Was Maclean a problem? New: Dean Brown contrasts Maclean and Cameron

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Here's Brown on Maclean. I found it well looking for salary info

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/brown-dave-cameron-is-the-opposite-of-paul-maclean-1.242746

Some really really good stuff

Phillips yelling at him in practice for no direction. His sarcastic attitude not liked by the players. Him wanting to run detroit's style from 5 years ago and not being open to change

Man this is some crazy stuff. He said 1000 games doesnt mean much in the presser before legwands 1000th game and then a younger player said in the locker room " why doesnt maclean just come in here and crap in phillips stall"

Some good stuff on what Cameron does.

He went to a 4th liner before the game in the locker room and asked him to tell another forward who was a top 6 forward what his role was and what he was going to do tonight

I need a truckload of salt for this. Have people already forgotten how much he leaned on the vets and how much faith he put in them? Total BS by a guy who likes listening to his own voice way too much.

Proust*

Dec 8, 2010
Why would Dean Brown go public with these things? My guess is MacLean and Brown had were not on good terms, and Brown is taking a healthy shot at him.

Busboy

Jul 29, 2011
I need a truckload of salt for this. Have people already forgotten how much he leaned on the vets and how much faith he put in them? Total BS by a guy who likes listening to his own voice way too much.

Did you listen to the clip? These would be strange stories for Dean Brown to fabricate. Keep in mind these are 1st hand accounts too from someone who tours with the team and has a good relationship with a lot of the staff and players.

Maclean leaned on his vets but that doesn't mean he was incapable of being a ****** to them off the ice.

None of the vets were complaining about ice time, they were complaining about a lack of direction, an old and crappy system and a general disrespectful attitude towards the players.

I'm not saying it's all 100% accurate but I don't see any reason to think these were lies.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Did you listen to the clip? These would be strange stories for Dean Brown to fabricate. Keep in mind these are 1st hand accounts too from someone who tours with the team and has a good relationship with a lot of the staff and players.

Maclean leaned on his vets but that doesn't mean he was incapable of being a ****** to them off the ice.

None of the vets were complaining about ice time, they were complaining about a lack of direction, an old and crappy system and a general disrespectful attitude towards the players.

I'm not saying it's all 100% accurate but I don't see any reason to think these were lies.

We saw how much better the exact same roster was under Cameron. This story does not seem like Brown is just saying negative stuff about Maclean.

It is a big reason I think the Leafs getting Babcock is a horrible, awful mistake. He is a jerk to players and arrogant. And relies on vets tremendously. While a great coach... He is going to be challenged tremendously with young players, a bad team. Easier to coach a vet-laden Wings team or Team Canada then a rebuild.

Old school coaching is really fading away.

I feel like Babcock will quit or get fired after 2/3 years and Toronto will eat 10's of millions of dollars.

Tyrant like coaches do not fly anymore. Players tune them out and are not interested in being motivated by sarcasm, derision, and autocratic nature.

Maclean, Babcock etc are not the crazy tyrants like Keenan or anything... But still far more old school then what can work for more then a short term basis.

Will Maclean or Babcock adapt and change? We will see.

Babcock should have gone to a vet team needing a boost and a challenge. Like say San Jose or Anaheim and for 2/3 years. Despite the ridiculous money... Really feel Babcock in a rebuild... With weak minded vets... Is a clusterf... Waiting to happen. Zets, Datsyuk, Kronwall are far different mentalities then Phaneuf/Kessel... If those guys stay... Motivating them through threats and draconian coaching seems to me to be a horrible idea. You might need to hold Kessel's hand.. Not strap his hand.

Glad I am not a Leafs fan.

Cameron might have seemed underwhelming when given the coaching spot... But now he looks really good. Openminded, honest, genuine, caring, supportive, communicative... Those seem like attributes of Cameron and not of Maclean. Heck Murray has been around forever and they describe him too. That is the recipe in the league today. If say Anderson, MacArthur, Karlsson, Phillips... Anyone can offer insight on a tactic, strategy, a particular players tendencies... Even practice drills... Listening to it and considering it is wise. Being a jerk and having a draconian my way or the highway mentality won't fly for that long... Especially with young guys that need confidence not fear of losing their jobs.

Some things Maclean did were masterful. He messed the Canadiens and their coach over... But if you lack soft skills... You can manipulate all you want... At some point the roster if million dollar players on guaranteed contracts don't want to be treated like children... They want to be respected and treated like adults.

arglebargle

Feb 27, 2008
Those stories are bad but ultimately I don't even care. MacLean's stupid roster decisions, constant line juggling and terrible ice-time allocation was more than enough reason to can him. He might have saved himself a few months by not being a huge db to everyone around him, but his boneheaded decisions would have done him in eventually.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I think Brown put a bit of ketchup on those stories

Clearly Maclean was much more part of the problem than anything else but does anyone have a clip or something of Maclean downplaying Legwand getting to game 1000? That just doesn't sound like something anyone would ever say

WhiteLight*

I don't know anyone would need a grain of salt with this... it's perfectly in line with the night and day difference with what we saw under Cameron.

Plus if Brown is lying, it's clear defamation.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
I think Brown put a bit of ketchup on those stories

Clearly Maclean was much more part of the problem than anything else but does anyone have a clip or something of Maclean downplaying Legwand getting to game 1000? That just doesn't sound like something anyone would ever say

The story is far too detailed for Brown to have made up. And Brown is a huge Sens personality employed by the team... Talking on TSN radio. He is not going to fabricate a detailed story when there would be so many people that would know he made it up, that Brown is accountable to to keep his job. The players, team management... TSN... Other media members, Fans.

No way Brown just made up this stuff. He may well dislike Maclean... And he might not tell that many stories out of school... And chose to say this one publically because he dislikes Maclean. He obviously did not make it up. Probably didn't even embelish it. Too detailed. Brown doesn't want to risk his job making stuff up or crazy embelishing stories either.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
The story is far too detailed for Brown to have made up. And Brown is a huge Sens personality employed by the team... Talking on TSN radio. He is not going to fabricate a detailed story when there would be so many people that would know he made it up, that Brown is accountable to to keep his job. The players, team management... TSN... Other media members, Fans.

No way Brown just made up this stuff. He may well dislike Maclean... And he might not tell that many stories out of school... And chose to say this one publically because he dislikes Maclean. He obviously did not make it up. Probably didn't even embelish it. Too detailed. Brown doesn't want to risk his job making stuff up or crazy embelishing stories either.

he also went on thaat rant about lieing in the NHL in another interview. Would he be such a huge hypocrite?

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
Man, this audio clip... Dean really does nail down exactly what happened with the coaching change. Definitely puts some things into perspective that you don't normally see as a fan.

I was skeptical of Cameron taking over, and his ability for long term success, but if that's the attitude he brings to the team, I'm really happy that he's going back behind the bench again next year.

That clip is from March 28 from Dean Brown, possibly the biggest brown noser in history, who did the exact same thing on Ottawa radio as soon as Maclean was fired. He seemed to exult in it and yapped away about how Maclean had lied-lied!!by not telling reporters exactly what the injuries were if a player could not play And more of the same old baloney.

He proclaimed that Cameron told them exactly what the injury was if a player could not play(that lasted maybe 4 or 5 games).

This is just the same old stuff from months ago from the same old gas bag. Nothing new or interesting here.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

He definitely did not make it all up, I said "added ketchup": I think he made it sound worse than it actually was

Again: where is this clip, audio or video, of Maclean saying Legwand getting to 1000 games is not a big deal?

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
That clip is from March 28 from Dean Brown, possibly the biggest brown noser in history, who did the exact same thing on Ottawa radio as soon as Maclean was fired. He seemed to exult in it and yapped away about how Maclean had lied-lied!!by not telling reporters exactly what the injuries were if a player could not play And more of the same old baloney.

He proclaimed that Cameron told them exactly what the injury was if a player could not play(that lasted maybe 4 or 5 games).

This is just the same old stuff from months ago from the same old gas bag. Nothing new or interesting here.

During that interview he also made it clear there was a distinction between the media and the players and ultimately despite his dissatisfaction with Maclean's handling of the media the media ultimately doesnt matter. I mean he actually didnt even bring up maclean at all. He was talking about Cameron and the host went on about how Maclean would lie and then Brown started recounting stories where maclean lied.

He did not go on and on about Cameron being honest as cameron had only coached one game at the time of that first interview. He went on about how Murray never would lie. He would just say no comment

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
During that interview he also made it clear there was a distinction between the media and the players and ultimately despite his dissatisfaction with Maclean's handling of the media the media ultimately doesnt matter. I mean he actually didnt even bring up maclean at all. He was talking about Cameron and the host went on about how Maclean would lie and then Brown started recounting stories where maclean lied.

He did not go on and on about Cameron being honest as cameron had only coached one game at the time of that first interview. He went on about how Murray never would lie. He would just say no comment

Well I dont know what interview you are talking about where he didn't bring up Maclean at all that must have been a different one as he want on a rant about Maclean that was way over the top.It was ugly as he seemed to be triumphant that someone had lost his job.

He was especially incensed that Maclean wouldn't tell them exactly what injurries the players had.Lies lies!! As though any team does that.

It was just a lot of spleen and gossip form a windbag who seems to have his own axe to grind.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Well I dont know what interview you are talking about where he didn't bring up Maclean at all that must have been a different one as he want on a rant about Maclean that was way over the top.It was ugly as he seemed to be triumphant that someone had lost his job.

He was especially incensed that Maclean wouldn't tell them exactly what injurries the players had.Lies lies!! As though any team does that.

It was just a lot of spleen and gossip form a windbag who seems to have his own axe to grind.

he wasnt the one who brought him up is what im saying the host did and then he recounted stroies of maclean lieing. The interview you are talking about is in the Cameron thread or this thread i believe

His gripe wasnt that he wouldnt tell injuries. He was very clear about that. He gripe was that he just didnt say no comment and chose to lie

He was actually sympathetic at the start saying its never a good day when someone loses their job

He also wantd to be clear that the media isnt important well the players and management are. He didnt want people to get the idea you got. That he was having an axe to grind. He even said he blamed himself for people getting that idea from some of his tweets because he didnt cite specific cases with players and maclean having a disconnect

I think it would be very hard for you to believe that maybe maclean wasnt well liked and doing things like this. You choose to defend him despite rumors and then Brown coming out and now citing specific instances of player discontent

Last edited:

Othello*

Very clear that MacLean wasn't well liked in Ottawa. It's a step in the right direction with Cameron and Turigniy teaching our young team

freddy61

Selfie
Jun 6, 2013
Up a tree
he wasnt the one who brought him up is what im saying the host did and then he recounted stroies of maclean lieing. The interview you are talking about is in the Cameron thread or this thread i believe

His gripe wasnt that he wouldnt tell injuries. He was very clear about that. He gripe was that he just didnt say no comment and chose to lie

He was actually sympathetic at the start saying its never a good day when someone loses their job

He also wantd to be clear that the media isnt important well the players and management are. He didnt want people to get the idea you got. That he was having an axe to grind. He even said he blamed himself for people getting that idea from some of his tweets because he didnt cite specific cases with players and maclean having a disconnect

I think it would be very hard for you to believe that maybe maclean wasnt well liked and doing things like this. You choose to defend him despite rumors and then Brown coming out and now citing specific instances of player discontent

With the Sun article on Lehner we now know Lehner was one of them. It was obvious early in the season 2 years in a row that MacLean was going to give Anderson the crease even when Lehner was on a run and there were rest days in between. It wouldn't be too difficult to guess 2 other guys possibly Cowen and Wiercioch. They had too many D's to keep everyone happy. It's fine if you win but when you lose..... The coach has to live with his decisions.

His old style systems were another matter. It was pretty obvious to astute media people and fans that he had the wrong personnel to play the old veteran laden Detroit style. Early on he lucked out with moderate success when he had no pressure and a bunch of hungry guys vying for jobs and contracts.

As to his quips and sarcasm it's fine in small doses but it gets old fast. A lot of us think Brown overdoes that too but he's media not the coach of our team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad