expectations this year, even with the poor end to his season so far.

Even if we somehow acquire a guy like Duchene, I would still leave Aho at center because this team is much, much better with a proven #1 C and Aho at center rather than a proven #1 C and Jordan Staal at center.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Through the Buffalo game on 3/16, Sebastian Aho had 5 goals, 3 assists in the first 8 games of March.

Since that game, Sebastian Aho has had 1 goal, 8 assists in 17 games. What happened? Aho played an absurd 28 minutes 27 seconds on 3/19 vs. Pittsburgh. *That* is the turning point in his season. Not the knee-on-knee hit everyone wants to talk about, but the overuse that nobody wants to talk about. Disagree all you want, but it's all right there.

And I'm sorry about this, too, but if we traded Slavin for a true No. 1 center, we'd be a better team. I hope it doesn't come to that. I'd prefer to trade Faulk. But the analysis that our defense covers up other weaknesses just doesn't hold water. For all the slobbering we do over our defense, they have been surprisingly shaky as a unit, making mistakes that a unit with this pedigree simply should not make.

Having $30 million tied up in Slavin, Pesce, Faulk, de Haan, Hamilton, van Riemsdyk, Fleury and Bean is just bad management. I know we're on a fun run right now, but it's clouding your judgement. We have flaws, and the makeup of our defense is one of them.

You don't want to hear any of this now, and that's fine. But that doesn't make it untrue.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
I will say that Aho may well be the lightest 1C in the NHL. Other players of his stature are generally wingers.

I don't think it automatically follows that his career is destined to be years shorter as a result. But it's also not crazy to consider as a possibility.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Through the Buffalo game on 3/16, Sebastian Aho had 5 goals, 3 assists in the first 8 games of March.

Since that game, Sebastian Aho has had 1 goal, 8 assists in 17 games. What happened? Aho played an absurd 28 minutes 27 seconds on 3/19 vs. Pittsburgh. *That* is the turning point in his season. Not the knee-on-knee hit everyone wants to talk about, but the overuse that nobody wants to talk about. Disagree all you want, but it's all right there.

And I'm sorry about this, too, but if we traded Slavin for a true No. 1 center, we'd be a better team. I hope it doesn't come to that. I'd prefer to trade Faulk. But the analysis that our defense covers up other weaknesses just doesn't hold water. For all the slobbering we do over our defense, they have been surprisingly shaky as a unit, making mistakes that a unit with this pedigree simply should not make.

Having $30 million tied up in Slavin, Pesce, Faulk, de Haan, Hamilton, van Riemsdyk, Fleury and Bean is just bad management. I know we're on a fun run right now, but it's clouding your judgement. We have flaws, and the makeup of our defense is one of them.

You don't want to hear any of this now, and that's fine. But that doesn't make it untrue.

Oh my God.

Call them your f***ing opinions, Kev, because that's what they f***ing are. Spare us the truth lectures on matters that are clearly opinions.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Call them your ****ing opinions, Kev, because that's what they ****ing are. Spare us the truth lectures on matters that are clearly opinions.

Is this your opinion? :sarcasm:

For all the slobbering we do over our defense, they have been surprisingly shaky as a unit, making mistakes that a unit with this pedigree simply should not make.

In the playoffs?

'Cause IMO the defense I see is shutting down a great offense on the possession game. It's in transition that's killing us, which is from the dmen pinching aggressively, which is on coaching.

Reactions: Stickpucker

jerksforlife

Apr 22, 2019
I’m not up for trading Slavin for a #1 C when we have Aho here. If you see defensive breakdowns what are you expecting without Slavin?

Do you not remember our defense when Faulk was our #1? It sucked donkey balls

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017

Or... And hear me out here

The knee on knee hit that also happens to coincide with the downturn in play is impacting his play, which you can see based on the way he is unable to move and shift with his lower body like he could before that moment.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
On second thought, tying the game on a beaut of a forecheck play is kind of clutch too. Turbo's goal but Aho's daring.
Yep he made a hell of a play there...but I don’t think one can say he’s been an impact player in the series. Hopefully that changes Wednesday night.

To be clear, I’m not down on him. Slumps happen. Injuries happen.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Aho is fine at center or at wing, but center is the biggest hole in the lineup so I’m fine with him there.

My number one goal for the off season would still be a number two above Staal and borderline competitive with Aho. Righty would be great but unlikely. Stepan would’ve been a pretty good fit as well as the commonly talked about options likely out there. And a RW, possibly two. It could be Necas with Goat on the fourth line or something like that. I just don’t think our internal options are good enough or ready enough to not chase after someone else.

I think our d has been sloppy all year, excessively so for the guys we have. I’ve been putting that on a Rod vs Peters structure kind of thing. I wouldn’t mind seeing a different defensive coach if this is the result of our current situation. These guys are all over the place making crazy plays to keep the puck out of our net. I’m glad they’re skilled enough at the position to do so but it’s not supposed to be needed quite so much. I don’t mind the forwards having no structure but the defense has looked like it needs it all year.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Now to figure out Washington D.C.

Official-Washington-DC-Metro-map.mediumthumb.pdf.png

Eventually, I will stop doubting this team

Just one more improbable win. Then I'll stop.

Hey you guys, don't get ahead of yourselves....

ears are still ringing from yesterday

What did you say?

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
It's in transition that's killing us, which is from the dmen pinching aggressively, which is on coaching.
That is a bit of hyperbole. The Canes are currently tied with the defending Stanley Cup champions--nothing is killing them.

As far as Aho at C--this same board was almost unanimous that Brayden Point would be the 1C if the Canes somehow acquired him. He is smaller than Aho and had 1 point in 4 playoff games.

This team is good--and even though it doesn't have two marquee centers like Crosby/Malkin or Stamkos/Point, they are still playing hockey. How about we all enjoy it and complain about the team's shortcomings in the offseason.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
That is a bit of hyperbole. The Canes are currently tied with the defending Stanley Cup champions--nothing is killing them.

As far as Aho at C--this same board was almost unanimous that Brayden Point would be the 1C if the Canes somehow acquired him. He is smaller than Aho and had 1 point in 4 playoff games.

This team is good--and even though it doesn't have two marquee centers like Crosby/Malkin or Stamkos/Point, they are still playing hockey. How about we all enjoy it and complain about the team's shortcomings in the offseason.
....and what fun would that be....

Reactions: cptjeff

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
And I'm sorry about this, too, but if we traded Slavin for a true No. 1 center, we'd be a better team... But the analysis that our defense covers up other weaknesses just doesn't hold water. For all the slobbering we do over our defense, they have been surprisingly shaky as a unit, making mistakes that a unit with this pedigree simply should not make.

giphy.webp

I have no words...

Reactions: Navin R Slavin

dogbazinho

May 24, 2006
Fairfax, VA
I'd entertain trading Slavin but it would only be for a few Centers. Essentially gaurantteed 1C < 25 years of age. That list is so small that I don't ever see a trade happening. Now if it became clear that McDavid no longer wanted to stay in Edmonton then certainly you trade Slavin but would you throw in Aho? I think you have to.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad