Was/Is Kiprusoff over rated?

White Out 403*

Save % starting with the cup run year in 03 04

Career save % 912. I was trying to think of a goaltender in the same era as Kipper who has no real name brand reputation like Miikka, thought of the Wings, and googled. Jimmy Howard. Howard had a career 917.

So is Miikka over rated, or was he driven into bad numbers by being over played? Seems like his numbers tanked pretty hard after a few years. Discuss.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
I dunno about save % but he was one of the best during hjs prime. Howard plays on a much superior team. Without kipper calgary woukf havr been a basement team

Beantown Beatdown

Sep 10, 2007
Hamilton
Never watched many Flames games but from what I recall he faced A Lot of shots and played way more games then most starting goalies. But the guy could definitely steal you a few games. He was a solid goalie. Not under or over rated imo.

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
Kipper is by no means overrated. He played the majority of the games because the backups were terrible and he was really that teams only chance of winning. If he had a team like the wings he probably would have had a cup or two. Especially with Lidstrom on the D. He is the only reason until he retired that the Flames were not picking extremely high in the draft.

SuddenDeathOvertime

#FreeJohnScott
Sep 30, 2014
Kiprusoff delayed Calgary's inevitable rebuild by several years because he made them look like a much better team than they actually were. He was an amazing goalie.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Just about one year ago, Karri Ramo recorded the first shutout by a Flames goaltender not named Miikka Kiprusoff in 9 years and 10 months.

From 2005-2012, Kiprusoff had 273 wins, while all other Flames goalies combined for 22 wins.

SuddenDeathOvertime

#FreeJohnScott
Sep 30, 2014
Just about one year ago, Karri Ramo recorded the first shutout by a Flames goaltender not named Miikka Kiprusoff in 9 years and 10 months.

From 2005-2012, Kiprusoff had 273 wins, while all other Flames goalies combined for 22 wins.

Wow.
:laugh:

I mean, I knew he carried that team, but wow.

I Hate Blake Coleman

Bandwagon Burner
Jul 22, 2008
Saskatchewan
Kiprusoff played 70 games or more for SEVEN CONSECUTIVE SEASONS.

From 05-06 to his retirement, his backups won a total of 33 games. 11 of those came in the lockout season, spread between 3 other goalies.

Joey MacDonald's 8 wins makes him the winningest backup that Kipper has had since he was a full time starter.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I remember him single-handedly stealing a series from Detroit in a fashion I've only seen topped by J.S. Giguere.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
If anything he was underrated. Never really mentioned when people were talking about best goalies of the 2000's. Would've won a few more Vezinas if Brodeur wasn't so damn good at the same time.

embee

Apr 29, 2011

I don't like to base opinions just from numbers.... but wow.

And, being a Canucks fan, I can attest to the fact that Kiprusoff was definitely not overrated.

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
He was always a slow starter because he'd spend his summer in Finland hunting and drinking but he was a beast. Gotta admit I miss him in the flames net smirking after letting one in

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
As a hockey fan, I miss the hell out of him. He was always good for a highlight reel save or two in each of his starts.

Amazing goalie who IMO is really underrated because of some really bad teams he made look good / better than they were.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Could be yes or no depending on how you look at him, as Kipper kind of had a weird career path. In San Jose he wasn't much different than say a Ben Scrivens. Got traded to Calgary at the age of 26, and immediately broke out as a Vezina caliber goalie. Stayed elite for a couple years, but maybe in part due to his large workload he was anywhere from a #5-15 league ranked goalie in the latter half of his Calgary career.

That's my impression at least.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
Numbers were never mind blowing but when you see what he had to work with in games, then you are much more impressed.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Kipper is not overrated. He played 70-75/82 games every year, and we could really only rely on Iggy to get any scoring going.

I Hate Blake Coleman

Bandwagon Burner
Jul 22, 2008
Saskatchewan
The Flames during the Keenan years were essentially the Leafs, but with better defensemen. I won't say the Flames had better defense, but they did have better players on the backend like Regehr and a prime Phaneuf (inb4 Phaneuf is better now).

Keenan was all offense and Kipper was hung out to dry, which is why his stats suffered.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
As a hockey fan, I miss the hell out of him. He was always good for a highlight reel save or two in each of his starts.

Amazing goalie who IMO is really underrated because of some really bad teams he made look good / better than they were.

Agree with this. Loved Kipper when he was active, one of my favourite goalies in the league when he was playing. It just sucks he was stuck on some bad teams after the finals run. (Especially after the lat 2000's)

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Couldn't stand seeing his face with his helmet on top of his head after every whistle.

But other than that i think he had a good 5 season run on top of this league as part of the goaltending elite...

Him, Brodeur, Luongo, Lundqvist owned the goaltending podium 'back in the day'... and rightfully so..

Probably the most athletic goaltender of his era... was pure amazing when he was on.

You could tell why he didn't last as long some of his contemporaries because of how he relied on his elite athleticism.. once age took a bite on the thing that gave him his greatest edge on players... well..

Whose his comparable in today's game? Quick? probably... I consider him to be the most athletic of the elite presently. I don't expect Quick to have longevity to his career either.

Last edited:

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
I remember him single-handedly stealing a series from Detroit in a fashion I've only seen topped by J.S. Giguere.

Yeah, 2004. Without Kipper, the Flames don't come close to the SCF (heck, they might not even have made the playoffs).

A 2nd round pick for the best goalie the Flames have ever had. Pretty stellar deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad