Was trading Spezza addition by subtraction?

Niv

Registered Hater
Sep 22, 2009
Ottawa
Was trading Jason Spezza actually beneficial for us in the long haul, despite the trade return being underwhelming? It looks like Zibanejad and Turris have really stepped up in his absence

In a similar way, I think Phillips' absence has done the same thing for younger defencemen, especially Wiercioch, as Spezza's absence has done for Zibby and Turris.

LuckyPierre

Jul 1, 2010
The removal of Jared Cowen from the lineup prior to sweeping California, and for the vast majority of this streak, is a clearer instance of addition by subtraction.

I created this during last years Jared Cowen discussion thread. Looks appropriate now.

45224908.jpg

FlyingJ

Feb 25, 2014
The removal of Jared Cowen from the lineup prior to sweeping California, and for the vast majority of this streak, is a clearer instance of addition by subtraction.

Agreed. Hopefully this stretch makes it clear to Murray that trading Cowen is something to seriously consider, as opposed to just thinking he'll inevitably become good because he's big and can hit hard.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
It's easy to summarize IMO.

Cameron wants them to play a 5 man unit going into the offensive zone and a 5 man unit coming back into the defensive zone.

Can anyone picture Spezza adhering to that for a full game, let alone a full season or more?

I love Spezza, he did a lot for us, but this type of player is on the downtrend in the NHL big time.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I'm not sure they're on the downtrend, two way players who can also score have always been more coveted. When Yzerman sacrificed points to become a more rounded player it turned him into the most liked and respected players of all time. There's also a reason why Alfie is so beloved during his tenure here. Sacrificing a little bit of scoring to be able to defend is always going to be more sought after.

The only player I can really think of that got a pass was Pavel Bure because he may have been just the most amazing pure scorer of all time.

LuckyPierre

Jul 1, 2010
Agreed. Hopefully this stretch makes it clear to Murray that trading Cowen is something to seriously consider, as opposed to just thinking he'll inevitably become good because he's big and can hit hard.

Something something Zdeno Chara derpity derp can't teach size yada yada wait 'til he's 30!

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
We have too many D and we know there was interest in Cowen at the deadline

Weircioch, no matter how much I hate him, has earned the top 4 position while Cowen has managed to lose it and the coach's confidence

I wouldn't be surprised if he was traded in the off season

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
I'm not sure they're on the downtrend, two way players who can also score have always been more coveted. When Yzerman sacrificed points to become a more rounded player it turned him into the most liked and respected players of all time. There's also a reason why Alfie is so beloved during his tenure here. Sacrificing a little bit of scoring to be able to defend is always going to be more sought after.

The only player I can really think of that got a pass was Pavel Bure because he may have been just the most amazing pure scorer of all time.

I guess I should have put a caveat in there: if you're going to be a one dimensional player, you better be damn good to survive in this league. I can't stand those type of players anymore personally, I need to see the effort at both ends of the ice - and when it works, you win.

BigBush*

We have too many D and we know there was interest in Cowen at the deadline

Weircioch, no matter how much I hate him, has earned the top 4 position while Cowen has managed to lose it and the coach's confidence

I wouldn't be surprised if he was traded in the off season

Holy, if you're saying this then Cowen must truly be on his way out

blahblah3

Jan 8, 2010
I guess I should have put a caveat in there: if you're going to be a one dimensional player, you better be damn good to survive in this league. I can't stand those type of players anymore personally, I need to see the effort at both ends of the ice - and when it works, you win.

Yes. Thing about Spezza is that if he had entered the league about 5-10 years earlier he would probably go down as one of the greatest Canadian players ever. Problem was that he was an 80s-90s styled, one dimensional player entering the league when guys like Crosby, Toews, Getzlaf, Tavares etc were about to break in and change what it means to play in the NHL and be "elite". Heatley was obviously like that too. Bad timing as it was a transitional phase in the NHL.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
We did the right thing in trading Spezza and looks like we might make the playoffs and Dallas will miss it.

Dysentery

Ottawa Senators
Sep 14, 2011
New Brunswick
Yes in videogame hockey Spezza makes the team better.

Yes Spezza has more skill and talent than most our forwards.

But in Ottawa, in 2015, after being here since his career started, he would not have made this team better.

Spezza and Ottawa needed to part for the betterment of both.

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
If we kept Spezza then I would have the lines combinations as following..

Hoffman - Zibby - Ryan

MacArthur - Turris - Stone

Michalek - Spezza - Puempel

Condra - Pageau - Lazar

For sure Stone or Hoffman would be with him. But I think because of his not so great line mates fir the past couple season didn't make him want to stay.

TonySoprano11

It's a very delicate situation.
Apr 8, 2006
Hayden, ID
It feels nice to see so many of you eating Crow. Myself, and others, were crucified last year and during the offseason when we kept saying trading Spezza would be addition by subtraction. Hence the "spezza for a bag of puck" trade offers.

It's not that Spezza isnt a very good player, his time was just up here and he, as a cog, no longer fit as part of the machine we were turning into.

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
Something doesn't work here.

We did a 1 for 1 Neil/Chiasson at the deadline. :sarcasm:

We did the right thing in trading Spezza and looks like we might make the playoffs and Dallas will miss it.

I didn't know people actually thought like this.

I guess Aflie made the right choice, last year Detroit made the playoffs and Ottawa missed. Never mind the fact that Ottawa would have probably taken Detroit's spot with the last spot if Alfie stayed here.

We missed the playoffs by 5 points last year, and we are in last wildcard spot right now. oh wow what a huge addition.

Some of you are acting like we're about to win the President's Trophy..

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
His no contact pond hockey can F right off. His teams have never won anything and I doubt they ever will. He was one of the most skilled players in hockey but he was never willing to go the extra mile and do what it takes to win.
Sacrifice to Spezza is to demand being traded to a "better team" he did it in Junior and he did it in the NHL. He wants other people to do all the hard work.
Never liked his style never will. Glad he is gone

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Spezza would make this team better short term and only under cameron not under maclean. He didnt work with how maclean wanted to play. Theres a lot more open ice with how cameron has the team breaking out and spezza wouldnt have to spend much time in his own zone. The quick breakouts would let him showcase his skill more. Long term if he was resigned it would cause some serious money problems and hamper zibanejad's development. Theres also the case that spezza is declining and his contract might not look great a few years from now. I'm fairly confident spezza would have worked great with Cameron's style. We'd see tons of spectacular plays and his offensive be good.

Short term he'd be great. After two years into his next contract we might start having problems

BigBush*

His no contact pond hockey can F right off. His teams have never won anything and I doubt they ever will. He was one of the most skilled players in hockey but he was never willing to go the extra mile and do what it takes to win.
Sacrifice to Spezza is to demand being traded to a "better team" he did it in Junior and he did it in the NHL. He wants other people to do all the hard work.

this is very harsh but it's how i feel as well

WhiteLight*

257c6b63c49e3f0b8d4f0bd1a7905577.jpg

he's a nice guy though

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad