Warning to the NHL's league office/management

nystromshairstylist

Dec 13, 2009
Given the free hand Las Vegas had in pulling players off of established teams in their expansion draft, I would STRONGLY suggest to the NHL that, no matter how much money Seattle (or whoever will be the next team added) pays to the league, that the number of players who can be exempted be increased substantially.

I say this because as a fan of a team that has sucked for decades, and is finally getting around to putting professional management together, if my team's roster is picked apart in 2 years while on the verge of finally reaching or winning the SC, and key players are pulled off by an expansion team undermining our chances, I guarantee you will never see me or my family step in to another pro hockey arena again, ever.

The league is already imbalanced enough, IMO the teams' rosters should be exposed based upon last 5-10 years' performance so the weaker teams like the oilers, NYI, etc should be close to or exempt from the expansion draft entirely.

Reactions: LivG and dkhockey

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
You can't do this. Seattle is paying 150 million more than Vegas. Doing that would affect future NHl expansion bids. You can't go back now. Vegas winning so much made expansion much more attractive to a lot of potential owners.

No one on HF when discussing hockey takes business and money into consideration. That was evident yesterday with the Trotz signing.

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017
One player isn't going to make or break your team. Teams have plenty of time to prepare their rosters so they don't lose a valuable player. It should't be as dramatic as you're making it out to be.

Reactions: Kahvi and cptjeff

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Even today the players Vegas got in the expansion draft don't look that great. On paper. They pulled off some trades that worked out great, had unexpected surges in player development, and they got a coach who somehow magically melded the team into a whole-greater-than-sum-of-parts result. It's a one-off miracle, and while it was incredibly fun to watch things shake out like that for the team, I would not remotely expect that Seattle could pull off the same miracle under the same rules. The odds are they'll come in, do as respectable a job at drafting their team as could be hoped, but the end result is going to be a lot more mundane. They won't make the playoffs.

Lightning won't strike twice. No worries. Keep the same rules. And really who cares - even if for some reason they do manage to be more successful than expected, what's wrong with that? It was fun to see Vegas do well. I'm not bitter.

Reactions: Seachd

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Kidding, right? The success of the Vegas team has been a huge bonanza for the league, in terms of story, new audience, and revenue. If anything, the next team should have MORE access to good players, not less.
Yeah but no one thinks about $$$ on here.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Given the free hand Las Vegas had in pulling players off of established teams in their expansion draft, I would STRONGLY suggest to the NHL that, no matter how much money Seattle (or whoever will be the next team added) pays to the league, that the number of players who can be exempted be increased substantially.

I say this because as a fan of a team that has sucked for decades, and is finally getting around to putting professional management together, if my team's roster is picked apart in 2 years while on the verge of finally reaching or winning the SC, and key players are pulled off by an expansion team undermining our chances, I guarantee you will never see me or my family step in to another pro hockey arena again, ever.

The league is already imbalanced enough, IMO the teams' rosters should be exposed based upon last 5-10 years' performance so the weaker teams like the oilers, NYI, etc should be close to or exempt from the expansion draft entirely.
Love how you act like all 31 teams are being picked apart. One player goes. If one player destroys your teams chances of ever winning, the team was pooched to begin with. Besides the fact that all the major impact players will probably be protected anyways, you're just spewing nonsense.

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013

You make it sound like expansion teams pick 3-4 top players from each team. Boohoo if you lose your 8-10th best player and I say this as a Flyers fan who is most likely going to lose a defenseman they picked recently in the first round.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA

Lamoriello has proven to be a good enough GM to maintain employment in that position for 30+ years, but he's not that good.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
The only thing I wish they would add is a team's ability to "buy" an extra protection slot. Base it on salary.

For example - you wanna go 7/3/1 but you have a #4 dman that you REALLY want to keep. You "buy" the extra protection with draft picks.

$5mil+ - first rounder
$3-5mil - 2nd + 5th
#1-3mil - 3rd + 4th

Something like that.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014

I'm confused... Are you calling this post a "Warning" to the NHL...? Have you actually drafted a letter and submitted it to the NHL or are you just blowing smoke on a hockey forum that is in no way affiliated with the NHL or followed by any significant member of the NHL?

The league is "imbalanced" ?? On any given night any team can beat any other team in the league... The NHL has some of the best parity of the major NA leagues. Look at the MLB: same top teams every year, look at the NBA: same two teams have made the finals every season for the last 4 years...

Teams like Edmonton or NYI should be exempt from the draft because of their own incompetence of management? What a goddamn joke. Edmonton has had a top 10 pick in 8 of the last 9 drafts, 4 of which were #1 Overall draft choices....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad