Was the 2020 NHL draft lottery rigged?

Did the NHL and Ernst & Young make sure a mystery team won first overall?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Ernst & Young is getting paid at a rate they are satisfied with do this. If they don't do it, that revenue is gone and there aren't a lot of other similar venues to make up that loss.

The answer ton the question "why would they risk their rep?" is always "because they think it is worth it and they believe they won't get caught".

It is a fair question to ask: getting caught would be a serious blow to the rep, but how would they get caught if this was rigged? Rigging an event like this wouldn't be complicated or implicate a lot of people.
They are a $36.4B company. $36.4B. They roughly have the revenue of the NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL, and the Premier League combined. And that's in a year when sports aren't ravaged by a pandemic. Do you realize how inconsequential the money they make off of the NHL lottery is?

Their risking their reputation to rig the lottery would be like a college professor risking their job to help Joe Stoner cheat on a test because Joe offered them some weed.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
You have not made a reasonable case. You would know why if you understood the way companies like Ernst and Young operate.

I have enough life experience to know to not take things for granted at face-value (not that you don't, I'm just stating my belief).

That doesn't make my skepticism correct of course. I just don't really buy the authoritative argument "if you knew X then you wouldn't believe Y".

Maybe the NHL was more transparent in how they showed the process you'd have a point. As it stands all we have is a promise that it isn't rigged and the track record of the NHL draft lottery doesn't do anything to help me believe that.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
I have enough life experience to know to not take things for granted at face-value (not that you don't, I'm just stating my belief).

That doesn't make my skepticism correct of course. I just don't really buy the authoritative argument "if you knew X then you wouldn't believe Y".

Maybe the NHL was more transparent in how they showed the process you'd have a point. As it stands all we have is a promise that it isn't rigged and the track record of the NHL draft lottery doesn't do anything to help me believe that.
You mean like if there was a video?

Like this one?

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
The devils have won several draft lotteries.... you're own reasoning doesn't even make sense.

A team located in one of the richest areas in the world, with a good track record (three cups) and with weak attendance.

The NHL stands to gain a lot if the Devils become popular got a superstar.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Likely because the NHL determined that it didn't make for particularly exciting TV. I can't imagine why.

That's the presentation, it doesn't have to be presented this way.

Also I'm well aware that there are videos of the draft lotteries, them not being live does nothing to alleviate my concerns of optics: we still have to take their word and the track record doesn't fill me with confidence.

This is the first year I honestly feel that it is rigged; I did not believe this in previous years.

Still, the poll is rather overwhelming: I'm in a minority position so it is settled.

Last edited:

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Talk about bad faith.

The thread has run its course. I believed more people felt it was rigged but that is clearly not the case.

Thread can be closed.

Thank you

Bad faith? You said New Jersey was a darling of the league because they were in a rich area. Did you forget when the league took our first round pick after making an example out of the kovalchuk contract? After looking the other way for other teams?

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Bad faith? You said New Jersey was a darling of the league because they were in a rich area. Did you forget when the league took our first round pick after making an example out of the kovalchuk contract? After looking the other way for other teams?

Dude, I'm not arguing that League is some sinister cabal that tries to control everything from behind the curtain.

I'm not interested in arguing if New Jersey is or isn't a rich area. I don't engage with bad faith arguments.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Dude, I'm not arguing that League is some sinister cabal that tries to control everything from behind the curtain.

I'm not interested in arguing if New Jersey is or isn't a rich area. I don't engage with bad faith arguments.

By arguing that the league would risk its credibility just to "keep things exciting" is arguing that the league wants to control everything.

Also, how is pointing out that Newark is not a rich area a bad faith argument?

Emerz

#1 PLD Fanboy
Jun 5, 2013
Nova Scotia
No, EY didn't rig the NHL lottery lmao. Next up they can get Deloitte to do it and there would still be people thinking it was rigged.

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
The devils have won several draft lotteries.... you're own reasoning doesn't even make sense.
He's adapting the reasoning so that it makes sense. If the Coyotes had won the Matthews draft, there would be people still claiming it was rigged to award them a franchise local player. It doesn't matter what teams win, it's possible to make conclusions like that for a lot (the majority) of teams.

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
Likely because the NHL determined that it didn't make for particularly exciting TV. I can't imagine why.
To add a bit more, assuming there weren't reps from each of the 7 non play-in teams on location due to the pandemic, I am sure they were shown this live (usually, there are reps IN the room when the balls are drawn) with ways to prove it was indeed live and not a recording. These people are the only ones that need to see this live. Fans don't need to.

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
Ernst & Young is getting paid at a rate they are satisfied with do this. If they don't do it, that revenue is gone and there aren't a lot of other similar venues to make up that loss.

The answer ton the question "why would they risk their rep?" is always "because they think it is worth it and they believe they won't get caught".

It is a fair question to ask: getting caught would be a serious blow to the rep, but how would they get caught if this was rigged? Rigging an event like this wouldn't be complicated or implicate a lot of people.
Rigging an event like this IS actually complicated with all the protocoles/procedures in place that basically allow lottery participants to audit what the NHL is doing. The teams would need to be in this too (i'm sure the owners of those teams would agree to forfeit the chance at a 1st overall pick) for that to happen. As said before, E&Y most likely doesn't care if they lose a client like the NHL. And if they did lose the NHL as a client for refusing to rig the lottery, you can bet the NHL would be in big, big trouble legally.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
If the Oilers or Pens lose the play in round and get the top pick, then yes 100%.

Tho of course in 2020 we get the biggest lottery jump in history :laugh:

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Rigging an event like this IS actually complicated with all the protocoles/procedures in place that basically allow lottery participants to audit what the NHL is doing. The teams would need to be in this too (i'm sure the owners of those teams would agree to forfeit the chance at a 1st overall pick) for that to happen. As said before, E&Y most likely doesn't care if they lose a client like the NHL. And if they did lose the NHL as a client for refusing to rig the lottery, you can bet the NHL would be in big, big trouble legally.

This is something I was not aware of: teams can "audit" the results?

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
This is something I was not aware of: teams can "audit" the results?
I have no idea what they did this year. Probably a live video stream. But usually, there are representatives of each participating team in the room who have the combinations on hand before the numbers are drawn. I'm sure they are at some point (before the balls are locked in the suitcase or after) allowed to check and weight the balls.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Absolutely zero chance. I can't believe how many people don't realize that they outsource this to a VERY reputable firm. Why would the firm ruin it's reputation over something as insignificant as the NHL draft lottery?

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
I don't think it was rigged because a mystery team won.

I believe it was rigged because the draft lottery has rewarded rich teams or teams the NHL "likes".

It could be a coincidence. I just think it looks fishy but a lot of things that look fishy are just that, a coincidence.

My main point is optics: I get the feeling a lot of people feel the lottery is rigged. That doesn't mean you get rid of the lottery but it probably means the NHL should look at presenting it in a more transparent manner.

So like any team that isn’t your own?

It’s just like all the bs with the refs too.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
What possible reason would Ernst & Young have to not tell the NHL to go pound sand and immediately drop them as a client if they told them that?
I don't think it was rigged, but it used to be a Big 5 of auditing firms until one of them were uncovered enabling illegal activity. And these companies become successful because they follow the wishes of their clients.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad