Post-Game Talk: WAS @ SJ | 2/11/15 | 10:30pm EST | Shark's in the water. Our shark.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Early on after Hillen replaced Schmidt, I thought that he'd be a decent 7th d-man used for spot duty and worth considering resigning for a similar salary. The more I see him, he's a bit like Perreault when he was with the Caps, good in small doses but exposed to him for too long and the warts start to appear.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Early on after Hillen replaced Schmidt, I thought that he'd be a decent 7th d-man used for spot duty and worth considering resigning for a similar salary. The more I see him, he's a bit like Perreault when he was with the Caps, good in small doses but exposed to him for too long and the warts start to appear.

In other words, a perfect 7th defenseman.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
In other words, a perfect 7th defenseman.

Maybe, maybe not, he's a LD and on the LD depth chart for next year you already have:
- Orpik
- Alzner
- Orlov
- Schmidt
- Schilling

It's really Orlov's injury that may dictate how they want to proceed. If Orlov is a no go and Schmidt is the LD on the third pair, I'm more incline to make Schilling who'll be an RFA currently earning .625, the 7 d-man, he'll be cheaper than Hillen even if its just a $100,000 or so.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions

The criminal underrating of Perreault continues. He was our 1C for over half a season and we made the playoffs. Hillen struggles playing the most sheltered minutes. Big difference.

He is a good 7th defenseman if he only has to suit up 8-10 games a year.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
The criminal underrating of Perreault continues. He was our 1C for over half a season and we made the playoffs. Hillen struggles playing the most sheltered minutes. Big difference.

He is a good 7th defenseman if he only has to suit up 8-10 games a year.

PRO had some good games when he was with the Caps, especially remember when he scored the hat trick against Boston when Ovechkin had just got suspended. But let's not be delusional, the Perreault you now see with the Jets was not the Perreault we had seen. Maybe it had something to do with how Oates/Hunter/Boudreau used him, but he would have a few productive games and then he'd pull a Judge Crater for a stretch. He was inconsistent.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
PRO had some good games when he was with the Caps, especially remember when he scored the hat trick against Boston when Ovechkin had just got suspended. But let's not be delusional, the Perreault you now see with the Jets was not the Perreault we had seen. Maybe it had something to do with how Oates/Hunter/Boudreau used him, but he would have a few productive games and then he'd pull a Judge Crater for a stretch. He was inconsistent.

There's only room for rocks of consistency like Johansson, Brouwer, Laich and Ward over here.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions

MP was better than he's given credit for, and he was young. I was figuratively standing on a table banging pots and pans telling people MP should have been given a long hard look at 2C. Even if not at 2C, he'd certainly be useful on the roster now. How about MP-Kuz-Brouwer? It was one of many ****** decisions that bled offensive talent off this roster.

There's only room for rocks of consistency like Johansson, Brouwer, Laich and Ward over here.

So true.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Quite a bit of revisionist history going on with MP. He wasn't the same player with Washington as he was with Anaheim/is with Winnipeg.

He'd certainly help us now, and the trade return was a joke.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
Quite a bit of revisionist history going on with MP. He wasn't the same player with Washington as he was with Anaheim/is with Winnipeg.

The ESP #s don't lie. Especially in the context of his linemates and icetime. He was used poorly and never treated as a prospect for whatever reason. There was no development plan; he was just stuck haphazardly throughout the lineup.

He's a lot like Eric Fehr in that regard. Like Fehr, he also seemed to step up his game in the playoffs and score timely goals. The development of both players in a larger, more consistent role should surprise no one.

Bure

Jan 3, 2011
Ottawa, Ontario
Experience is only beneficial when you apply what you've learned form it in a positive manner. Hillen's decision making doesn't indicate he's doing that.

True but what else can we point to? There have been players who played better in his spot yet he keeps getting the nod. Trotz likes him back from his Preds days.

Last edited:

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Perreault lost his 2C spot to Bonino, and then Anaheim let Perreault walk for nothing when they could have easily kept him.
Winnipeg converted Perreault to wing.

Perreault was never, and continues to not be, a 2C on a contending team. Pro-rating ESG/ESP doesn't mean they're automatically going to translate into even more production in an increased role.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
The ESP #s don't lie. Especially in the context of his linemates and icetime. He was used poorly and never treated as a prospect for whatever reason. There was no development plan; he was just stuck haphazardly throughout the lineup.

He's a lot like Eric Fehr in that regard. Like Fehr, he also seemed to step up his game in the playoffs and score timely goals. The development of both players in a larger, more consistent role should surprise no one.
The ESP #'s don't show how he'd disappear for a half dozen games.

Again, I think it was obviously a mistake to send him out for nothing, but let's not make him out to be something he wasn't.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions

I disagree. People wrongfully called him useless and expendable when in fact he was young and developing. It's why I get frustrated with the criticisms of Wilson, Burt, Kuz, and the other young'ins. We have no patience in developing players as a fan base or as a franchise. He was certainly a useful player then, and he'd be more so now.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Perreault lost his 2C spot to Bonino, and then Anaheim let Perreault walk for nothing when they could have easily kept him.
Winnipeg converted Perreault to wing.

Perreault was never, and continues to not be, a 2C on a contending team. Pro-rating ESG/ESP doesn't mean they're automatically going to translate into even more production in an increased role.

He also played wing here. And 3C. It was stupid to get rid of him.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
He also played wing here. And 3C. It was stupid to get rid of him.
They needed to clear cap space to rush Tom Wilson into the NHL.

Absolutely, but I tend to think it's worth a look when you have the chance.
He was given an extended look in the top 6 when Backstrom was concussed. I guess management was not satisfied with what he displayed there, despite the ~50 point pace he had while in that role.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I hate McPhee. Traded Forsberg, then traded MP so he could destroy Wilson's development to justify his trading of Forsberg.

Adam Oates played a large role in both of those. Oates' handedness policy made the RW path of advancement difficult for Forsberg, and left a glaring need for a LH winger (Erat). Adam Oates also presumably wanted to keep Wilson up, and decided to convert Fehr and Erat to center, reducing Perreault's role to that of 4C/bench warmer.

If the team had kept Grabovski, losing Perreault wouldn't look nearly as bad as it does now.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
Adam Oates played a large role in both of those. Oates' handedness policy made the RW path of advancement difficult for Forsberg, and left a glaring need for a LH winger (Erat). Adam Oates also presumably wanted to keep Wilson up, and decided to convert Fehr and Erat to center, reducing Perreault's role to that of 4C/bench warmer.

If the team had kept Grabovski, losing Perreault wouldn't look nearly as bad as it does now.

**** McPhee twice for not just picking up Jokinen off of waivers.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions

I hate Oates as well. But more so McPhee. He hired Oates. He pulled the trigger on those trades. The blood is mostly on his hands.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
And all this discussion about Matty Perreault because I happened to mention that Jack Hillen reminded me a bit of him.:laugh:

Now about that Keystone Pipeline thing a ma jig.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad