Was/Is Kiprusoff over rated?

Matti_A

Sep 21, 2005
Kipper's stats might not always have been among the best from his era but he had that rare ability to come up with a big save for his team when the game was on the line. One of those money goalies.

You would also almost never see him get rattled after a bad goal.

chunkylover53

Nov 26, 2013
If anything he is underrated. Barely anyone remembers him now, it seems like a forgotten memory to the average fan. He carried a mediocre team while facing an extremely heavy load.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
If anything he is underrated. Barely anyone remembers him now, it seems like a forgotten memory to the average fan. He carried a mediocre team while facing an extremely heavy load.

The other thing is how these days it seems like every goalie goes through stretches where you question whether they're falling off a cliff. Lundqvist every single season seems to face those questions at the beginning of the year. Price goes through stretches. During Kipper's prime, there was never really any question that he was the guy and he would give you a chance to win. Not that he never had bad games, but there weren't really any stretches where you thought about maybe giving the backup a spell in the net. At least, not until that last season.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Additional tidbit some will have forgotten here..
I will always have the additional association of Kipper with the burst of front-loaded-contracts...

If you remember back... Kipper and Darryl Sutter/Flames devised the first contract structure to circumvent the cap with the first extreme back diving contract... The first attempt was so extreme it was rejected by the league for breaking the loose initial CBA rules...
That's how blatant it was... It broke the '05 CBA rules! That was hard to do.

It started the ridiculousness we saw with the contracts up until the end of the last CBA.

Thanks Sutter/Kipper. heh heh..

nwaZ*

What does he today anyway? I remember reading that he liked to spend his summers alone in the wilderness fishing or something like that. :laugh:

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
What does he today anyway? I remember reading that he liked to spend his summers alone in the wilderness fishing or something like that. :laugh:

Apparently he lives in Calgary with his family and is a spokesperson for the Rainbow Society of Alberta.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu

He was just at the WJC's coaching Team Finland's goalies. Nobody in Canadian media noticed that? :help:

ville-husso-miikka-kiprusoff.jpg

Aceonfire*

As an Oil fan, he was absolutely underrated.

Going to back to even 2004, Kiprusoff regularly faced around 2000 shots against a season which was always near the top for goalies.

If anything it showed how bad the team in front of him was and he still performed at an elite level.

He (imo) was at the same level as guys like Rinne, and Lundqvist.

I found that out when I was looking at comparable seasons to Varlamov's last year.

Very few goalies face 2000+ shots every year and still perform at a high level.

Bradys Boys

Oct 30, 2014
Kipper was a great goalie one of my favourites and best in the last decade. Played 70+ games consistently if it wasn't for him the Flames would have been much worse. Very athletic in his prime has some remarkable saves kinda like Quick often today.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
I would agree with the consensus and go the other way, saying that for what he achieved he doesn't seem to get the recognition I think he deserves.

Devilspuppet666

Dec 25, 2010
Calgary
As a flame fan i honestly believe Kipper was the biggest reason we weren't always in the basement, if anything i found him to be underrated. He was hung out to dry every season it seemed. he could win us games we had absolutely no business winning. with kipper you have to watch the games to understand stats tell nothing about how great he actually was. I MISS HIM SOOO MUCH :'( his athleticism and flexibility always blew me away.

side note: alwasy LOVED his mask very identifable :) always looked pretty similar but i miss it
the_mask___miikka_kiprusoff_by_cortender-d4zfewi.jpg

Edit: its great to see him getting so much respect in this thread :)

Last edited:

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
His only bad season was the last one. You might fault him with delaying the Flames rebuild with his incredible play.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
His only bad season was the last one. You might fault him with delaying the Flames rebuild with his incredible play.

Not get off topic, but this is correct. I believe they had a trade to send him to Toronto but he didn't want to waive his NTC (very understandable).

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
If anything he was underrated. Never really mentioned when people were talking about best goalies of the 2000's. Would've won a few more Vezinas if Brodeur wasn't so damn good at the same time.

Agreed with the underrated part. He masked a lot of problems the Flames had for years and was the only reason they were not a bottom team.

Caged Great

Jan 1, 2007
Calgary
Honestly, if it wasn't for Kipper, I don't think the Flames make the playoffs in 04, 07, 08, or 09. With what he had in front of him, he did an amazing job. If the Flames had a good team in front of him at any point after 06, he might have a cup or two. Unfortunately that wasn't the case.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
no way

dude was one hell of a goalie and if he had better teams around him, more people would realize just how good he was

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad