Proposal: WAS-TOR

Jun 15, 2007
To TOR

Matt Niskanen, 5.75m for 2 more years.

To WAS

Andreas Johnsson, RFA

Toronto desperately needs an RD. Niskanen is just one year removed from being the number 1 shutdown defender on the Stanley Cup champions. He hasn't been great this year though, why is why he might be available.

Toronto also has too many skilled young forwards. It makes sense to trade one of them.

Washington is likely losing Connolly and will need a young cheap winger to replace him. Washington has no forward prospects so will need to acquire said player via trade or FA.

Washington is also overflowing with defense prospects and recently acquired Jensen so are very much dealing from a position of strength.

Joel Ward

Sep 24, 2012
Toronto
Niskanen would be a terrific add for the Leafs. Trade wouldn't work cap wise for them though.

I also don't know that Johnsson is going to be all that much cheaper than Connolly.

Jun 15, 2007
Niskanen would be a terrific add for the Leafs. Trade wouldn't work cap wise for them though.

I also don't know that Johnsson is going to be all that much cheaper than Connolly.

What numbers are you projecting for Johnsson? Because I think Connolly gets 4-5 in UFA.

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
On first glance just value wise it makes some sense. Although the leafs would like someone younger. Not the worst effort but don't think it's a fit due to age and contracts.

Christ

Mar 10, 2004
Canada
Cap wise can't see the Leafs being able to do this without moving other pieces out first. Not sure if the caps would want to move Niskanen

Reactions: zaqq

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Would prefer to move Niskanen for futures as the Caps need the cap room to keep Connolly and Burakovsky and moving Niskanen for a roster player doesn't make a ton of sense in that regard.

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
To TOR

Matt Niskanen, 5.75m for 2 more years.

To WAS

Andreas Johnsson, RFA

Toronto desperately needs an RD. Niskanen is just one year removed from being the number 1 shutdown defender on the Stanley Cup champions. He hasn't been great this year though, why is why he might be available.

Toronto also has too many skilled young forwards. It makes sense to trade one of them.

Washington is likely losing Connolly and will need a young cheap winger to replace him. Washington has no forward prospects so will need to acquire said player via trade or FA.

Washington is also overflowing with defense prospects and recently acquired Jensen so are very much dealing from a position of strength.

easy pass for the Leafs because LW is weaker than RD, and $$$
Leafs get rid of Johnsson, and then their LW depth is Marleau, and Hyman (who is a RHS) and cap space, until Marleau deal expires.
next year will be tight, but the 20/21 year will be the year to stock up

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Would prefer to move Niskanen for futures as the Caps need the cap room to keep Connolly and Burakovsky and moving Niskanen for a roster player doesn't make a ton of sense in that regard.
And what would expect back if you traded Nisk for futures? The Muzzin deal as a comparable?

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
And what would expect back if you traded Nisk for futures? The Muzzin deal as a comparable?

That would be ideal. The Caps have a ton of defensive prospects but really nothing in the pipeline as far as top six forward prospects. I think Nick Jensen could do a lot of what Niskanen does at a lower price tag. Also, among other defensive prospects, they have Chase Priskie who is a RHD and a Hobey Baker finalist at Quinnipiac who will be a UFA if he doesn't sign by Aug 15. Moving Niskanen frees up cap space and opens a roster slot for the logjam of defensive guys waiting in the wings which may entice Priskie to stay with the club as opposed to signing somewhere else that could give him a clearer path to the NHL.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Would probably do it if we can move cap (Marleau +/- Brown/Zaitsev)

I'm a fan of Johnsson, but I'm also a fan of Niskanen and recognize our needs defensively on the right side.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Would probably do it if we can move cap (Marleau +/- Brown/Zaitsev)

I'm a fan of Johnsson, but I'm also a fan of Niskanen and recognize our needs defensively on the right side.

Leafs can afford him, but it's just next year that they're tight against the cap as you said.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Leafs face a cap crunch next season (though after that things are less of an issue) so i can’t see them adding 5 million in salary on another forward

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Cap wise can't see the Leafs being able to do this without moving other pieces out first. Not sure if the caps would want to move Niskanen
Realistically the front office is probably content, but I don't think they're married to him. He's had a down year and that compounded with that there is a bit of a log jam at D makes him expendable.

Truth be told though even though GMBM has shown he can be pretty cut throat regarding players, he also has demonstrated a strong loyalty to his veteran d-men (Orpik/Niskanen).

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Realistically the front office is probably content, but I don't think they're married to him. He's had a down year and that compounded with that there is a bit of a log jam at D makes him expendable.

Truth be told though even though GMBM has shown he can be pretty cut throat regarding players, he also has demonstrated a strong loyalty to his veteran d-men (Orpik/Niskanen).
I want to throw my hat in as one Caps fan that disagrees on both points.
The Caps have a bevy of D prospects but that’s what they are, prospects. The Caps D depth is being dramatically overstated in this thread, in general. The Caps just jettisoned Bowey for basically nothing, so the organization is obviously comfortable with their prospect Depth on D but I wouldn’t go a single step beyond that. I mean look at what Kempny’s absence is doing to the team.

Niskanen is an NHL DMan even in a down year and an easy Top 4 any year. Those are not interchangeable nor easily replaceable.

Johnsson does not move the needle for me when it comes to subtracting from the Caps current D depth in place of forcing an untested rookie over their heads (see, Bowey, M as referenced above).

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
I want to throw my hat in as one Caps fan that disagrees on both points.
The Caps have a bevy of D prospects but that’s what they are, prospects. The Caps D depth is being dramatically overstated in this thread, in general. The Caps just jettisoned Bowey for basically nothing, so the organization is obviously comfortable with their prospect Depth on D but I wouldn’t go a single step beyond that. I mean look at what Kempny’s absence is doing to the team.

Niskanen is an NHL DMan even in a down year and an easy Top 4 any year. Those are not interchangeable nor easily replaceable.

Johnsson does not move the needle for me when it comes to subtracting from the Caps current D depth in place of forcing an untested rookie over their heads (see, Bowey, M as referenced above).
I disagree with the notion that prospects equate to guys who are essentially all potential and zero talent realized. The Capitals have several guys sitting in Hershey right now that have played NHL time and looked good doing so. To portray them as being nothing more than draft picks or guys who aren't ready is disingenuous.

Bowey had been in a standstill regarding progress for 2 years, he's not comparable to guys like Siegenthaler and Lewington who have played NHL minutes and showed promise. Dare I say Bowey never really earned his shot at the lineup, he was just a touted prospect that had done his time and was given a roster spot because it was available. Siegenthaler arguably has played better hockey than a couple of the Caps mainstays, he's likely earned an extended shot at the roster next year.

Lastly, good team take leaps of faith on prospects to fill in their roster. They do not wait for the dead and decrepit hands of a veteran to release his stick before handing it off.

A large part of the Capitals success last year was that they were able to fill the roles of veterans like Williams, Alzner, and Johansson with young guys like Vrana, Stephenson, and Djoos.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad