Was yesterday the real turning point?

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
We've been deceived dozens of times over the last 10 years.

Was yesterday the first real true sign that the team is truly becoming a different entity?

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
1 game, especially at the end of yet another lost season, means nothing, or at least close to nothing.... the "turning point" in my mind will be a season (hopefully next season) where the oilers are in, or close to, a playoff position and play 3-4 games in a row against tough competition without looking like a 2nd class team

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Yes the culture is changing. Last night was the Oilers brand of hockey we all been waiting for

5 good games. 3 against cup contenders. 2 against Buffalo+Philly

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
who knows...waaaaaaaay too early

let's see how the final 16 games go before we declare a "turning point"

frankly, the LA game was a real beginning anyways, if you want to put a game on it

HotToddy75

Jun 13, 2011
Once Klef and Nuge are back we need to see how the healthy group does against western teams.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Point isn't to be patient and wait - that would be the obvious thing to do.

Just want to see what the immediate reaction is and how many of us are right or wrong about it.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
We've been deceived dozens of times over the last 10 years.

Was yesterday the first real true sign that the team is truly becoming a different entity?

In terms of physicality theres a needed amount of catalyst to start a chain chemical reaction imo.

This started years ago with the team getting Hendricks, a player that could play, but who was too isolated on a team that didn't have many strong tough players that could play. Bringing in guys like Gaz, Eager, Brown were always mistakes to me because those guys are just mostly chirping from the bench. They are barely on the ice. They are not playing to the right, or left, of players thus making them all taller.

This year Chia augmented with Gryba. Another solid, strong, taking care of business acquisition. We also had the young rookie Nurse noting so much what was wrong with this team that he immediately wanted to fill that tough role. Even had Reinhart trying to step up there.

But until recently we didn't have enough of that element represented in the toi.

Now we do. We're seeing toughness on every line, every shift, and with Gryba, Klef eventually back this club is even harder to play against and I think we end up getting more out of Pouliot as well.

Note how Yak played real physical last night as well and Hall and Eberle were chirping Flyers. Even McDavid has had that kind of "you're not touching me out there anymore" grin.

Who knows when the wins starts piling up but I finally know that the team is developing this foundation of players that is required in WC play.

Flyers consider themselves one of the tougher squads in the EC (phoney tough) and we blew that team to hell in their own rink. In a game they HAD to win. Not only that we beat them at any aspect. They were beat on the scoresheet and pummelled on the ice.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
The turning point was a year ago when Daly revealed the gold card live on TV.

Since then we have had setbacks along the way but overall we've been moving in the right direction.

oilwave

Jan 15, 2011
Edmonton
No, Oilers have had better games/stretches than this over the past decade and sucked after. Adding some grinders/removing Schultz doesn't change this team from the worst in the league to a playoff team.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
the games don't mean anything and the opposition was a middling team from the lesser eastern conference ... not exactly the LA kings

That was a solid effort and they battled hard the last 5 games. Stood up for each others. 3 consecutive wins. Got rid of soft and lazy players. The culture is changing.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
We've seen these games before over the last decade. When the Oilers were destroying the Hawks during RNH's first year, we thought they had arrived.

I think it'll be a turning point if they win like 15 games down the stretch here. Otherwise, impossible to tell, it could just be a good couple games. They do look more like an NHL hockey team since bringing in the size though, so I'm excited to see who else Chiarelli brings in.

Edit: Seeing Draisaitl laying out guys the last few games gives me hope that adding functional size is actually going to make a difference.

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
Who knows, but last nights team sure resembled the team we've been waiting to cheer for for many years. Its amazing how the whole team plays bigger when they have more size in the lineup.

Actually its not really amazing. Its obvious. And frustrating it taken so long.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
In terms of physicality theres a needed amount of catalyst to start a chain chemical reaction imo.

This started years ago with the team getting Hendricks, a player that could play, but who was too isolated on a team that didn't have many strong tough players that could play. Bringing in guys like Gaz, Eager, Brown were always mistakes to me because those guys are just mostly chirping from the bench. They are barely on the ice. They are not playing to the right, or left, of players thus making them all taller.

This year Chia augmented with Gryba. Another solid, strong, taking care of business acquisition. We also had the young rookie Nurse noting so much what was wrong with this team that he immediately wanted to fill that tough role. Even had Reinhart trying to step up there.

But until recently we didn't have enough of that element represented in the toi.

Now we do. We're seeing toughness on every line, every shift, and with Gryba, Klef eventually back this club is even harder to play against and I think we end up getting more out of Pouliot as well.

Note how Yak played real physical last night as well and Hall and Eberle were chirping Flyers. Even McDavid has had that kind of "you're not touching me out there anymore" grin.

Who knows when the wins starts piling up but I finally know that the team is developing this foundation of players that is required in WC play.

Flyers consider themselves one of the tougher squads in the EC (phoney tough) and we blew that team to hell in their own rink. In a game they HAD to win. Not only that we beat them at any aspect. They were beat on the scoresheet and pummelled on the ice.

I would agree generally.

Also to note that in the past instead of Pardy falling on Schenn it would have been Gudas falling on Hall or RNH. And we would have been pissed that it was "intentional" and the other board would be talking up how professional Gudas was for checking on Hall immediately after they hit the ice.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
too early, but if it turns out that they have turned a corner, we may look back to this game 5 game stretch/Trade deadline as 'the turning point'.

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
Point is to answer now so that you can see whether you were right or wrong.
Then you shouldn't have given the I don't know option.

who knows...waaaaaaaay too early

let's see how the final 16 games go before we declare a "turning point"

frankly, the LA game was a real beginning anyways, if you want to put a game on it
Benching then trading Shultz seems to be the real beginning.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Then you shouldn't have given the I don't know option.

Benching then trading Shultz seems to be the real beginning.

I also wanted to see how many people were too chicken to put out a real opinion. ;)

jeg

Jun 16, 2015
Nope, We love to pour it on after the games no longer matter. We are starting to get the right pieces and thats navigating the style of play better.
Admittedly i liked seeing Hall and Eberle engaged in the rough stuff and chirping

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I voted I don't know. Probably should have voted no. I think the true turning point will be when we fill out the defense with 6 dmen playing where they should be. Need two more guys for that to happen.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Point is to answer now so that you can see whether you were right or wrong.

Thats a prediction.
You are asking if yesterday was a 'real' turning point. That requires more information IMO so I have to agree with Ninety7.

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
I won't declare a turning point until they win games that matter.

Every year they show they can win when it doesn't matter anymore.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I voted I don't know. Probably should have voted no. I think the true turning point will be when we fill out the defense with 6 dmen playing where they should be. Need two more guys for that to happen.

I guess it depends on your definition of turning point.

Mine personally is seeing that this team is finally not playing like a chicken **** on ice, afraid of their opponent's shadows and Jedi mind tricks. The point when this team's psychology feeds positively into their confidence on a consistent basis is the real turning point, IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad