Was Maclean a problem? New: Dean Brown contrasts Maclean and Cameron

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
How much do we even pay him? I doubt it's in the millions.

However I do agree that it would be ridiculous for us to want compensation

The 'Stache did get a contract extension after his trophy win, so I'm pretty sure he makes at least $1 mil.

He'd probably get half that as an assistant (or less...many are in the $200-300k range). That's why it seems odd he would accept an assistant gig while still benign paid better dollars by Ottawa.....unless he thinks there's a good opportunity to nab the top job soon.

pm88

Mar 19, 2014
everywhere

I think that's a good spot for him. I remember reading around here that Edmonton had some interest in him... I don't think that would have been a good fit for him at all. I don't think he does well with younger players

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Here's Brown on Maclean. I found it well looking for salary info

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/brown-dave-cameron-is-the-opposite-of-paul-maclean-1.242746

Some really really good stuff

Phillips yelling at him in practice for no direction. His sarcastic attitude not liked by the players. Him wanting to run detroit's style from 5 years ago and not being open to change

Man this is some crazy stuff. He said 1000 games doesnt mean much in the presser before legwands 1000th game and then a younger player said in the locker room " why doesnt maclean just come in here and crap in phillips stall"

Some good stuff on what Cameron does.

He went to a 4th liner before the game in the locker room and asked him to tell another forward who was a top 6 forward what his role was and what he was going to do tonight

Last edited:

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
I don't have the source but I also thought his contract was more than 1 million. I think he was extended after his Jack Adams.

Yeah. There were some articles after that extension that said he was in the low seven figures.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
MacLean was a terrible hockey coach, one of the worst we've ever had.

Quite the fall from grace, he has gone from the best coach ever after beating the stinking Habs two yrs ago & winning coach of the yr to the worse coach ever. :shakehead

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
I was just thinking the other day...if Murray was planning on giving Maclean such a short rope, why even bother starting the season with him?

I, for one, would have loved to see either Trotz or Laviollette coach here.

Though part of me believes that Murray is far too meddlesome to have a coach with that pedigree here. He has a pattern of hiring unestablished coaches so he can retain control of the team.

We did as well as the teams coached by Laviollette and Trotz. Making the second round is not really an upgrade.

Clamshells

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 11, 2009

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/brown-dave-cameron-is-the-opposite-of-paul-maclean-1.242746

Phillips yelling at him in practice for no direction. His sarcastic attitude not liked by the players. Him wanting to run detroit's style from 5 years ago and not being open to change

Man this is some crazy stuff. He said 1000 games doesnt mean much in the presser before legwands 1000th game and then a younger player said in the locker room " why doesnt maclean just come in here and crap in phillips stall"

He went to a 4th liner before the game in the locker room and asked him to tell another forward who was a top 6 forward what his role was and what he was going to do tonight

Man, this audio clip... Dean really does nail down exactly what happened with the coaching change. Definitely puts some things into perspective that you don't normally see as a fan.

I was skeptical of Cameron taking over, and his ability for long term success, but if that's the attitude he brings to the team, I'm really happy that he's going back behind the bench again next year.

Tee Lo

May 1, 2015
You can't be a good coach if you're team is down by one goal with one minute left and you put out Neil, or play Phillips 20+ minutes a night. Or scratch Stone, Condra, and Hoffman.

Beville

#ForTheBoys
Mar 4, 2011
Engerlanddd!

Wow, I'll take it with a little pinch of salt...

But that's an eyeopener regardless.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad