Was Lucic the most idiotic thing Katz and his friends have done ?

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Few things:
-HFOil should start doing polls after big moves and close them a month after. That way we could actually see who was in favour of what at the time
-Our memory of the past gets shaded by current events, mine included.
-Oiler fans were hard against the Hall trade like the day it happened. But in the months and year after started to do a 180 since we made the playoffs and tried to attribute alot of the success to Larsson. I dont think anyone can disagree that after the 16/17 season, there was way, way, way too much "hey this deal made sense because we made the playoffs talk"
-Eberle trade was more indifference or support than Hall trade

Maybe its personally the Oiler fans I interact with in everyday life, because a shocking amount of them supported such deals. Maybe others associate with more level headed ones.

the eberle deal was because both sides agreed it was time for him to move on and after his playoff run we on this board knew full well if he came back in the fall he was going to be the whipping boy. Oilers just had no idea how to use Strome

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
If we go back to 2006 (pre-Katz, I know) to span the whole "Thirteen Years of Thirst", the double-whammy of the Pronger debacle and the Pisani multi-billion dollar contract first made me question the ORG's sanity. Kevin Lowe's battle with Brian Burke and subsequent Penner-signing were highly insane.

The firing of Krueger was incredible. That's one of those things where the ORG needed to put a limit on MacT in his first 15 minutes as GM. (I don't fault them so much for getting Eakins, who was a hot coaching prospect at the time, but it was a perfect storm of wrong-coach-wrong-team.) The Oilers' franchise, win or lose, had always been associated with class (Pocklington in later years aside), but the firing of Krueger by Skype put an end to that...

I didn't mind so much that Taylor Hall was traded. I think it's clear that there was some sort of locker-room problem around then, and whether Hall was part of that or not (I have no idea and neither do you), it seems clear that the team in general wanted to make a statement and establish a new direction, which wasn't necessarily a bad idea. I admit my bias here, because I never really liked Hall though he was a very talented player. Anyway, getting rid of Hall when they then had a core of McDavid, RNH, Draisaitl, and Eberle was at least a reasonable option if they gotten fair trade value. I quite like Larsson and I think at some point (hopefully next season) we'll see him back to his full potential again, but -- to state the obvious -- the Oilers only got about 40% of what they should have got for Hall. (We should be careful not to over-rate Hall, though... he has put in 1 good season in 3 in Jersey.)

The Lucic signing is similar to the Hall thing -- not necessarily a bad idea in principle, but when a guy is clearly trending downward, what idiot signs him long-term at 7 billion dollars a year or whatever...?

Even though Larsson has underperformed for two years and Lucic was a write-off, the Oilers should not have been crippled by those moves... but they were, because the ORG failed to address the glaringly obvious lack of talent on both wings (making Larsson seem expendable) and because Lucic earns more than Bill Gates, thus destroying the Cap.

Anyway, I'm so tired of dwelling on the Oilers' failings of the past 13 years that I'm just going to be positive from now on.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
If we go back to 2006 (pre-Katz, I know) to span the whole "Thirteen Years of Thirst", the double-whammy of the Pronger debacle and the Pisani multi-billion dollar contract first made me question the ORG's sanity. Kevin Lowe's battle with Brian Burke and subsequent Penner-signing were highly insane.

The firing of Krueger was incredible. That's one of those things where the ORG needed to put a limit on MacT in his first 15 minutes as GM. (I don't fault them so much for getting Eakins, who was a hot coaching prospect at the time, but it was a perfect storm of wrong-coach-wrong-team.) The Oilers' franchise, win or lose, had always been associated with class (Pocklington in later years aside), but the firing of Krueger by Skype put an end to that...

I didn't mind so much that Taylor Hall was traded. I think it's clear that there was some sort of locker-room problem around then, and whether Hall was part of that or not (I have no idea and neither do you), it seems clear that the team in general wanted to make a statement and establish a new direction, which wasn't necessarily a bad idea. I admit my bias here, because I never really liked Hall though he was a very talented player. Anyway, getting rid of Hall when they then had a core of McDavid, RNH, Draisaitl, and Eberle was at least a reasonable option if they gotten fair trade value. I quite like Larsson and I think at some point (hopefully next season) we'll see him back to his full potential again, but -- to state the obvious -- the Oilers only got about 40% of what they should have got for Hall. (We should be careful not to over-rate Hall, though... he has put in 1 good season in 3 in Jersey.)

The Lucic signing is similar to the Hall thing -- not necessarily a bad idea in principle, but when a guy is clearly trending downward, what idiot signs him long-term at 7 billion dollars a year or whatever...?

Even though Larsson has underperformed for two years and Lucic was a write-off, the Oilers should not have been crippled by those moves... but they were, because the ORG failed to address the glaringly obvious lack of talent on both wings (making Larsson seem expendable) and because Lucic earns more than Bill Gates, thus destroying the Cap.

Anyway, I'm so tired of dwelling on the Oilers' failings of the past 13 years that I'm just going to be positive from now on.

You get billion and million mixed up. also forgot to mention the Reinhard debacle as the 3rd major screw up by Chiarelli.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
the eberle deal was because both sides agreed it was time for him to move on and after his playoff run we on this board knew full well if he came back in the fall he was going to be the whipping boy. Oilers just had no idea how to use Strome

If management actually considered how fans reacted to their moves, things would be a lot different then they are now

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad