Was Wideman Blacklisted?

illpucks

May 26, 2011
His point totals were in the same range for the last 5 or so seasons. He's only 35 (young to retire). Did the linesman incident effectively make no other team want to sign him?

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
He was also making 5 million a year. How much of a paycut was he willing to take. He isn't young and he isn't particularly good.

Thrive

Scoish Velociraptor Maloish
Jan 10, 2009
Massachusetts
Which team(s) do you think Wideman would have been a fit?

That’s not a challenge, I’m genuinely interested.

I personally don’t think they “blacklisted” him but likely no team wanted that type of distraction in their clubhouse. It also says a lot about the person to do what he did - not sure that’s the type of character you would want hanging around youngsters or around any team that has any type of shot at success. But I could be wrong - certainly won’t be my first or last time.

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Yes he was.

He will soon appear as a masked hockey player; simply known as The Midnight Rider........

And no one will know who he is; "IF YOU WEEL .....!"

hqdefault.jpg

Reactions: Bun cook and Sol

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
He was a bottom pairing defenceman that came with baggage....no blacklisting necessary.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
I don't know how he was in Calgary but the guy was brutal in Washington, he was slow, he was prone to turnovers at terrible time, he was an absolute defensive liability every time he was on the ice. Point totals be damned the guy was not a great defenseman in my opinion and his contract with Calgary is mind blowing. There was a reason the Caps traded his rights away for a guy they had no intention of signing, I suspect the rest of the league wised up. If you're good enough to play in this league people will give you a shot see Bertuzzi and Mike Richards

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
No excuse for hitting a ref like that, but come on, in the post-incident litigation Henderson claimed to have suffered a litany of injuries that couldn't be proven in court. That's corny man, what a softie.

No I don't think wideman got blacklisted out of the league. He's just way over the hill.

El Cohiba

Jul 3, 2011
under the sunshine
I don't think so. He is long past his prime and at his age (35-36) you're getting to the point where only the elite, smart, and genetically gifted individuals stick around.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
He was an older player, prone to defensive lapses and was a poor skater. It was unlikely he was going to get a contract without the ref stuff. The Flames calling out officials for the "Wideman effect" effectively eliminated any small possibility there was of him getting a contract.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Yeah, because he sucks and can't skate anymore.

A 300lb beer leaguer could outskate Wideman his last season.

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
His point totals were in the same range for the last 5 or so seasons. He's only 35 (young to retire). Did the linesman incident effectively make no other team want to sign him?

There's actually only about a couple dozen players in The NHL who are 35 or older.

So in todays game, 35 is much older than one might think...

The guys like Jagr, Cullen, and Chara who still play, or played this year at 40 or older? Amazing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad