Blue Jays Discussion: WAR! Huh! What is it good for? Quick looks at players' whole on-field contributions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
So we should be led to believe the the Blue Jays see nothing from their TV revenue due to how the company handles revenue streams?

Yet payroll got to $138 million before the surge in fan interest because $138 is the break even point?

The more this discussion goes on the more it looks like the upper limit by 2017 could be pretty damn high if next season follows this one in terms of success.

IIRC Jays try to operate at a $15M or so loss, so I'd say $125M is the breakeven. An estimation of how they get there

Local TV Contract: $40M
MLB TV Contract: $30M ($25M USD * 1.2)
Ticket Revenues (2.3M fans @ $30 per ticket): $69M
Concession/Merchandise Revenue ($10 per fan): $23M

Right there you're already at $162M. Would assume operational expenses of around $40-50M. Rest of the money probably comes from revenue sharing (getting phased out after 2015) and discretionary fund money.

If you bump those revenue numbers up to 3M fans, you get an extra $30M or so. Probably offset by about $15M of expenses, and that's how I get to $150M payroll for next year. Very rough but meh.

If the Jays budgeted for 4M fans they could get into that really top tier of payrolls, but there is no way they ever do that unless there is a sustained (ie multiple year) period where they sellout every game. If the Leafs become good again there will be 25-30K there in April no matter how good the team is.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
IIRC Jays try to operate at a $15M or so loss, so I'd say $125M is the breakeven. An estimation of how they get there

Right there you're already at $162M. Would assume operational expenses of around $40-50M. Rest of the money probably comes from revenue sharing (getting phased out after 2015) and discretionary fund money.

If you bump those revenue numbers up to 3M fans, you get an extra $30M or so. Probably offset by about $15M of expenses, and that's how I get to $150M payroll for next year. Very rough but meh.

If the Jays budgeted for 4M fans they could get into that really top tier of payrolls, but there is no way they ever do that unless there is a sustained (ie multiple year) period where they sellout every game. If the Leafs become good again there will be 25-30K there in April no matter how good the team is.

All merchandise is pooled together and split equally among all MLB teams, so we get no benefit from increasing our merchandise sales directly.

Also the administrative expenses of operating all the farm teams + coaches + scouts + the traveling and draft and international budgets probably equal closer to $30-40 million in expenses than $15 million.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
All merchandise is pooled together and split equally among all MLB teams, so we get no benefit from increasing our merchandise sales directly.

Also the administrative expenses of operating all the farm teams + coaches + scouts + the traveling and draft and international budgets probably equal closer to $30-40 million in expenses than $15 million.

The $15M was incremental onto the initial projections of operating costs (which I had at around $40M). I don't even know why I put merchandising in there - my incremental revenues are solely ticket and concession based (concession revenues are generally close to my $10 per fan per game estimate).

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010

April, May, and June :naughty:

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
The only point i'm making is that the team is still not near the peak of what payroll could be.

No one is really arguing that either. I wouldn't be surprised if the Jays were still a profitable venture for Rogers at a $200 million payroll based on TV viewership alone, but it's not going to happen any time soon. People who are arguing financial restraint aren't doing it because they don't think the payroll can go that high, they're doing it because they don't think it will go that high. There's a huge, huge difference.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012

The TV number is the really frustrating one for me. The Yankees and Dodgers both have TV contracts that pay them an average of over $300 million per year for 20-25 years, and their TV viewership numbers don't even come remotely close to the Jays.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
The TV number is the really frustrating one for me. The Yankees and Dodgers both have TV contracts that pay them an average of over $300 million per year for 20-25 years, and their TV viewership numbers don't even come remotely close to the Jays.

It is quite frustrating. Its a shame Canadians are as gluttonous consumers as Americans that we are worth the same $ to advertise to.

Radiohead

Street Spirit
Sep 6, 2008
Kershaw up to 281 K's, with potentially 2 starts left. Can he get to 300?

Probably not, especially if the Dodgers clinch next week. Would be incredible though.

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
Kershaw up to 281 K's, with potentially 2 starts left. Can he get to 300?

Probably not, especially if the Dodgers clinch next week. Would be incredible though.

Ha did you seem freaking out while Mattingly was talking to him after been taken out in the 5th inning I believe.

He was certainly being assertive with the manager lol

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
Anybody try to get tickets on Ticketmaster? I was on it before 10 am with the count down. Then I i got put in a queue with the wait times going up and down. I had it open for all 3 games plus the wildcard. The wildcardtimer ran out saying tickets were sold out. But games 1, 2, and 3 just stayed on 18 min, 9min, 8 min. By 5pm I just closed it. anyone else have the same experience or was it just me that got screwed?

SubyDubyTML

May 13, 2013

That would be Mr.Rodger Brulotte.
An iconic Expos broadcaster. I got chills hearing him call that Martin HR. Some of my favorite Expos memories are him yelling "Vladimir, Vladimir, Vladimirrrr" everytime Vlad would hit a HR.

One of his most memorable calls was the "Walker Walker Walker" call. Fast forward to 8:30..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmoFRuJSDPw

He's been calling a couple of Blue Jays here and there. Here's his Bautista call, he used to say this one for Jose Vidro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpFtw0EM74c

Last edited:

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Despite having many RH hitters the Yanks line up looks somewhat weak.

half their regulars r benching i think, ellsburyy garndener, tiexera, rodrigues, mccann, grigorius, drew(17 homers), headley and beltran looks fine to me

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
anyone see that in the Yankee game? Ellsbury called on on interference on a popup. He clearly tried to interfere, you could see him stop and not run into the basepath until the fielder got there.

But I thought the hitter would be called out like a infiled fly or something, they call the runner out when it's interference?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad