Was trading Spezza addition by subtraction?

Karlsson2Turris*

Was trading Jason Spezza actually beneficial for us in the long haul, despite the trade return being underwhelming? It looks like Zibanejad and Turris have really stepped up in his absence, and giving Karlsson the C looks like a great move.

Also, shedding his salary will allow us to lock up our younger players in the future, and will gve is cap flexibility in the future.

Not trying to hate on Spezza here, he is still a good player. But as of now, it seems this move has really paid off for us.

LoneSteele

Mar 5, 2011
Edmonton, AB
I have a ton of respect for Spezza and will miss having him on my team - but I believe you're probably right. Giving Zibanejad and Turris the opportunity to step up seems like it is starting to pay off and they're rounding into the players we hoped they would.

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
Spezza is one of my favourite senators of all time but it was time to move on. His style just doesn't fit the kind of style a budget team needs to play. It was also absolutely essential for Zibanejad's development. The return pretty much sucked for the calibre of player that we gave away, but we're a better team this year than we were last year so I'm over it. Hopefully Nick Paul continues to develop well and we make good use out of that second pick.

BigBush*

Clearly yes. Mainly because It allowed Zib and Pageau to take on bigger roles on the team which they have done really well with. But I'd rather Spezza talk not be brought up right now haha.

Also, we are VERY far from knowing if the trade was underwhelming.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
we have definitely improved 5 on 5, less turnovers and our younger players seem to have gained valuable experience which is needed moving forward

at the same time our powerplay has been ****

so i would say yes its an addition by subtraction but not by as much as some people will state

BigBush*

Lots of talk about Turris and Zibby but don't forget Pageau is centring one of the best 3rd lines in the league right now and is one of the best PKers. He wouldn't of gotten that chance with Spezza still here

Tragedy

Jan 10, 2013
Regina, SK
Spezza is one of my favourite senators of all time but it was time to move on. His style just doesn't fit the kind of style a budget team needs to play. It was also absolutely essential for Zibanejad's development. The return pretty much sucked for the calibre of player that we gave away, but we're a better team this year than we were last year so I'm over it. Hopefully Nick Paul continues to develop well and we make good use out of that second pick.

The thing is though, whoever trades away the best player in the deal usually loses. Like look back at what Washington gave up for Jagr in 99 or 2000 or whenever it was. Its laughable. The Seguin trade is another example. It isn't very often that you are going to win those trades on the player for player basis. It comes down to making the most of the reason you traded that player, be it salary or creating room for young players to grow or what have you.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Enormous addition by subtraction. The biggest/best move Ottawa made all summer. The style of the team has changed, the leadership group is much better and plays the way you want the rest of the team to play our centers got bigger roles and most importantly in a deep draft year so that if they didnt work out we'd be compensated with high pick.

It was the perfect time to trade him, aside from 3 years ago when we could have gotten Johansen but that's 20/20.

Dont get me wrong, Spezza was a terrific player for us. 3 years ago one of the best players in the entire league but injuries ruined him. He morphed his game 3 years ago and was actually quite good in all 3 zones with everything considered.

But the time was done. The start of a new era begins with Karlsson behind the wheel.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Bottom line is it was time for a change for Spezza and the Sens too. I'm happy the 2nd

rounder we got in the deal will be below 40 probably which is very encouraging and in

a deep draft this will be a good player. Paul has grown so much since he got here and

good job on Sens scouting to spot a guy that wasn't even close to being amongst the

top prospects in Dallas. The change of culture has been great and I don't feel like we

could've done it with Spezza. We have a bunch of young players that need some

guidance and Spezza may be a good guy off the ice but he was not a very good

example on the ice, not at all in fact and especially defensively. To say we didn't

miss Spezza this year would be wrong though, he was really the catalyst on our PP

which has gone dry since the beginning of the season and I don't think it is just a

coincidence. Overall, I'm quite happy with the deal a year after.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
It was like losing Alfie. It made the team worse so that it could be better in 2-3 years.

Zibanejad and Pageau were never going to get enough playing time with Spezza and Turris in front of them.

Spezza's defensive play aside, the money allowed us to sign Legwand as well which, while it hasn't been great, gave us similar depth as if we had kept Spezza.

Both teams, I'm sure benefited. Dallas fans seem to love him.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
It's easy to think that it was when we are on an incredible tear

Our PP is still not good enough

No, trading Spezza was not addition by subtraction whatsoever

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
If Spezza were 25 it would be one thing, but Spezza at 30+ with the expectation of being a leader by example on the ice, it's just really a tough one to build a winner around. Our PP would be a bit better and it would be nice to have his scoring depth, no question, but given his salary and seniority, it would have been really hard - especially in a year or two - to have him as our 'C' and expect the team to compete for the Cup. The culture and identity of the team would have been far weaker, because we needed to hand the reigns over to the under 30 crowd of Karlsson, Turris and Ryan. We're on a better path with a balanced line-up that goes hard on the puck the entire game, and as Cameron emphasizes, plays like a 5-man unit in all three zones. That is tough enough with Karlsson at times, but would have been next to impossible with Spezza as our C.

He's in a good spot in Dallas and with Seguin and Benn on the first line, he's really in a pretty good position to have some success there in the next few years. A lot depends on how Dallas manages the cap though, because Spezza commands a lot of $'s for a 2nd liner center. And they have a number of other holes to fill.

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
The emergence of stone and hoffman has more to do with turning this team around than losing spezza. Imagine spezza feeding hoffman every night? We'd have a 50 goal scorer on the team.

If spezza had stayed and hoffman and stone emerged we'd probably be a better team overall.

Hoffman-Spezza-Ryan (still think this could have worked out)
Stone-Turris-MM
Mac-Zbad-Chiasson
Lazar-Pageau-Condra

god damn. What could have been.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
The reason Hoffman and Ryan so successful is cause Zibanejad has been very good defensively and uses his body to give them space. 2 of those things Spezza is terrible at. Not to mention Zibanejad flying out there recently with his speed and straight line hockey which helps Hoffman A LOT while Spezza goes east west but not that fast.

Stone might have worked with Spezza quite well but he's PPG with Turris just fine, lol. Again, Turris is very good defensively which eases things for a guy like Stone.

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
8th in the NHL in goals.

Lol, we good. Plus, 5on5 >>>>>>>>>>>> PP. Ask Philly how's 3rd in NHL on PP working out for em.

come on man. We've exploded offensively in the last week. We were 13th in GF before this huge jump we've seen.

We've scored 16 goals in the last 3 games. That's not going to happen every week.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
we have definitely improved 5 on 5, less turnovers and our younger players seem to have gained valuable experience which is needed moving forward

at the same time our powerplay has been ****

so i would say yes its an addition by subtraction but not by as much as some people will state

Ill agree with this.

Zibby has really upped his game since SPezza left, and I really wasn't sure if he was capable of doing so, in fact i doubted that he was ready. He struggled for a while at the start of the year, but he;s been playing great for a while now, its really nice to see. Im always glad to be proven wrong when the Sens benefit.

But as you said, where the Sens really miss SPezza is on the powerplay. Everything goes through Karlsson now, and its too easy to predict. Spezza on the halfwall just gave that powerplay another huge threat. With all that open ice and time Spezza could work his magic.

Hopefully they get the powerplay going . . . and hopefully it doesn't take a free agent to make it happen.

BBPP

120615_PerryPearn.jpg

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
The reason Hoffman and Ryan so successful is cause Zibanejad has been very good defensively and uses his body to give them space. 2 of those things Spezza is terrible at. Not to mention Zibanejad flying out there recently with his speed and straight line hockey which helps Hoffman A LOT while Spezza goes east west but not that fast.

Stone might have worked with Spezza quite well but he's PPG with Turris just fine, lol. Again, Turris is very good defensively which eases things for a guy like Stone.

Zbad is fine defensively, but he's not 'very good'.

Spezza is actually decent defensively, he had ONE bad year, where I admit, he was terrible.

And there's few that are better than Spezza at using their size to create space.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
come on man. We've exploded offensively in the last week. We were 13th in GF before this huge jump we've seen.

We've scored 16 goals in the last 3 games. That's not going to happen every week.

At the end of the day we're still 8th, whether cause of a hot streak or not.

Zbad is fine defensively, but he's not 'very good'.

Spezza is actually decent defensively, he had ONE bad year, where I admit, he was terrible.

And there's few that are better than Spezza at using their size to create space.

I believe Zib is very good defensively. Not excellent but real good. When's last time you said "Damn Zib bad defensively play" or "Zib didnt get his man" I realize i say that for Turris more than Zib.

Also, Spezza was at his best when he had someone else doing the dirty work and going in boards first like Alfie, Greening and to lesser extent Milo. Zibanejad does it himself. Spezza is spectacular at protecting the puck but creating space is something else entirely. It's driving the net to create more ice for your team and being physical to keep a couple players out the play.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Was trading Jason Spezza actually beneficial for us in the long haul, despite the trade return being underwhelming? It looks like Zibanejad and Turris have really stepped up in his absence, and giving Karlsson the C looks like a great move.

Also, shedding his salary will allow us to lock up our younger players in the future, and will gve is cap flexibility in the future.

Not trying to hate on Spezza here, he is still a good player. But as of now, it seems this move has really paid off for us.

The thing is the $$$$. If we keep Spezza we minus Legwand for sure and maybe Prince, Puempel get called up earlier with no Chiasson.

It would change things. We likely start season better with more scoring and don't go on this crazy run. Have a better PP all season.

I think Hoffman, Stone, Pageau emerge regardless they were over ripe.

I question whether it is addition by subtraction starting this season. (Though I can respect that opinion), but going forward for 5 years we don't have $7 million tied up in an aging more one dimensional star with a bad back. I like Spezza. Long term we are likely better without him though. To those many that don't like him... Like the Dentist I went to this afternoon who roasted Spezza a ton despite him not even being here this year... This is likely sweet.

Spezza would have made whatever his wingers were this season score a lot of goals.

I liked Spezza. I like all the Sens. I don't see the point of being negative about Spezza now. He did a lot for this team and city for a dozen years.

As much as it changes everything Spezza, Zibanejad, Turris, Pageau is a sick 4 centres. Sick. 3 #1 quality centres and Pageau? All our wingers would rock.

Ensure Ryan, Spezza and Stone are on different lines and you have 3 good scoring lines.

Last edited:

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa

Or maybe the problem was the previous coach and his system?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad